I need other photographers to help with my logo for my business.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by trjwv, Jul 13, 2011.

1. trjwv macrumors regular

If you have not heard of logomyway.com, then please visit. This site is awesome. For only 200.00 dollars you can have thousands of graphic design artist design a logo for your business. It is a contest for them, they compete against each other and the winner receives the money. I have started a design my log contest and would like fellow photogs to rank the entries to help me narrow them down to a winner. I know this thread might sound like it belongs in the graphic design thread, but I am looking for feedback from photographers and not designers. I can log on anytime and see which designs are receiving the most stars. I know ultimately it is my decision, but feedback will help me. More entries are being entered every hour so please revisit for more options, the contest ends in 3 days. I am looking for a clean, classic design with a punch. Please visit:
    http://www.logomyway.com/5287/friends/Ray_Justice_Photography.php

So far I highly recommend this site to help in creating a logo for your business. I have gotten some great choices. I didn't have the creativity or the time and $200.00 and many choices side by side will get me a professional logo.
    Thanks guys and if anyone else uses this site, please post a link here and I will cast my votes in return...

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Just putting it out there.

I realise that having a logo might be important to you but I personally believe that the images you show on your website will be the thing that really interests potential clients. You could have a super swanky logo and rubbish point and shoot pictures and get zero customers but no logo and great emotional pictures might give a different response.

However, I did have a look and all the logo's look pretty professional and any of them would be great. It depends on the colour scheme of your website too as I really liked some of the logo's with the black background but if your website is white then this probably wouldn't fit!

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

So I googled op's page and have to say I strongly urge you to take the above quote into consideration. I know it's the potential client you should try to impress rather than other photographers, but doing everything in overblown HDR does not good imagery make.

4. trjwv thread starter macrumors regular

It is more for a watermark than a logo, but also will be used as a logo, as for my website, i need to add more current images. My facebook page has a few more recent images, but thanks for checking my website out and thanks for looking at the link.

5. Chappers, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Is this going to be a business for you? I hope the logo you chose won't overwhelm your photos like the current one does, and I have seen so many people with watermarks swamping their shots that basically they are ruined.

I also looked at you webpage and facebook page,

I would really recommend that you sort out the snaps from the quality, scrap all the overblown HDR's and decide what your purpose is, as right now all I see is you paying $200 for a logo/watermark for some snaps.

6. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I like this one. It makes for a simple watermark, and it won't grab the attention from your photos.

Do they give you the logo in an Illustrator file? For you to modify it later on.

For watermarks I would remove the text, and just use the RJ logo.

Attached Files:

7. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I think I might try this with photographers too. Ask a bunch of them to take photos of my son and if I like a particular photographer I will award them a prize! Why pay all of the photographers for their work when I might like someone else's even better. Sure they spent time on those photos but hey they can fight it out and keep taking more shots to see if they get any closer to winning that prize.

Sorry. I read this title as you had a design and needed help tweaking it. Not a SCAM "contest".

8. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I also potential to abuse of the voting system to win $200 - just get friends to vote for your design and it can be voted the winner.

9. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

To be fair though, the people who are in this signed up for this contest. It's not a bunch of professional designers who were forced into a contest. Also, it's a pretty well known method. Google has used this, the electric vehicle race in Washington D.C. was also like this. It forces people to do their best work, because mediocre work won't get rewarded.

I would never join a contest like this, but the people who do know what they're getting into, so it isn't really a scam

10. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

but with only about 15 people voting for the top design, it has the potential for vote rigging. Although I appreciate the OP doesn't have to chose the winners design. Good way to make $200 dollars though

11. Koffie macrumors newbie

This site might look appealling, and some of the outcomes might be very nice, but this is killing the graphic design market!
    As another graphic artist, I do not believe you should support this spec work.

I invite you to read this.
    http://justcreativedesign.com/2008/05/22/why-logo-design-does-not-cost-5-dollars/
    ok, regarding the title: $200 is not $5, but read the article and especially the spec work part, and see that this is not good for designers.
    Therefore, you will most likely not find the best designers on there.

12. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I have to disagree with your point Koffie. I'm not a graphic designer, nor in the field of the arts, but your argument just comes across as whiny, entitled, and unprofessional as it sounds when photographers make the same claim about the "cheapening" of their field. If anything, getting into photography as a hobby has only taught me how much work and thought does go in to professional "art" projects like a logo or photograph.

But, if you have high end professional experience and training, then you charge what you think your work is worth- and it is on you to show in your work the result that justifies the higher price. You are not entitled to charge high prices just because of your past training or experience. You don't see Mercedes or Ferrari complaining about all those cheap Chevys and Fords "cheapening" the art of the automobile.

Anyway, from reading the linked article and its comments, I learned that Nike's famous logo cost them $35, from a student graphic designer who charged $2/hr. It was later stated in the comments that $35 in today's dollars was about $200.

http://www.dinesh.com/History_of_Lo...n_and_History/Nike_Logo_-_Design_and_History/

Ruahrc

13. h00ligan macrumors 68030

So does the voting decide the winner or does the originator choose? It would absolutely suck for a cheat vote to push one up when there was clearly one that was better to the requirements..

I can't hate on it, people know what they are getting into, I would however need an illustrator file and all rights to the file.

14. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I think whoever starts the contest, and therefore pays the money, has the final say but voting will give your design more exposure and create a sense that it is the most successful.

If you could rig it easily with votes you would just draw up RJ phots. in Microsoft Paint and vote, refresh, vote, refresh (I say paint because I doubt anyone on a Mac would even consider something like that!)

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I think sites like this are fine ... really talented Designers will survive fine on their work and talent ... I doubt you will find anything other than students and young designers trying to make a buck or two.

all young designers need to start somewhere and contests like these give business owners and upstarts a chance to find something reasonably priced that suits a limited budget.

I have worked in Graphic Arts and Printing for over 25 years and have seen plenty of over priced design that is not worth near what the Design Firm charges.

I say there is room for everyone ... really talented Designers will survive just fine on their talent alone and contests like these are just giving other people a start.