I must be the only one here not taking delight in Scott's departure

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Beeplance, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Let me say this from the start. I believe that Scott has never cut corners when implementing any design features of iOS. iOS has been a solid software system since iPhone OS 1, and may jolly well be the primary reason why so many people buy their iPhones too. The sudden "sacking" of Scott took me by surprise, and I really fail to see the real reason behind this. Why sack a person who has been doing his job all along? Is it because of the blunders he made along the way, or maybe those more recently? Is it because an increasing number of people perceive iOS to be so called "boring" and has been desperately waiting for Apple to roll out drastic changes to the UI? Is it because Scott's mentality of designing iOS is no longer appreciated because it is now deemed "old-fashioned"?

Many people point fingers at Scott's rigid mentality of constantly implementing "skeuomorphism" in the design of iOS. However, the issue here is that, many people, including me, do not necessarily find this a problem when navigating around iOS. The ONLY reason why people find this feature disturbing and distasteful is because the same people have been using it since 2007. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this design; people are just essentially bored with this. And when people get bored, they complain and whine about it. What's even more ironic is that the same people mentioned above CONTINUES to buy iOS devices even though they proclaim they hate that particular interface. The point here is that even though people inside Apple may not like this design feature of iOS or they think it is too laidback, this does NOT need to warrant a sacking of Scott. He has done nothing but continually implement new things for Apple year after year since 2007, and this is what he get after 5 years of work, a sign of his irrelevance in a complany he worked so hard for?

Then again, people may also put the blame of him for the recent fiasco regarding the poor Maps application which Apple touted as one of the biggest features of iOS 6. Even in my area, I admit that Maps is really not up to standard with many POIs missing and the environment is very shabby-looking. Of course, this naturally caused an uproar among disgruntled consumers who wanted nothing more than a PERFECT maps application since it was APPLE that designed it. But, hey, let's face the reality here. Apple has not been a dedicated mapping company like our dear friend Google, and mapping out EVERY SINGLE petrol station, shopping mall, financial office is no easy feat, that I can assure you. The situation here is that people are BENCHMARKING Apple's newly introduced maps with GOOGLE'S maps, which have been there since a long time ago. Can anyone please refresh my memory, was google maps as brilliant from the start as it is today? It is not even perfect as of today, but people enjoy comparing things, but how is comparing a new thing with an old thing a fair comparison? People also say how Apple is the biggest and richest company in the world and it has the duty AND resources to achieve the optimal outcome for anything. Look from this point of view, you can't blame the maps application and it's somewhat lackluster performance sorely on ONE person. Yes, he's the head of iOS software, but does he fly the planes around by himself? Is he the only one who is sitting in front of computers everyday designing all the core apps that you use? Obviously NOT. Yes, he's in charge of the team and has to take responsibility and all that. But if Tim Cook were to put anyone of you in his shoes, can YOU guarantee you'll do a better job?

All in all, from my perspective, Apple should NOT have removed Scott from his position. Multiple reasons may have contributed to this, maybe including some internal issues which I do not care about. But people, we need to stop blaming this one person for everything bad that has happened so far. You guys are essentially nit-picking at all his wrong-doings without actually complementing the good that he has done. Will the iPhone 5, putting aside the scuffs and purple-haze issue (hardware problems), be so successful today if not for the development of iOS? Will the iPad be the most popular tablet on the market without iOS? You guys need to ask yourselves these questions before launching a full-scale assault on a man who had always tried to do his best for his company. It is only human to make mistakes along the way in life, let's do Scott a favor and stop all this nonsensical blabbering solely on all the mistakes he made.

2. zbarvian macrumors 68010

It's not just iOS users that are bored with iOS, it's more or less the world. It's not seen as an evolving product. I don't impute all the bad aspects of iOS on Forestall, but I'd really like to see Ive at the helm of visual design. Plus, there are reports that Forestall was completely hardheaded and very difficult to work with.

3. atteligibility macrumors regular

are you planning to write a book about it?

4. irDigital0l Guest

5. Beeplance thread starter macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Apparently not. Just typing out my immediate thoughts after gaining knowledge about the issue.

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Indeed I think you should sell a book on iBook store app!

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm not delighted that he's gone...It's bad news when anybody loses their job, but the fact is that IOS has born the brunt of many a critic here, myself included..It needs a better interface, more functionality, and in short Forstall was not up to the job, or had different views on how it should be done.

