Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soheeb16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Hey everyone,

My iPhone is (or was) iPhone 4 with 5.1 untethered Jailbreak.

Im playing Simpsons Tapped out, but I accidentally make a mistake that costs me 10 donuts (valuable currency), so I try and hack the game to get em back. Hacking requires Mobile Terminal. For some reason, alpine won't work as my password. Then I do the dumbest thing of all... I delete the master password file.

I had no idea this would brick my phone. Since then, I have been trying to restore my phone in a million different ways (using iReb, TU, editing host file, shift+restore, used different itunes, different computer, etc). but I ALWAYS get 1601 error. I am humbly coming to this forum, defeated and lost, for help.

Most help videos/tutorials keep saying use iReb, but it hasn't done squat for me. Maybe its because I am going to to 6.0 now? Also, I found other forums in which other dummies like me deleted the master password file and have had the same errors and no one seemed to have found a solution for those guys as well.

Any advice or links on how I can fix this would be much appreciated

EDIT: Oh when using iReb I tried installing regular ios 6.0 with shift+restore. I didn't try making custom firmware because from the best of my knowledge you can't install a lower firmware than the newest update and there is no iOS 6 custom firmware. Am I wrong about this?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It wasn't bricked. You could have saved it with an SSH ramdisk. To restore it to iOS 5.1.1, use the latest version of redsn0w.

soheeb16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
If bricked isn't the right word, then it certainly is stuck in a recovery loop. I am sorry but I know a lot less than I probably sound like I do (if I sound like I know anything at all). How would I go about using Redsnow for 5.1.1 when my phone is stuck in a loop and technically is already jailbroken?

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
That's what you get for trying to cheat the Simpsons.
simpsons_nelson_haha-1.jpg

Just let it install 6.0, do you really need the jailbreak?

soheeb16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
So I used redsnow again and though the whole process went through like normal, nothing happened in the end. Its still just stuck on the boot logo.

----------

Thats the thing, it won't install iOS6. It gives 1601 error every time I try on every computer I try. I don't know how to get passed it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Put it into DFU mode and click restore in iTunes. If you still get the error, use another computer.

soheeb16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
So any ideas on what my next move can be? I feel this issue is so specific that we are the pioneers of solving it. Countless hours of web searching is my evidence. This thread can be a standard and momentous thread for people who delete their master.passwd file.

But seriously... anyone have any idea how this can be fixed?

EDIT: AS I said, I tried everything. I musta tried DFU and restore like 20 times already on three different computers.

soheeb16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Ok so for redsnow I realize the first time I just "jailbroke" it. This time I actually tried to restore using the 5.1.1 IPSW and I get this error:

"Sorry, the current version of redsn0w restores only A5 devices or newer. Until redsn0w is updated, please continue to "stitch" your blobs into IPSWs of older devices"

I'm using redsnow 0.9.13dev4... is this the latest one? Is there any way to restore 5.1.1?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
you messed up an expensive phone over 10 donuts in a game? I don't even think Apple will help you out. You're pretty much stuck in that mode.

iphone46

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
My phone wouldn't restore after a attempted downgrade but after it sat for a few days and the battery died, it restored and I was getting 1600 and 1601. You might want to let the battery drain or open the phone and disconnect the battery and plug it back in.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
you messed up an expensive phone over 10 donuts in a game? I don't even think Apple will help you out. You're pretty much stuck in that mode.

This is how I feel about the OP. I played the Simpson's Tapped Out, and while it was "fun", I realized that the only way to progress in the game was to get donuts. Then, I also found out that the only way to get donuts in the game was to purchase them, you rarely got any donuts within the game itself. So I just stopped playing. :)

I'm sorry I can't help you OP, but it looks like maybe you'll need to see if your host files were change to avoid upgrading to iOS 6. If so, change them back to normal and see if you can upgrade to iOS 6 in DFU mode, that way, you can then downgrade to iOS 5.1 as long as you have your SHSH blobs saved.

soheeb16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
I don't understand the link between host files and iOS6 but ive used different computers with different host files so I don't know what else I can do to get around changed host files. I don't mind going up to iOS6 but as I said before, DFU mode always ends with a 1601 error.

I also tried to make custom firmware for 5.1.1 with snowbreeze but that gave me an error as well.

... I don't know what else I can do.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Hey everyone,

My iPhone is (or was) iPhone 4 with 5.1 untethered Jailbreak.

Im playing Simpsons Tapped out, but I accidentally make a mistake that costs me 10 donuts (valuable currency), so I try and hack the game to get em back. Hacking requires Mobile Terminal. For some reason, alpine won't work as my password. Then I do the dumbest thing of all... I delete the master password file.

