I need to install mac osx on my new harddrive but no disc

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by beeapps, Dec 29, 2010.

1. beeapps macrumors newbie

So I have a macbook my old hard drive I guess malfunctioned because when I start up there is a folder with a question mark. So I installed a new hard drive however I do not have the original discs the only discs I have are to my 21in Imac is there anyway to install this without buying new discs or is there anyway to recover my old hard drive I think I deleted a folder I suppose to when I tried to restore so now I have 2 hard drive no OS and a macbook I can't use:confused::mad:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The install discs that come with a Mac are model-specific, so you can't use them to install on other models. You can either call Apple for replacement install discs or buy a retail copy of Mac OS X.

Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Apple will send you replacement OS disks for your computer at a nominal charge

4. beeapps thread starter macrumors newbie

how much of a charge and they have to be original I have tried to use discs I have burned myself and they did not work

5. eman macrumors 6502a

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Call Apple for pricing. They will be original replacement discs and, unlike the discs you burned, they will work.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

From memory its about $10, but its best just to call them and ask.