I miss the old days of phones and tech

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DryEyez, Nov 2, 2011.

?

Do you miss the simpler days of phones and tech?

1. Yes, I miss the cheap good old tech and how easy it was to make a choice!

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Nope, I love the vast endless variety of choices companies give me and embrace this!

45 vote(s)
    86.5%
  1. DryEyez, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

DryEyez macrumors 6502

I know this might not be welcomed, but I figure I'll create it anyway.

My iPhone 3GS contract is coming to an end now and with that comes a new contract and new phone. The 3GS I possess is still a good working phone (although I get this terrible interference during calls??) but it does really need replacing due to the several faults. So this brings me to the conclusion, I should renew my contract and upgrade with a brand new shiny phone.

I should say, this isn't a which phone should I get thread.

Moving on, this past week I've been looking what's out there, what phones are good, which are bad and I'll be honest, as a consumer, I find the prospect of actually making a choice a very daunting prospect. I miss the days where I would walk into a store, buy whatever handset 'looked good' (because lets face it they were all such dumb phones it didn't matter too much anyway) and walk out again. And if it was destroyed, I could buy another just fine, cheap as chips. Saying that my old k800i? lasted for a good 6 or 7 years working perfectly before dieing one day.

This is not a rant nor a which phone should I buy (although I am torn between staying with iPhone and getting 4S or the Samsung Galaxy S2, Nexus?) just a simple thread which I hope will convey my longing for perhaps, a simpler time which used to exist. As a consumer, and fairly knowledgable than the every day joe on tech (though perhaps that is the problem) I still find the choices extremely difficult to the point where I feel completely torn.

Also, when considering this thread, don't at all think I don't love the awesome technology that has been released so far and we have yet to see.

And just for your enjoyment, I have made a poll! Yay for polls! :cool:

2. monkeylui macrumors 6502

Yeah you know I actually feel the same way sometimes. Life just gets so complicated. Good luck choosing a new phone. Those are tough choices. I stuck with iPhone & upgraded to the 4S from the 33GS, but the sgs2 & the nexus do look pretty spiffy.

3. c3m macrumors member

Nowadays, people don't buy phones. They buy OS ecosystem.

Instead of looking into individual device. Look at which ecosystem you would like to use. (ie: iOS, Android, Windows Phone).

After you pick the ecosystem, choose the feature, function of the device you want.

4. Savor Suspended

Savor

I think from the 3GS is when Apple made progress in marrying decent hardware with their excellent future software updates. Based on internal specs, the iPhone 2G and 3G are really bad since their hardware, limited RAM, and GPU is so dated. Even at iOS5, 3GS seems to work decently. Couldn't say the same with the 3G on iOS4. I have an iPhone 2G for old time's sake, and it is almost unbearable to use sometimes because I can't use Pandora while I surf because of its limited RAM or just the lag and waiting when playing a game.

This is like when I went to the Mercedes dealership about two months ago. The salesman was saying how technology from 2009 and after has gotten really, really good. It is amazing to see all the computerized stuff when you are inside the car. A iPhone 3GS in 2011 is a smaller gap dealing with software performance than using a 2G/3G in 2009-2010. For me, I tend to like BOTH generations. But my cutoff is around 2009. Any phone that came before that year, and it is very hard to go back. I've tried the BlackBerry Bold 9000 and it was tough. I always wanted the SE XPERIA X1 (2008), but hear it was laggy even back then.

If old days is regarded as "2009", then I can't vote. That is my bare minimum year. But 2010 and after was amazing. Especially with the HTC Androids and the iPhone 4. These are type of phones you can use for many, many years.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

1a) People buy phones, not ecosystems.

2a) Apples target customer, is Johnny Lunchbucket, who has no clue

3a) Choose the features? They are not optioned like on a new car.

I like your rational and intelligent approach. I truly do.

The problem is only the "Geeks" that choose Android have the experience, knowledge and intelligence to make choices.

Apple rightly assumes their customers get overwhelmed if given any choices other than white or black. Most buy the 16GB because they don't know what that means either.

Apples right.... everyone and their grandpa has an iPhone. Dime a dozen in my area of the country.