I had no idea this would brick my phone. Since then, I have been trying to restore my phone in a million different ways (using iReb, TU, editing host file, shift+restore, used different itunes, different computer, etc). but I ALWAYS get 1601 error. I am humbly coming to this forum, defeated and lost, for help.

Most help videos/tutorials keep saying use iReb, but it hasn't done squat for me. Maybe its because I am going to to 6.0 now? Also, I found other forums in which other dummies like me deleted the master password file and have had the same errors and no one seemed to have found a solution for those guys as well.

Any advice or links on how I can fix this would be much appreciated

EDIT: Oh when using iReb I tried installing regular ios 6.0 with shift+restore. I didn't try making custom firmware because from the best of my knowledge you can't install a lower firmware than the newest update and there is no iOS 6 custom firmware. Am I wrong about this?

Just out of curiosity, are you an adult?

iphone46

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
I don't understand the link between host files and iOS6 but ive used different computers with different host files so I don't know what else I can do to get around changed host files. I don't mind going up to iOS6 but as I said before, DFU mode always ends with a 1601 error.

I also tried to make custom firmware for 5.1.1 with snowbreeze but that gave me an error as well.

... I don't know what else I can do.

Did you put it in pwned dfu mode and then try to restore? Are your blobs are saved for 5.1.1? I just went back to 5.1.1 and made an IPSW with my blobs stitched in and it restored no problem.

soheeb16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Ok since no one has any solutions it seems, I am going to take the initiave:

I have shsh blobs saved. I am currently trying to restore 4.1. I should note that ive never used shsh blobs but I don't know what else to do.

According a guy I asked, what I need to do is to stitch my 4.1 blob to the firmware, use ireb, and it will restore. I just wanted to ask the forum first if thats a good idea or if it could work.

Also, is there any other way to use these shsh blobs to my advantage? As I said, I dont really know what they are or how they work, so any direction is appreciated.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
So you made a mistake and spent 10 donuts and are now trying to steal them back from Apple and the developer? Thats assuming that you didn't download a pirated version of the game in the first place which probably wouldn't me much of a stretch.

Last edited:

soheeb16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
As I said, DFU mode doesn't work. Ok, so I have a question that means life or death for me at this point:

For some reason, I only have 3 shsh blobs, all for 5.0, and they are: b1, b2, and b3. So I only have betas backed up, which is weird because I was never on a beta (but then again, I don't really understand how shsh blobs work)

Using ISPW for 5.0 doesn't work. Do I have to use a beta? Can that even work? Is there anything else I could do?

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
As I said, DFU mode doesn't work. Ok, so I have a question that means life or death for me at this point:

For some reason, I only have 3 shsh blobs, all for 5.0, and they are: b1, b2, and b3. So I only have betas backed up, which is weird because I was never on a beta (but then again, I don't really understand how shsh blobs work)

Using ISPW for 5.0 doesn't work. Do I have to use a beta? Can that even work? Is there anything else I could do?

See if Apple can help.

Call Apple, be honest, and tell them exactly what you were trying to do.
Let us know what they tell you.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
nope your device is pretty much bricked. Could always try to get redsn0w to recognize it and boot tethered/jailbreak

----------

this is why Apple doesn't allow customization, people do stuff like this and end up with a paperweight .

soheeb16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Ok, so couple of updates:

I did stitch the shsh blob to ios5 beta 1, and then I ran ireb and tts server and shift-clicked, chose the newly stitched ispw, and it actually installed... BUT in the end it gave me an error 1. I looked it up and was told to use Redsnow's recovery fix, and I did, but in the end it said: "missing keys.plist data for this build". I don't know what that is or how to fix that. I tried creating a custom ipsw using redsnow but it said its only compatible with 4.3.3 and 5.0+ (which I technically am at 5.0 beta 1, but whatever).

So I made some progress but I don't know how to get past this error.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Ok, so couple of updates:

I did stitch the shsh blob to ios5 beta 1, and then I ran ireb and tts server and shift-clicked, chose the newly stitched ispw, and it actually installed... BUT in the end it gave me an error 1. I looked it up and was told to use Redsnow's recovery fix, and I did, but in the end it said: "missing keys.plist data for this build". I don't know what that is or how to fix that. I tried creating a custom ipsw using redsnow but it said its only compatible with 4.3.3 and 5.0+ (which I technically am at 5.0 beta 1, but whatever).

So I made some progress but I don't know how to get past this error.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...re_bad_origquery=true..0.0...1c.2.i0XJGXcMIFU take your pick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.