Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m. godoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Hello everyone, i am planning on buying a my first mac: (Apple MacBook MB466LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop) you see i REALLY need my computer now (my vaio died on me ) because of school matters

You might ask yourself why would i buy this particular model if there's already a newer one (macbook pro 13) well it all comes down to money.
The ugly truth is that I can only afford this one and i believe there are no substancial differences (slightly faster processor and backligh keyboard which are fantastical but....).

Here's where i need your advise guys, i heard there's a rumor saying that macbook prices may go down because of new products in the upcoming weeks, so i was wondering if you think macbook pros might lower their prices a bit so i could maybe afford the macbook pro 13 with basically the same money -or a little more- than what i would pay for the macbook 13 now which would be around 1000 bucks.

Should i wait or should i go ahead and purchase the macbok 13 (aluminum) already since i really need a computer?

Thanks a lot.

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
New York
simple to answer, nobody knows, that's always the case.

but in my opinion, i don't think a refresh is coming until either late october, or january. i really doubt october, and if it's a refresh, it's going to be a really slight one, like bumping up processor speed.

i think last year or the year before that, they did a really quiet refresh that just bumped up processor speed by a very slight margin, around october.

other than that, the macbook pro 13 inch, is a great laptop anyway. it's going to be a while before they do a major rehaul.

m. godoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Thanks for posting, so you think i should go ahead and buy the macbook (late 2008 model)?

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
New York
well, don't let me be the deciding factor. go to the nearest store and check it out for yourself and ask questions if you want to, genius's will help you out.

MUrhino

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Don't worry about small speed bump increases...

I did the math yesterday, and the MBP lineup ranges from $10.38 to $11.43 per .01 Ghz. iMacs are in line costing $10.38 per .01 Ghz speed increase. I just compared between models, changing only processor speed to come up with a price difference.

So, in my opinion, speed increases alone doesn't make it worth it to wait. If you look at the buyer's guide you can see the history of updates, although they haven't been as predictable as the Macbook Pro lineup.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Hello everyone, i am planning on buying a my first mac: (Apple MacBook MB466LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop) you see i REALLY need my computer now (my vaio died on me ) because of school matters

You might ask yourself why would i buy this particular model if there's already a newer one (macbook pro 13) well it all comes down to money.
The ugly truth is that I can only afford this one and i believe there are no substancial differences (slightly faster processor and backligh keyboard which are fantastical but....).

Here's where i need your advise guys, i heard there's a rumor saying that macbook prices may go down because of new products in the upcoming weeks, so i was wondering if you think macbook pros might lower their prices a bit so i could maybe afford the macbook pro 13 with basically the same money -or a little more- than what i would pay for the macbook 13 now which would be around 1000 bucks.

Should i wait or should i go ahead and purchase the macbok 13 (aluminum) already since i really need a computer?

Thanks a lot.

1. You come from a PC background, so you obviously don't need a Mac. You might need a computer, but you certainly don't need a Mac.

2. Design isn't everything. With your budget, you're better off with a new Dell - an XPS, for example. You'll get a much better value in terms of bang for the buck and much better support from Dell than you get from Apple.

3. Like others have already said, there's always an upgrade around the corner and the computer that you purchase today will always be an old dog tomorrow morning. That's why you have to base your decision on your current NEEDS - and not on your current "wants". In other words: Buy the computer that meets the system recommendations of the software that you really need to use. And always think twice before you upgrade your software.

4. About the MacBook: It's a nice (looking) machine, but keeping point 3) in mind, you have to ask yourself whether it is the best option for your software needs and if it offers the best solution for those needs. Usually, with an Apple computer, you pay a premium for the design and get less hardware power in return. Unless you really need OS X to run OS X-only software, this usually means that an Apple is not the best available alternative.

mknapper1

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
You could go with a refurbished aluminum MacBook I believe they are like $900 and there is also one with a backlit keyboard on there

m. godoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
You could go with a refurbished aluminum MacBook I believe they are like $900 and there is also one with a backlit keyboard on there

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer, i'm taking it all in.

Does anyone know if refurbished equipment's worth a try. Again, any tip would be greatly thanked.

