I need to do incremental backups of hard drives. Anything but Carbon Copy Cloner?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oxband, Nov 30, 2016.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I need to do incremental backups of hard drives. The best program I've used is Carbon Copy Cloner but since upgrading to a new OS it no longer works. I'm thinking about buying the new one....but I'm wondering if there is any free backup program people might recommend instead.

2. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh. Cool. I didnt realize it did incremental backups.

3. Cordorb macrumors member

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Which new OS? CCC 4.1.10 (latest non-beta CCC) supports OS 10.8 - 10.12.

5. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

Besides Time Machine (which may be fine, but I don't trust it in an emergency.) I broke down and bought CCC . Totally worth it, especially if you want to have multiple clones of this drive or that. I use a rotation schedule and use bare 2.5 spinners in a spare bay of a Blackmagic Design Multidock II.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I believe in using multiple backup methods and testing them regularly. I currently use Time Machine to multiple destinations, CCC, and CrashPlan for off-site.

7. albebaubles macrumors regular

albebaubles

8. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

A has been stated, Time Machine. CCC is my fav backup app though.

9. Big Bad D macrumors regular

CCC works fine (well at least for me) with all recent Mac OS, you may need to get update. Fully agree that Time Machine is good recommendation for op's question.

Similar to other posts my backup strategy is Time Machine for local "live" backups, CCC for scheduled (weekly or daily) backups and CrashPlan for off site running in background. And also support good point made that whatever backup method is used, it should be tested regularly!