I need advice from people who suffer or have suffered from panic disorder.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ghall, Jun 8, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Hi. For the past few years I have suffered from panic disorder, and I have been recieving therapy, and taking meds, but recently my panic has got pretty bad. I'm just wondering if any other MacRumors members suffer, or have suffered from panic or something similar, and has any advice on what works to combat this life-debilitating disorder.

This is a spin-off of this thread.

2. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

I frequently get a free-floating anxiety that I suffer through without meds and will get better when I'm distracted (like being on MR:) BUT I've had 3 major panic attacks, all related to to skiing and being in a wide open space. The attacks left me immobile and thinking I would die if I moved (not a good way to be on a mountain); slowly I inched my way down. Never stopped me from going up the mountain again.

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I'm the same with wide open spaces. So frustrating isn't it?
    Makes it extra hard to get to get to my local Apple Store. :(
    I haven't had a full blown panic attack in a while. Mainly just little bursts of panic, or feeling many of the associated symptoms. But I did get a major hot flash today. Not fun, as you know.

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Well, first off it's good to hear that you are getting treatment. In addition with sticking with whatever treatment/management routine you are currently undergoing, I'd suggest looking into meditation. Particularly what they call mindfulness meditation. Jon Kabat-Zinn has a couple of books out on this or you could look for a local Zen center that offers courses in basic meditation.

If you pursue meditation, make sure you clear it with your therapist (you might even ask him for a meditation center recommendation, as I've noticed a lot of meditation teachers have psychology/therapy as their "day job", so he might know someone who could tailor your meditation practice to your disorder).

Good Luck!

5. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I have suffered from panic attacks. I was on Paxil for a short time, but my doctor and I agreed that, in my particular case, medication was not the best option. She referred me to a program at a local hospital that used biofeedback therapy. Though the program seemed very good, I never did go through with it, for a variety of reasons.

Since that initial series of attacks, which happened about 10 ago, there are still times when I get panicky, but I've always been able to "talk myself down" using deep breathing and other relaxation techniques.

In the end, I think I really just needed to work through some personal issues that were causing/contributing to my attacks. Everyone is different, and I don't know the particulars of you and your situation. So this is not to say that you shouldn't take medication. But, like the previous poster, I do urge you to consider and investigate alternative therapies (biofeedback, meditation, etc.), particularly if you are not satisfied with the treatment you are currently receiving.

6. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, I am on Prozac,and I've gone through various kinds of therapy, and I am now trying out bio-feedback. Nothing seems to work, and I have learned that this cannot be solved by medication alone. I'm just trying to get a good idea of what are some things I can do to treat it, and what has worked for people.

I have many things to cope with the anxiety, such as humor, 3d art, web design, (learning to) code, IMing, gameing, etc. While they are great short term solutions, what do I do when I can't use any of my coping strategies? I really just want a long term solution.

7. mel0202uk macrumors newbie

hi there
    i feel for u ive been suffering from panic attacks for 17 years .
    id say the last 7 years they have got alot better .
    ive been on various meds like citalpram,tamarzipam,proxac an so on ive seen numerous therapist which did help showed me breathing exercises but the break through was when they put me on a new med about 7 yrs ago.
    i swear it was a wonder drug to me the drug in question is called cipralex.
    i still get the odd day where i have a bit of anxioty but im doin well as for a couple of of those yrs i cdnt even go out my front door.
    dont give up you can recover from this disorder
    all the best mel0202uk

8. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

I am on a tricyclic antidepressant for migraines and it has helped my anxiety a bit. I used to be a ball of nerves 24/7 but it has calmed me down some. For short-term (and probably long-term too), I'd suggest exercise. That is how I work out my anxiety, nerves, aggression, stress, etc.

You are correct in realizing that this cannot be beat with medication alone. Medication can only treat the way in which you respond to negative stimuli, but it can't control the stimuli itself. As such, if you find yourself in a bind, you may find the medication not working as well. My medication has done WONDERS for me, but when I do everything wrong (stay up late, skip meals, etc.), I'm still going to get a migraine.

9. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

yah anxiety disorders suck. I was really bad with OCD for a three year period then it just kind of stopped. I used to check the door 14 times, had terrible thoughts, checked light switches 10 times before bed. Had to check the door in the middle of night to make sure someone locked it. It was hell. And I had the odd panic attack. Never once took meds and one day I just snapped out of it and it hasn't bothered me since. I don't really have any advice seeing as mine came natural and it just stopped. But I know how you must feel it was the worst 3 years of my life.

10. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yeah me too, Mine started back in May when i was admitted to hospital , i was dehydrated potassium level was through the roof. Since that occured i have been exremtly picky on the foods i eat i keep thinking is there any potassium if so how much? And i had my good days were i would feel fine i would just get back into my normal routin and i will feel sick again and be back at square one worrying about everything.I reaaly hate the wide open spaces, being in a crowd with a lot of people It got to the point that i had about 4 or 5 give vouchers to go and spend at a music store i didn't due to the pressure so they expired. Even as small as going to tea in a resturant or a barbeque and worse drinks at my next door neighbors! If i do have to go somewhere, i make sure i am up the end of the table so i can see everyone or my back is up against a wall.

I also have a eye disease Retinites Pigmentosa which at the moment there is ano medication for not even a cure. Because of this problem i hate being in public spaces for the fear of bumping in to some one and a potential argument starts

So far this year has sucked, Me being sick, My Nana and daughter have heart scares, and now my Dad and Uncle have to be tested ( there dad died of heart complications when i was 5)

My Other Grandfather has a 1 - 30 chance of survival - His main vien going to his brain is 97% blocked!

it sucks, but therepy + meds i guess (i hope) will sort me

11. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I developed a severe case of depression with general anxiety following a very stressful near-death event that I won't get into here. Up to that time, I never ever had any mental problems and was always very stable emotionally. I guess this experience just was too stressful and it affected my brain and nervous system very severely. I went into therapy 2 times per week and a regimen of antidepressants, benzodiazapine, and anti-psychotic meds to reduce the depression and constant agitation/anxiety. I read all I could on coping with anxiety, and of course the more I read about it the more fearful I became of getting worse and not being able to work or function in normal life. But I learned that you just have to keep doing your normal activities in spite of how bad you feel. There were mornings where I would just not be able to muster the energy necessary to drink coffee or read the paper, and often cried in the shower out of desperation about having to go to work. But if you just keep doing it, and telling yourself that you can still function even though your mind is full with catastrophic thoughts, you will eventually probably pull through it. It took me 4 years, but I am now back to functioning normally and happily enjoying my life without any meds whatsoever. I now look forward to all of life's activities. Just try to keep on going and look forward to a brighter future that will begin to sneak up on you. Good luck.