I need both speed and an external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LSalander, Jul 23, 2013.

1. LSalander macrumors newbie

Aug 17, 2009
    so here is my problem:
    I have a late 2011 MBP with one Thunderbolt port and 2 USB2 ports.

I have to access specific data(archival material) fast and be able to handle those big files on a bigger screen.

So I thought I would go for a Lacie Thunderbolt drive and a 27" monitor.
    Problem is: there's only one Thunderbolt port....so it's either or...

Then I thought that I could plug a monitor into the Thunderbolt port with an adaptor, making sure that monitor had an USB3 port I could go for a USB3 hard drive and get both speed and bigger screen.

Question is: would this even work since my MBP doesn't support USB3 in the first place?

Other solution could be to get a Thunderbolt drive connect it to the MBP then connect the monitor to the Hard Drive with the USB3 port... not sure this would be possible actually.

I can't really replace my MBP and get one that supports USB3, nor can I get a Thunderbolt monitor :)
    Any help would be appreciated!

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Feb 6, 2009
    Get a Thunderbolt drive that has a second Thunderbolt port. Then you can plug a the drive into your Mac, and then plug a Mini-Displayport cable into the back of the hard drive.

Using a monitor with USB 3 support won't help, since it will be plugging into a USB 2 port on your mac.
  3. chabig macrumors 68040

Sep 6, 2002
    The LaCie ThunderBolt Hub ($199) is also a nice accessory because it can daisy chain to the display while supporting two eSATA drives.
  4. LSalander thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 17, 2009
    Thanks, I had thought of that lacie drive with dual Thunderbolt connection as out of my budget but there are some refurb now, will give this a go.
  5. newdeal macrumors 68020

Oct 21, 2009
    or you could get a thunderbolt display and just run an external drive from the passthrough on that
  6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

Mar 22, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    What size 2011 model do you have?
    If you have the 17in, you can add USB3 as well.
  7. LSalander thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 17, 2009
    13" as this was what I need (travel a lot) and could afford...