I need help with a project ...

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I am helping my daughter collect data for a project and thought you folks here at MacRumors would be a perfect sample group. It is a 4th grade math project dealing with probability.

What would most influence your decision to purchase a cell phone?
A) Price of the phone.
B) Cost per minutes.
C) Number of features.

Thanks much :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Fender2112 said:
I am helping my daughter collect data for a project and thought you folks here at MacRumors would be a perfect sample group. It is a 4th grade math project dealing with probability.

A) Price of the phone.
B) Cost per minutes.
C) Number of features.

For me, the answer would be (C).

If it has the features I need, then I go to (B) to see how much the carrier's plan will cost, then, finally (A) to see if I can afford it.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
In the past, I've generally done (C), but now I see how little I use the features, so it'd have to be (B). In fact, it's not so much cost per minute but total monthly cost that concerns me.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
A. That narrows it down to phones I can afford. Out of that group I determine which one has the features I need.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
When it comes to purchasing a cell phone, it's the price. Don't really need the fancy features. The most popular features comes with all the phones. The price per minute isn't a real factor, have gone with a monthly fee that allows a certain number of minutes each month.

I hope this will help your daughter.

My answer is A.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
While not strictly a cell phone, I have a BlackBerry (7230). So I'd pick C, since I buy my wireless "phone" based on features it has - not fancy ones like cameras and stuff, but features I need, in particular wireless emailing, which the BlackBerry accomplishes beautifully.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
well for me the cost where close enough to not be a big deal and the features where about the same.

It all came down to coverage in the areas I spend most of my time. That is the reason alone I drop Versizon over the summer and switch over the Sprint. Verizon coverage is crap in lubbock and if anything goes wrong with the phone there is no store up here that I can go to deal with it. Sprint works great here at school and back and home.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
C
A

B n/a here in belgium we have to buy the phone and pay in full (good side is we can buy any phone, bad side is we pay to much)

Kato C.

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2005
Great White North
Fender2112 said:
A) Price of the phone.
B) Cost per minutes.
C) Number of features.
In my productive time, I work as a management consultant, mostly in the area of telecom. You really don't need a pin-head like me to interject: however, a big decision criteria is monthly recurring cost, whether it is the monthly subscription fee (that usually includes a set amount of airtime minutes, features and a some sort of bundling of a phone) or a pay-as-you-go plan that often still has a minimum buy each month. So I would vote d) monthly subscription price, or from the list above, b)