I need to get an iPhone 5 for use in India help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lulla01, Nov 28, 2012.

1. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I am looking to buy an iPhone 5 to be used in India. So I assume it needs to be unlocked I don't know if it is yet possible to buy unlocked iPhones so does anyone know which carrier iPhone to buy unsubsidized and will it work in India? Post or pm please.

2. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Alright, Calm down for a second. You don't need to get an iPhone 5, you want to get an iPhone 5.

3. kamalds macrumors regular

I am using one in India (I am from India), which I got yesterday for ~$900. It is unlocked.

I have heard that Verizon one is unlocked. US folks can confirm that I guess.

My suggestion: Just a cheap phone in India if you are coming for holiday or something as most carriers do not have nano SIM cards for prepaid customers (I had to cut mine with a cutter). :rolleyes:

4. KirkL macrumors 6502

Is the Verizon iPhone a "World Phone"? I thought it was CDMA only. I think most Indian carriers are on GSM.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can buy a full priced Verizon or AT&T model iphone 5.
    They will work with any GSM carrier.

6. dr2391 macrumors newbie

I know there are sites that factory unlock ATT iPhones for $20. But that depends if there are any GSM providers in India (I have no idea) verizon and sprint cost over $100 to unlock on the same site, no idea why they are so much more though.