I need more stories of people with dust specks under glass. Misery loves company.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yhellotharsir, Aug 26, 2010.

1. yhellotharsir macrumors member

I swear to God I'm considering returning my iPhone 4 (ordered from Apple.com, received it 3 days ago).

Why? There's 2 very tiny, tiny, TINY specks of dust underneath the glass, to the left of the home button.

It just frustrates me that it's like that out of the box. But then I'm like, "It's not even on the actual screen, it's near the home button so you'll learn to ignore it!"

but then I'm like

"You just paid $500 for a phone that should at least arrive free of defects!"

Now I'm so torn and I'm really considering what to do.

Convince me I'm suffering from paranoia/OCD, please? Who else got a new iPhone 4 with dust/debris under the glass, and learned to IGNORE IT and love their iPhone 4?

(P.S. Do I have 30 days to return the iPhone from the date it shipped, or the date it delivered to my door? Which one because that's a 3-4 day difference)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You do plan on using this phone, right? Not putting it in a vacuum sealed case in a museum for display? It is going to get fingerprints, dust from your pocket, dings from casual use.

I know you just bought it, but seriously, tiny, tiny, TINY?
    I didn't inspect mine that close
    I turned it on and said "great!" and started using it

3. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

4. g35 macrumors 6502a

I have 1 speck right next to the front camera from day 1. Well I noticed it on day 2 after the excitement wore down. Doesn't bother me too much though sometimes I get a tiny bit annoyed.

Just think of it this way: if you were to return yours for another, there's a good chance it will have the same or a different problem that may even end up being more annoying, and some people have far more problems with their iPhones.

5. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Dust really bothers me on phones. Thats why I was so happy they were going back to a sealed screen stack assembly on the iPhone 4 as I had 3 iphone 3Gs replaced because of excessive dust under the screen, and I'm talking about dozens of particles, not one or two. I guess I'm just a dusty guy. I even started pulling my pockets inside out when washing pants and it did not really help.

Kind of sucks that someohow it is still happening (even if it is greatly reduced) on the iPhone 4.

6. luvmshavd macrumors newbie

I have specs under mine now.. Ive returned multilple phones for this issue and plan on taking the phone i have no back to the genius bar..

7. S.Kay macrumors member

S.Kay

All your posts seem to be about replacing your iPhone (4 and 3GS!)...what a nuisance you must be to Apple. If I were Jobs, I would have you permanetly barred from buying an Apple product.

8. Subjugator macrumors regular

No problems with dust on my iP4. However my 3gs used to get so much dust under the screen I was taking it apart my self to clean it once a month. Started out as just s few tiny, tiny, tiny specks and after awhile half the screen was covered in a fine dust. I think it was just a bad seal on the left side as it was mostly on that side but I traded in for the iP4 so now its not my problem.

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I have a couple specs of dust underneath the glass of my phone on the outer edge. I also have a single stuck pixel near the bottom right corner of my screen. Just deal with it. All you'll end up doing is trading it in for a new phone with a DIFFERENT problem. Mostly likely, something even worse.

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

None of the 30 or so iPhones I've seen have dust specks.

Mine is purrrfect.

11. n20nine macrumors member

Mine has one underneath the glass. irritating. waited 3 weeks and seeing that killed the enjoyment. Also, volume up button is more recessed than volume down button. Death grip is very evident. My friends who got theirs at the same time do not have this issue. Camera obviously has green tinge issues. Strange thing is my friend's unit is not as prominent as mine.

Going back to get a replacement.

12. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

cool.

13. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

My iPhone has dust under it.
    So has all of my past iPhone's.
    It's pretty much always going to happen.
    I just don't care anymore.
    It's not that big of a deal.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The 3Gs were really bad. I had my dispay replaced once and then I got a refurb the next time because there was a HAIR under my screen which was so visible the genius took one look and said, "lets replace it."

The iPhone 4's on the other hand have the glass glued to the display so any dust that's under the screen came straight from the factory when the display and glass were sandwiched.

15. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I've had four 3Gs models and a few iPhone 4 models, thus far no dust.

16. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Go and exchange it. My 3GS had this problem and was exchanged no problem. My 4 came with a bad headphone jack and I had it replaced the day after I got it. Hope this helps!

17. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Exchange it if you're unhappy, but beware: you may end up going overboard and end up replacing your iPhone a dozen times.

Mine is fine (knock on wood).

18. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

My 3Gs has just started with the dust under the screen and I've had it since 6/09. It's horrible when out in the sunlight and it's all under the top left hand side of the screen. ARGH

So other than returning the phone (out of warranty so won't happen) I'd have to take it apart to get rid of the dust?

19. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

My iP4 has no dust under the screen.

If you get dust under your iP4 it came from the factory like that as the glass and screen are a fused unit.

So no dust should ever get under the iP4 screen. if it does than it is defective IMO.

The 3G/3GS is a different story.

I had my 3G for a year and never noticed any dust, my wife has had it for three months and the screen is covered in a layer of fine dust that is noticeable when the screen is off. She does keep it in her hand bag though so I'm not too surprised.