I need a gimmick

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
A few folks here have a gimmick. edesignuk has the Keira pics. Duff-Man has the "oh yeah" at the end of each post. There are a couple more that I am probably forgetting.

In any event, I've decided I need a gimmick too. Any suggestions?

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
You could always put your name, or a nick name at the end of each post, like Mr. Anderson, Arn or Paul Whannel does.

Then again, I would just be myself. Don't try to be anyone but yourself.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Inkmonkey said:
A few folks here have a gimmick. edesignuk has the Keira pics. Duff-Man has the "oh yeah" at the end of each post. There are a couple more that I am probably forgetting.

edesignuk & Duff-man also consistently provide valuable & amusing content to their posts...

You need more than a gimmick to be a playa!

:)

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
Inkmonkey said:

This reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where George wants to be called T-Bone. Classic.

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
You guys are taking this too seriously. :rolleyes:
I was hoping to get lots of silly responses on a boring Friday afternoon. Humor me.

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
monkeydo_jb said:
This reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where George wants to be called T-Bone. Classic.
That's the spirit! That's the kind of angle I was going for.
"Hey T-Bone!"

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
You could pretend to care about people, like wdlove. No matter what topic comes up, he's always there with his comments about hoping people are OK and needing to be considerate, etc. What people don't know is that he raises kittens for the express purpose of feeding them to his pit bulls before fights. Right now, he's probably picking a fight with a blind man. But his gimmick - which he's been unceasingly adept at maintaining for years - is that he's a nice guy. And he's managed to fool so many of us.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
After giving someone help or responding to something, you could rate their posts from 1 to 5 bananas. like...

"... so that should solve your problem.
Now, about your post... your grammar needs a little work and you have a political sig, so I'm going to have to dock you. 2 bananas."

but the bananas would be like, little pictures of bananas.
that way you could get away with directly insulting people, because they would think it was "adorable" and "amusing".

Lee Tom

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
jsw said:
You could pretend to care about people, like wdlove. No matter what topic comes up, he's always there with his comments about hoping people are OK and needing to be considerate, etc. What people don't know is that he raises kittens for the express purpose of feeding them to his pit bulls before fights. Right now, he's probably picking a fight with a blind man. But his gimmick - which he's been unceasingly adept at maintaining for years - is that he's a nice guy. And he's managed to fool so many of us.
Didn't know that about wdlove. But I do respect him being able to maintain the gimmick all of this time. That is pure dedication to the gimmick artform.

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
LeeTom said:
After giving someone help or responding to something, you could rate their posts from 1 to 5 bananas. like...

"... so that should solve your problem.
Now, about your post... your grammar needs a little work and you have a political sig, so I'm going to have to dock you. 2 bananas."

but the bananas would be like, little pictures of bananas.
that way you could get away with directly insulting people, because they would think it was "adorable" and "amusing".

Lee Tom
That is genius! Love it. Not so sure I'm gonna go with it yet so I'll dock you 1 banana.
(Don't have banana pictures handy right now)

Edit: Just decided I'm gonna dock you another banana for having 2 first names.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Inkmonkey said:
Didn't know that about wdlove. But I do respect him being able to maintain the gimmick all of this time. That is pure dedication to the gimmick artform.
Hopefully you're kidding. He doesn't REALLY raise kittens for the sole purpose of feeding them to pit bulls before fights.

And, BTW, I'm not REALLY captain underpants... ;)

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
Capt Underpants said:
Hopefully you're kidding. He doesn't REALLY raise kittens for the sole purpose of feeding them to pit bulls before fights.
Why wouldn't he? He can't just feed them strays. Never know where they've been.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Inkmonkey said:
vniow writes each of her messages in a different color.
I used to (long ago, not here) go out of my way to capitalize words inappropriately and refer to myself in the third person. You're welcome to it :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Capt Underpants said:
That easy for you to say, living down there in Texas. Here, in the Boston area, we're all too familiar with the stories of small bags being found by the side of the highway, containing nothing except for kitten tails and the occasional Apple Store receipt. And, in case you haven't noticed, 'wdlove' is all too easily transformed to 'devlwo', which clearly stands for "devil worshipper". I'm sorry to have to tell you this, Captain, but evil surrounds us, and occasionally it is amused by posting stories from the online boston papers.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Inkmonkey said:
Just decided I'm gonna dock you another banana for having 2 first names.
Yeah, never trust a guy with two first names. Luckily, my real name has neither "Lee" nor "Tom" in it.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
You could use your MR posts as transparent shills for your blog. You could even update your sig every day with your latest blog posts. That one might be taken, though....

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
jsw said:
And, in case you haven't noticed, 'wdlove' is all too easily transformed to 'devlwo', which clearly stands for "devil worshipper".
Well this is all making more and more sense now.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Inkmonkey said:
Docking you 4 1/2 bananas for misleading us.
Does that mean (given a five banana max and counting the first two dockings) that he's now a banana and a half in the hole, as it were?

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
jsw said:
Does that mean (given a five banana max and counting the first two dockings) that he's now a banana and a half in the hole, as it were?
Hmmm...I dunno. Not sure if the banana rating should be per post. Or per person. Either way, nobody wants a banana and a half in the hole.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Inkmonkey said:
Hmmm...I dunno. Not sure if the banana rating should be per post. Or per person. Either way, nobody wants a banana and a half in the hole.
Indeed.

Perhaps all should be granted a banana bunch to begin with, from which each post either adds or removes bananas. Those whom the monkey blesses grow rich with bananas - which might become another sortable column in the members list. Those who anger the monkey find themselves banana-less and would have to grovel before the monkey in hopes of being tossed a fruit or two.

The concept does have a certain a-peel, n'est pas?