I need help !! Want to watch downloaded movies on tv how do i transfer to hard rive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SaucyFEMBOT, Jul 22, 2012.

1. SaucyFEMBOT, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

SaucyFEMBOT macrumors newbie

hello, this is my first time in a forum an owning a mac. I've downloaded some movies an t.v shows, an can only play them in my finder file. i can't play them when plugged into the tv or transfer them onto my hard drive to then play through ps3 . my hard drive is from my hew wit packet set up. do i need a mac external hard drive. hopefully someone can spare 2 mins to point me in the right direction. i'd be very grateful. thank you xoxox

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What kind of files are they, and where did you download them from?

3. glaseryaniv macrumors member

Some more information would help us help you:
    1. What type of files are they (what extension i.e '.mov', '.mkv', '.avi' ext.)?
    2. What type of hdd? did you use it on a Windows PC up to now?
    3. How did you connect your computer to the TV (when you did)?
    4. What type of mac?

Answer these, and there will probably be plentiful answers.

4. SaucyFEMBOT thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded them from a torrent, vuze . Im not sure what file type they are an yes the hdd was previously always used on a windows laptop. when using tv as display screen i plugged in a hdmi cord i could see the desktop pic but an numerous windows but the movie just wouldn't play. Im beginning to think the only movies that are transferable are that from i tunes. Is there another cord i should puchase maybe? I'm so computer illiterate but i would like to change that. sorry if my info is unclear.:)

----------

I have a mac book pro. thank you for helping i'll feel like a wally if i have to go back into the apple store.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Is the problem that you can't find the hard drive to copy to, or that it won't let you copy? The hard drive will appear on your desktop when you plug it in, but if it's been used for windows it may be a windows-only file system (NTFS), which means you can't write to the drive by default.