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2009
UK
4. About the MacBook: It's a nice (looking) machine, but keeping point 3) in mind, you have to ask yourself whether it is the best option for your software needs and if it offers the best solution for those needs. Usually, with an Apple computer, you pay a premium for the design and get less hardware power in return. Unless you really need OS X to run OS X-only software, this usually means that an Apple is not the best available alternative.

I actually disagree with this point. I have been trying to configure a laptop with the spec of the Macbook and the 13" MBP for less than the MBP and I've really struggled (although comparing with the Higher Education prices).

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
2. Design isn't everything. With your budget, you're better off with a new Dell - an XPS, for example. You'll get a much better value in terms of bang for the buck and much better support from Dell than you get from Apple.

You do understand that Macs run OS X and Dells run windows, no?

Advising ANYONE to get a computer that runs MS Windows over a machine that runs OS X is ridiculous. People use software not hardware at the end of the day.

What is "bang for the buck" good for when I have to worry about malware every time I open an email, annoying system pop ups, incredibly retarded installation procedures, 50% of CPU time being eaten by running mandatory anti-virus software, and a just flat out awful UI?

Macs comes with OS X. Your best-bang-for-the-buck Dells don't.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Thanks for posting, so you think i should go ahead and buy the macbook (late 2008 model)?

I have one of those and it's a great little machine.

Does anyone know if refurbished equipment's worth a try.

Absolutely, you can get some great deals there.

I agree with those who say buy what you need when you need it. Playing the waiting game is a crap shoot, and once you start waiting it's easy to justify waiting longer and longer.

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
What is "bang for the buck" good for when I have to worry about malware every time I open an email, annoying system pop ups, incredibly retarded installation procedures, 50% of CPU time being eaten by running mandatory anti-virus software, and a just flat out awful UI?

Macs comes with OS X. Your best-bang-for-the-buck Dells don't.

don't take advice from such typical fanboy clowns like these.

if it comes down to money, get a pc. it will definitely be the better bang for your buck. if you actually need a mac for some reason (why are you getting a mac?) then sure why not. be aware that late 2008 model doesn't even have firewire. and all you have is a mini displayport out for external monitor purposes. it has no hdmi audio out. and the battery life on it is pretty poor.

krimsen

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
Advising ANYONE to get a computer that runs MS Windows over a machine that runs OS X is ridiculous.

While I like OS X better than Windows, this statement is BS. For people who have to run Windows software 90% of the time, a proper Windows laptop may be a much better choice.

You're confusing subjective POV with objective ones.

onehoop

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Denver
not just the OS

Our pro-Windoze poster has also forgotten that you'll get much better resale value out of your mac than out of any pc. Look how much people are willing to pay for a used mac on ebay and you'll be quite surprised. Perhaps it is just the premium for using OSX that the previous poster mentioned, but there's also the reputation for quality. You might consider selling your mac before it is too old (after a couple of years) and upgrading. This is something that would not be possible with a PC because it wouldn't be worth enough to consider it a trade-in after just a few years.

It's true, however, that not everyone who buys a mac uses it enough to warrant the purchase price. I figure that they know they have to use a computer and are willing to pay extra for it not to be a PITA. If you're not intimidated by changing settings and downloading your own drivers, as a college student it may well be worth the PITA for the savings... You can't make value judgments for other people without knowing their time/money situation. ::shrug::

M@

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
New York
i'm not going to set foot on the whole pc vs. mac debate, it's overplayed.

but i will say, i told myself if whenever i wanted to buy a mac, buy from the refurbished section, that's always the best section to buy from, because you can get huge discounts, for up to a couple hundred dollars, even half a grand sometimes.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Absolutely, you can get some great deals there.

I agree with those who say buy what you need when you need it. Playing the waiting game is a crap shoot, and once you start waiting it's easy to justify waiting longer and longer.

Agreed. Buy it now if you need it. Even if Apple releases an update the very next day, your computer will still do everything that you bought it for.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
And you can also find some good deals on CL if you've done your homework, know what refurbs are selling for, etc.

The OP didn't exactly say what his needs are, so I'm presuming it's pretty basic, consumer stuff. If so, any core2duo macbook would work. There's a little computer reseller where I live selling core2duo white macbooks for $400, and they even come with a one year store warranty.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
...wait for the updates to see if you want the newer or older models...

Use the computer lab at your school while you decide what is best due to your limited budget...

The price will decrease on the 2008 model your looking at when the newer models come out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.