I need a use for my old desktop (Opteron 144 1.8 @ 2.43GHz | 3GB | dual 7600GT SLI)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by LTX, Sep 5, 2009.

1. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

I recently got a new desktop computer and my old one has since been sitting in a box, withering away. I thought that you guys could help me come up with some creative/random/useful ideas on how to give the computer a purpose.

Specs:
    AMD Opteron 144 1.8 @ 2.43GHz
    DFI LANParty NF4 Ultra-D (with SLI mod)
    3GB DDR RAM
    Two EVGA e-GeForce 7600GTs in SLI

Any ideas will do, as long as they don't involve destroying the computer. :D

2. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Home iTunes server? Aquarium? Cat's litter box?

3. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Three little words, FOLDING AT HOME. Feel free to use the username Horatio and team #34479 ;)

4. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Can you upgrade it to at least 4 GB of DDR RAM? If that's possible, you can at least run Windows 7 Home Premium Edition in 64-bit mode on it. :)

5. LTX thread starter macrumors regular

LTX

I was thinking of making it a file server, actually. But then I thought, I don't have a TV in this room and the only time I'll need files is when I'm at home, and I'd always be on my desktop (which is off when I'm not at home, but I guess with a file server I could get my files remotely).

Used to fold with that desktop and my PS3; my team got into the top 1000 teams, and with only about 5-10 people folding. :p

I suppose I could start that up again, along with SETI, but that means adding another $25/month to my electricity bill (425W power supply, assuming 100% usage).

I could do that, but what am I going to use it for? I bought a Macbook Pro for a reason. :D

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7. LTX thread starter macrumors regular

LTX

Of course, why wouldn't you be able to? :confused: I set up F@H on ten school computers 2 years ago that had integrated graphics and P4s. They folded slooooowly, but they folded.

8. lozzy1234567890 macrumors member

what is F@H exactly? ive seen on my ps3, saying something about sharing processing power etc. but what are the pros and cons of running it?

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This makes a bit more sense now you're going to do CPU based folding then? :confused:

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would turn it into a file server. I plan to turn my current desktop into a linux file server when I replace it. It will just host movies and music files for different things to tied into and use.

11. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I've played with Windows 7 RC 1 (Build 7100) and it actually works very well with no stability issues. Mind you, if your Opteron CPU is a single-core unit it could be just a tad slow compared to a system with a dual-core CPU.

12. LTX thread starter macrumors regular

LTX

The unused CPU power of when the PS3 (or your computer) is sitting there turned on but idle is used to run a protein folding simulation application developed at Stanford which works to find cures for diseases. Your account gets points for every work unit you complete, depending on how complex it was and how long it took to complete. The points are for show only, though. :p

Pro: feel good that you're donating your idle processor power to a good cause

Con: computer/PS3 must be on to fold

13. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Also works while your using it, say your web browsing/watching movie, your only using ~25% of your CPU, the other 75% could be folding.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You need to add to that con besides just on. it causes the computer/PS3 to suck down a lot more power. For example running my on and idleing monitor off pulls about 110W of power. Run folding at home that kicks up the CPU to 100% load that will cause the PC to pull 170-180W with out monitor.

15. Vster macrumors 6502