I mistakenly spilled water on my MacBook Pro 13"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sukanmi, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Sukanmi macrumors newbie

Hey guys, my name is suky and I I mistakenly spilled water on my MacBook Pro 13". I already took some rice and put the macbook in a big plastic bag with the rice and let the rice pull the moisture out of the machine for 1 day now. I heard if you tried to turn it on during this prices it will fry your computer and I hope not because I already tried it. Is it true? Is there anything I need to do now? I'm 14 and I am so scared. Please help.

2. maple1288 macrumors newbie

good thing to do

Hi...
    I don't think that's the best thing to do..maybe you can contact their customer service so they can explain to you what would be the proper thing to do,

Good luck!!!

3. Baytriple macrumors 6502

I have heard that if you infuse the rice with soya sauce the saltiness of the soya draws more water out.

I'm not sure of the effects Fish sauce but it's worth a try.

4. Sukanmi thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple doesn't have great costumer service is Nigeria, which is where I live.

5. macintoshi macrumors 6502

macintoshi

The best is to remove the powercord and have somebody who helps you to remoove the battery too, then take a dryer and go over the keyboard more times... and of course dont put the dryer very near the buttons, just in off to blow some air, not to make it hot!

6. Sukanmi thread starter macrumors newbie

But it has been a day, it's too late for that now. Anything else?

7. Benjamin, macrumors member

Benjamin,

Ok. The macbook is made out of aluminium and some plastic and other metals. The whole "one day" thing will be fine. No metal can rust that fast.
    The frying thing is just a myth. I think the hair dryer is the best you are going to get. Maybe leave it out in the sun or in front of the fire or something. Just don;t let it exceed temperatures of over 45 degrees (C) when off or 35 degrees (C) when on.

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

It is most definitely NOT a myth. If you try turn the computer while wet the liquid can conduct electricity and potentially short out components.

OP, it may be too late but open it up and take the battery out (if removable) and let it air dry for at least 24 hours before you try to turn it on. There may already be a short but even so make absolutely certain that it is dry before you try to turn it on.

Luckily it was water and not something sticky, but you still may have shorted something out.

9. Sukanmi thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok can metal rust in 3 days like from Monday - Wednesday?

10. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

I'll be honest with you, aluminum won't rust. It would have to be made of iron to rust. Even if it was iron, because you put it in rice, moisture is lost so it can rust. Rust needs moisture, as you can dip an iron nail in distilled water and you won't see it rust.

11. Sukanmi thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok let's just say my laptop got fried by the water. What exactly do apple have to replace when I gO to them and how much do the cost?

12. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

There's a change your macbook pro might make it if you just let it dry long enough.

When your motherboard short circuits(which I believe is pretty much the only place it will really short circuit) it's going to be really expensive to replace it. I'm not sure about the price, but you can expect something like a 1000 dollars or more. You might as well buy a new macbook pro.

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Have you even tried turning it on yet? After a few days of drying it should be alright. The keyboard is one assembly by itself as shown here:

[​IMG]

So that water never reaches down into the rest of the machine unless you do it like multiple times and ruin the electrical tape.

All Apple has to replace is the top case. I do't know how much that costs nowadays since I've only replaced one on a pre-unibody. It wasn't much though.

14. Sukanmi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys. I will open it tonight to see. Btw I found a water by both aides of the laptop but it was still wet. I cleaned everything before it dried. Btw I don't think I mentioned it worked for some minutes then went off. Does that mean its fried?

15. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

You will most likely have to replace the logic board. Probably will cost ~$1000, its expensive, probably not even worth keeping the mac and just getting a new one

16. Sukanmi thread starter macrumors newbie

No but I have a warranty. Won't that lower the price or something?

17. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

No, warranties do not cover water damage

18. Sukanmi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys I opened it up. But it didn't turn on. I tried charging it the green light showed up but wouldnt change to orange. I pressed the battery button at the side and the first one was blinking so I left it tO charge for like 15 minutes and green lights turned off. I'm guessing something happened to the battery? What should I do?

19. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

20. HolleyS macrumors newbie

Water on macbook pro - £800 repair bill

Just wanted to share my experience in case you have done the same...I knocked a water over next to where my macbook pro was sitting, it went in the left hand side where the mac charges etc. It was on standby mode, so when I opened the lid it automatically came on. I mopped up the water, and looked at it not knowing what to do. After a few minutes the screen had lines on it and it started crackling, so I turned it off. I also put the power lead in to see if the light came on which it didn't. I took the back off using a sunglasses screwdriver, put it on a bed of rice in the airing cupboard, and even put it in the oven with the fan (no heat) on and left it to dry for three days. Meanwhile in bits thinking I had lost all my files and photos of my children. I tried turning it on, nothing. Tried putting the power lead in, nothing. Took it to apple....it was going to be at least £500 to repair. Ended up getting it fixed privately as the parts were cheaper....£800 later my macbook is returned, and Apple had said that it might have been better to buy a new mac than get them to repair it. So...if you hear crackles, or the screen goes mad, then I think you should expect that the logic board is frying!!!! Apparently I should have turned it off straight away - but I think the fact it fired up when I lifted the lid was my downfall. I also don't believe the rice thing - as I was worried about rice or dust getting in the gaps and also the water is inside, so how is it going to draw water out? Thankfully my hard drive was fine - so a very very expensive mistake....