He has fallen on his own sword in many ways by refusing to sign the letter of apology RE Maps, an App that even the most die-hard Apple fan would have to admit was half baked, and a mess. A major re-think and design for IOS7 can only be perceived as a good thing going forward. I seriously doubt that he will have much trouble finding another job, but close workmates have reported that he is "Difficult" and not a team player. Once he lost the protection afforded to him by SJ, the writing was on the wall. I just hope that IOS can regain momentum now, and that we see a decent version 7. Apple have been so busy designing great new products that they are allowing the software side of things to slip. In this I include 10.8.2, but that's for another thread.

8. Akuratyde macrumors regular

Your argument lost any credibility with the above statement. Beyond my own personal opinion that it's ugly, my professional opinion as a Graphic Designer is that it creates an inconsistent look between applications in the operating system and that it lends absolutely nothing of value to the overall user experience. The little torn edges of paper in Calendar (formerly iCal) don't help the user to understand what functions the app performs. The same can be said about the paper and leather textures in Reminders or the odd leather and stitching in Find My Friends. Don't forget, one of Dieter Rams' 10 Principles of Good Design is that Good Design Is Unobtrusive.

9. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I'm not asking for drastic changes, just some that will keep iOS current, or preferrably ahead, of it's competitors.

The bulk of the recent changes or additions to iOS simply do not work as promised.

Yes, it is fair. We HAD working, accurate maps, Apple promised better ones and forced their own upon us.

I don't care how long Google has been in the mapmaking business or how new Apple is to it. All I care about is having a product that works as promised. I used to have accurate maps, now I don't.

Yes, I wouldn't have assured Cook that they were ready for the public. He lied to Tim, he lied to the customers, and, when they were proven to be sub-par, he failed to take responsibility.

One could easily say that we should stop all this nonsensical blabbering based on the positives he made years ago. There hasn't been a big, fully working, positive additions made in a long while.

10. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Thank you. I'm glad someone finally wrote it this way.

Using the OP's logic, a new car company could start off with something akin to the model T and nobody should complain. I mean, it's only fair, Ford was given hundred years to perfect their models...

11. sexiewasd, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

sexiewasd macrumors regular

I just got my iPod Touch 5 in the mail yesterday. It's an absolutely beautiful piece of hardware. I however can't say that iOS is on the same level. The notifications center is nearly unused, and we still don't have full multi tasking capabilities. Document handling is a mess really. It's like they hate the idea of file systems, but just aren't clever enough to figure out something better, so what we are left with is a mess of files stuck in different app directories. We are starting to see some document passing between apps, but honestly that just leads to a confusing situation where you may or may not be creating different copies of files spread across different apps left in varying different states of completion. I've been forced to used dropbox and FTP servers to replace what should be a local file system.

iOS is great if you want to play angry birds, check facebook, and waste some time, but for doing anything else other than that it's not so great, and there isn't any good reason that it shouldn't be. Ive working on iOS may end up being a good move. I think it will be, especially if we can get some basic hardware controls in the multitasking bar like flashlight, bluetooth/wifi, brightness toggles, but overall I think it's more exciting that federighi is taking on more responsibilities in iOS, and i'm hopeful that he can bring in some real power user features to what is currently a toy OS, because I really like the direction that OS X has been heading as a simple UI that is a great environment to work in without sacrificing the features that make it powerful as well. Either way, if it's federighi's features or Ive taking over Steve's position as captain of good taste, I think this was the right move, and had absolutely nothing to do with maps. Anyone who didn't see maps as a coming disaster is delusional. Maps is google's pride and joy. Due to the position that google was putting Apple in with maps it's clear that it had to go, but it shouldn't have surprised anyone that it would be a down grade. It will be years before it's anywhere even close to google's offerings, and probably even longer now that google's seen Apple botch the launch by playing it up as a major feature in an otherwise lackluster iOS launch. Maybe it was Scotts fault for not driving iOS ahead fast enough, but under that time table with an undertaking as large as maps was and is I think the fault really lays with whom ever decided to lay such a high percentage of the development time on iOS 6 into maps and passbook (maybe that was Scott). It's clear that they were and still are very afraid of the competition's flashy features and are making some mistakes in priorities to play catch up, when Apple really needs to have a sit down and take a close look at iOS and think "how can we make this better" instead of looking at android and thinking "crap, people are buying this". The real culprit here wasn't Scott or any one other person. It was fear and a loss of focus.

just my two cents.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

1. The guy is apparently a prick to work with.

2. iOS has grown stale.

3. Siri is a joke (googles search app in the App Store makes it look like one).

4. Maps is a cluster to the highest order.