I'm so thrilled with the effect it has on my stock. I'm glad Apple has won the race to the bottom. Nothing to think about. Hand over your money, and you are cool... :)

6. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you're both right and you're talking about the two target markets which there are for tech in general. I'm...somewhere in between. I'd love to hop onto Android, at the moment for 3 there is an exclusive deal (ends friday) in the UK on the 3 network for 5000 mins, 5000 texts, and unlimited (Yes unlimited no small print and no fair usage policy) for £30 p/m and the phone is free. Extremely tempted. On the other hand, I know iOS, love iOS, and worry about the poor battery life of Android. My iPhone would never last a day since I use it so much so Android could only be worse.

PS . Sorry, I did say this wouldn't be a which phone should I choose thread, just shedding some light on why I'm finding it difficult to choose.

7. monkeylui macrumors 6502

I don't know if this is an insult or not.

Well I chose my iPhone not as a status symbol but because I enjoy the experience of using it. I am a geek but I chose not to go with android because I don't want to spend every waking moment tweaking it. Which I know I would probably do. I really want to get that out of the way & use the technology. I don't care about widget size or my wallpaper moving (doesn't matter if I am using apps.). I also recommend apple to family & friends precisely for many of the reasons you state. I don't want to do tech support I'm done with it after dealing with windows so much. Close the hood & enjoy the drive is how I look at it. I think that's a good thing & I think that's apples philosophy. Well anyway. That's just me. I'll go drink some apple juice now ;)

8. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I guess you have to ask yourself whether you are a consumer or a "prosumer." With all of the options readily available, I enjoy researching my next tech purchase and knowing that I spent my money wisely.

9. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Again another compelling argument for iOS and not jumping to android. It is a minefield, but once I sign a new 2 year contract, I don't want buyers remorse for the next 2 year period...(saying that, I imagine I will have buyers remorse anyway) Maybe I should just pick up a nokia dumb phone, pretend its the 90s and smartphones don't exist

10. mcdj, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

The majority perhaps, but I know many people who have owned Macs for ages, and over the years have purchased iPods, iPhones, Apple TV, MobileMe, etc., all because they all tie together so nicely with their computers.

(I also know many non-Mac based iPhone owners who have ditched their PCs after getting a taste of the Apple way.)

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

I follow cell phone news every day, so I have this product roadmap in my mind of phones I want to own and check out. And if I don't like it, I just sell it.

To the OP, I suggest trying to get the BEST phone from each major OS right now.

iOS - iPhone 4s
    Android - Samsung Galaxy Nexus / Galaxy S II variations / Note
    WP7 - Nokia Lumia 800

Don't bother with the BlackBerry 9900 or any Symbian phone. Dead platforms and archaic UI. RIM and Nokia are in a transitional phase.

If you are on AT&T assuming you have a 3GS, I suggest 4s vs Skyrocket vs Focus S. The Lumia likely never arrives in the U.S. knowing Nokia avoids us like the plague. Makes sense for them to focus on their strengths and Europe and Asia do have more people than North America. Shame as the Lumia 800 could be the most important phone ever released for Nokia and Microsoft's platform that changes the tide for them both. And who knows if the Note ever arrives our shores either?

And if you want a cheap alternative with a slick interface, don't care too much for apps, and avoid a 2-year contract, then get the HP Pre 3. You can get them for $200 off eBay as prices have leveled off and sometimes even cheaper on CL if you live in the Bay Area.

12. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree with you there, particularly with blackberry, I tried a 9900 in store and found it a horrible phone to use. My partner used a blackberry torch, which to be honest, I found better. But no, no blackberry for me.

I am quite curious about Nokia's new transition and wonder if I can be persuaded into a W7.5 phone. I love Nokia design and the solid build quality (especially that of the N8), but hated the OS, so W7.5 I think was the right choice.

In any case, I suppose it is a decision between Nexus/SGS2 - IP4S - Lumia 800...as for the HP Pre 3, I'll be honest I have not heard of this phone before. (Also I am indeed based in Europe, UK, so Lumia would be an option when it is released in a few weeks time).

Maybe I will just wait and see...I suppose this relates back to my original opening post, choices, daunting, consumer nightmare (at least for someone so indecisive as myself), waiting for that next thing. Like a kid in a candy shop. :)