I messed up on Time Machine and lost a lot of important info.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by onthat, Dec 14, 2007.

1. onthat macrumors regular

onthat

So, I had a partition set up on my external drive. Tried to set up Time Machine and apparently erased the entire drive. Anyway to recover the information? Any help would be awesome.

I did a search and found a lot of threads on recovering files from a bad or failing disk...not sure if this would work the same way.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

these type of quick erase/format does not damage the data, rather, they only erase the mbr info, i think, try rebuild the mbr see if it helps.

3. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

I wouldn't try "repairing" the drive. There is nothing "wrong" with the drive. The more you mess with it the more chance of losing the data that is still there.
    Data Rescue II
    http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue_info.php
    It works very well, the best part is that is will non-destructively attempt to read what it can from your erased partition. It then lists the files that can be recovered, if you decide it is worth the money, you can but the license code and get your files.
    The process is the same for erased drives, reformats, damaged drives, whatever. In your case, your data is still there, intact. Just the directory is gone. Data Rescue will recover it.

4. djaveragejoe macrumors newbie

djaveragejoe

^^ Thanks for the info. The exact thing happened to me yesterday.I'm tryin the app now... Hopefully it'll work.

onthat: any update on your situation?

5. djaveragejoe macrumors newbie

djaveragejoe

Worked for all of my music and pics, about 80% of vids were also recovered. Not bad overall considering the price compared to some data recovery co's.

Thanks guys.