I need to know. Does Philadelphia and the suburban areas (DelCo) have 4G LTE yet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ObsidianBlade, Sep 15, 2012.

1. ObsidianBlade macrumors regular

I posted this in the iPhone section but I know that there are people in here with the iPad 3 on AT&T (or at least I hope there are) that can maybe help me out with this predicament. Here's the original post:

" I looked at AT&T's coverage map. The whole area is saturated in their HSPA+ 4G which is like idk, 6Mbps.

I then looked at their "list of 4G LTE cities" and Philadelphia was on the list. Could someone with an LTE capable device with AT&T in the area put this to rest please?

This will be a major deciding factor in my carrier for the iPhone 5 because I only get 1-2 bars of LTE here whereas I used to get like 5 bars when I had AT&T (3G)"

EDIT: Philadelphia itself definitely has 4G LTE now according to this article, but it makes no mention of the surrounding areas having it. Could someone from the area let me know what kind of speeds they get around here? And if you happen to be from Delaware County, the town you were in and the number of bars?

I greatly appreciate it as this is huge in choosing which carrier I go with for the iPhone 5.

2. myMacRumors macrumors regular

AT&T LTE - Philly metro area

AT&T LTE - Philly metro area

New Jersey Turnpike Exit #4
    Download 44.00 Mbps
    Upload 16.92 Mbps
    Ping 51 ms

3. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

That is a ridiculously high speed. But exit 4 is a good distance from where I am so I don't know if it would be the same or not. It's like 30 miles away.

4. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

the coverage map on AT&T's website wasn't updated until a couple of weeks ago: http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=data

looking at the map, the coverage radius limits are as follows (in relation to Center City Philadelphia):

North: Doylestown, PA
    East: Medford, NJ
    South: Sewell, NJ and coverage follows I-95 down to Kirkwood, Delaware
    West: Downingtown, PA and Brandamore, PA

This is the reason why I didn't go AT&T. Verizon's LTE coverage map is vastly superior. Here are my Verizon LTE speeds (See picture):

Attached Files:

5. sdyoyo macrumors member

I'm jealous! I never get past 25 down 5-10 up and that's only early in the mornings on Verizon,

Exit 4 in the house!

6. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

My house is just a hair past the eastern boundary of Philly's AT&T LTE coverage. I'm in Medford. The coverage map on AT&T's site is pretty accurate. Driving from Philly, LTE may cut out a half mile or so before they show it would. Overall it's very fast. I've hit 50-60 Mb/s several times in the Cherry Hill, NJ area

I doubt it's likely because Medford is a small town & wouldn't offer much of a marketing benefit, but what's the likely hood AT&T will grow the Philly LTE footprint enough to pick up my town? Is it just a matter of upping the transmitting power, or would I be more likely to have LTE at home when they flip the switch on the shore towns? I'm sure if Philly and Atlantic City had LTE, I'd be covered somehow.