i need to buy a MBP but not sure if i should wait for the update when is it damn

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SMkdesigns, Jan 25, 2008.

  1. SMkdesigns macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    #1
    I had the new imac with the black lining! i experienced a freezing problem and a bad logic board. so i took it back and i am going to get a mbp, however i came to find out they are ready for a needed upgrade and redesign as must of you already know obviously!

    My buddy works for apple and he is waiting for the macbook to be upgraded and cant give me a time frame to when they might come out!

    Now i need a computer now, but i know i will get really pissed if i buy the mbp and a month later the new mbp comes out! and i would do whatever it took to get it!!

    I was wondering if anyone could explain to me on what i should do!

    My question is... Will the new mbps come out in the next month or will it be a while before they come out! due to the penryn intel chip or whatever that might delay!

    Please help me thank you
     
  2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #2
    Personally, I don't think they're coming until summer. But whether they come in five months or in five days, five years from now it won't matter whether you went with one 2ghz laptop over another. Heck, it won't even matter a year from now; both will be old, and both will still do exactly what they were built to do. It's up to you how long you want to wait.
     
  3. HLdan macrumors 603

    HLdan

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    #3
    It's really important to search the forums before posting this topic is all over the boards.
    You said it yourself, you need a notebook now so just buy it and be done with it. The new Macbooks could be released this coming Tuesday or Tuesday after that or one Tuesday in March. You could be waiting a long time.
    You have to ask yourself, what do you need? What's there to be pissed about if a newer model comes out? Unless it's something radical like the MBA most upgrades won't be that significant.

    You could wait but you could be waiting for a long time while biting your nails. This is ridiculous spending time trying to beat Apple at it's game of release dates. If you REALLY need it BUY it.
     
  4. SMkdesigns thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    #4
    i applicate the help guys i think me best bet is to wait a couple of weeks and if i dont hear anything new, then biting the bullet and buying the mbp
     
  5. matperk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 6, 2004
    Location:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    #5
    I don't really need to update, I just feel like it's about that time, so whenever the new ones come out I'll be getting one. I'm not really in all that much of a rush though. Sometimes, however, I feel like jumping in my car and heading to the apple store and getting a stock one! Wait and you won't be disappointed.
     
  6. HLdan macrumors 603

    HLdan

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    #6
    LOL, are you serious? Are you really serious?? This forum gets upset at every new upgrade after waiting several months only to find out that the update was a minor speed bump, no graphics cards update, no aesthetics changes, no hard drive size upgrade and same warped lid when closed.

    Then they are posting countless threads saying, "Apple tricked me into waiting for this upgrade and it sucks". That's why waiting may not work out for you. The latest upgrade on the Mac Pro was a nice upgrade but the price went up as well.
     
  7. matperk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 6, 2004
    Location:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    #7
    Hey man...I'm just saying that it doesn't hurt to wait for your own sake. i know i will be much happier with even just a slight speed bump that i waited a few weeks (like the OP said) and see what happens.
     
  8. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2006
    #8
    I went ahead and bought. I always try to be patient in waiting for updates to whatever it is I'm buying (cars, computers, etc.) and even though I'm sure the next major upgrade to MBP will be very nice, no one knows when it will happen. The current MBP is great and I don't see very many people posting problems about it so I went and ahead and bought one last night because I need one now for school. I'll still be content even if Apple releases a major upgrade in the next month because I need the computer now.
     
  9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #9
    If you need it now get it now.

    If Apple updates it one month from now, it doesn't make your useless. It will still do everything that you bought it for. No offense, I've never understood attitudes like yours. In the world of computers things change so fast, unless you got boatloads of money, you will never be able to always have the top-of-the-line-nobody-has-a-better-one.
     
  10. bigp9998 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2007
    #10
    Of course, I have never understood attitudes that, despite every rumor stating that updates will be coming in the next two weeks, somebody should just ignore that and buy it whenever. Its not that the current one won't meet our needs--it's that there is no reason to pay $2000 now for a MBP when you could pay the same amount for a better one in a few weeks. It just makes financial sense to wait. If you've been listening, everything indicates that because of the Penryn delay and the hype to prepare the MBA for MacWorld, Apple was forced to delay the update for somewhere between a few weeks and a few months. I would expect a mid-February update.
     
  11. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2003
    #11
    Precisely.

    All signs point to the Penryn MBPs starting at 2.5GHz. There is a very real possibility that the base updated MBP will be superior to the current $2500 mid-range model. This is THE worst time to pick one up.

    I wouldn't buy a current unit unless I could get a several hundred dollar discount.
     
  12. theLimit macrumors 6502a

    theLimit

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2007
    Location:
    up tha holler, acrost tha crick
    #12
    The only thing I'm expecting is a bump to the Penryn procs. It's just a drop-in replacement of the current Meroms, so no case redesign yet.

    I'm waiting for three reasons:
    A) I won't have the money to buy until a week from now
    B) I have a while left to use my ADC discount
    C) My PowerBook still handles most of the tasks I need to do

    I really want to simplify my life and go with a single computer setup, so in about a week I will sell off my PowerBook G4 and my Intel Mac mini to help fund my upgrade. If Apple refreshes the MacBook Pro lineup by then, great! If not, I can get the current MBP and still be happy that I have one computer that is nearly twice as competent as what I am currently using two for.
     

Share This Page