I might be a guest on a Canadian GLBTQ radio show to talk about my Gay Rights Group

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Prof., Feb 11, 2010.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

It's still in the planning stages, but basically, I was invited by an intern at ProudFM to be interviewed and talk about my Gay Rights Advocacy Group, GayForMarriage. Co-Founder of GFM, MacRumors user, iPodToucher will also be part of the interview. Hopefully they can have both of us on the line at the same time...?

Any who, none of this is set in stone and there isn't a definite air date. I just wanted to let the Gays and Gay Supporters of MacRumors know. :D

:D:cool::):eek: :eek:<-- nervous face

GFM Facebook
    GFM twitter

2. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

That is super awesome...good luck and be sure to post a link!!! Looking forward to hearing more about it.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm very proud of you, sir! Let us know when it happens!

4. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

I just got done with a prelim interview with the intern at ProudFM. His name is Nathan. Basically what we're going to do is an iChat video interview that will be posted on the site. If the station likes it, we'll be asked to do an On-Air interview with the host.

More details will be released as we talk it over more.

:D

5. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Congratulations :)

InTheNet, don't even think about commenting.

6. mac88 macrumors 6502

7. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

I was really nervous during the prelim, but I quickly got over it. He's really nice and genuine.

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

9. LowEnder macrumors member

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I was in the media a lot a couple of years ago. Radio is the best. Congrats on getting a place.

My experience:

- TV: Very stressful, you have to worry about looking good on camera, and you only get a few seconds to say your bit. You have to go to the studio, which can be tricky when I've got kids / school run/ a job. Advantage - it's your own words.

- Newspapers: Easy at first, then stressful later. Journo interviews you then buggers off and writes their interpretation of what you said, usually getting it completely backwards. Unless you know them personally, you have no chance of getting a preview or correcting their mistakes. This cocked-up distortion of what I said then became the version on record, which other media responded to.

- Radio: The best. No need to worry about your face or clothes, can turn up looking like a slob, doesn't matter. Staff friendly and relaxed, not like TV people. You get plenty of time to talk about your points in your own words, chat with the host, answer phone ins.

So congrats, you got the best one. Relax, be friendly, make your points. The station and the listeners already support you! You won't be facing hostile questioning, which I did a couple of times :cool:

After this, try to get on other local radio shows - they've got hours and hours of airtime they need to fill cheaply. Just ring the station staff and ask.