I need to know Verizon is ok! LOL

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sup3rknova, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Sup3rknova macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Giving Sprint the goodbye after Sept 10th. :D Too many years of broken promises and SA-LOW data. It will be my first time on capped data. I averaged about 1.5 2GB monthly on Sprints unlimited but im reallllllllly afraid of going over when I join Verizon since it will be faster. I wont stream any music or movies though. Just web browsing and emails/text etc. Im choosing either At&T or Verizon. At&T required a tiny deposit, Verizon didnt. T-Mobile was outrageous. lol Weird. Any opinions or experiences? I live in Southern California. :apple:

2. taedouni macrumors 65816

It all depends on where you live. Verizon is amazing at certain places and in other places its LTE is no faster than AT&T's HSPA+.

3. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

My family and I have been on Verizon for years. Earlier this year, we gave up unlimited when my daughter and I upgraded to the iPhone 5. Now we have 3 out of 4 phones using LTE and our data usage has not changed (I've checked).

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

I'm with Verizon for two reasons, and neither have to do with their service.

#1 - Their Share Everything plans allow phones from different area codes to be on one plan.

#2 - They will unlock iPhones so you can use pre-paid local SIMs when traveling internationally, even when still under contract.

Other than that, I am not impressed with them.

They were the first national carrier to offer LTE where I live (Virginia's largest metro area), bringing it here two years ago this month. Their LTE coverage then was nowhere near as strong as their voice/3G coverage, and over the last two years, the areas that got crap LTE signal still get crap LTE signal. Also, over the last two years data speeds have dropped from 10-15mpbs down to 3-5mpbs down. It's not unusual for my smartass roommate with an AT&T iPhone 4s to remind me that his "Faux G" HSPDA+ phone keeps up with mine in terms of data speed. i.e. he can refresh Facebook faster, load webpages faster, do IMDB lookups faster, ... it's irritating.

AT&T and Sprint both rolled out LTE here earlier this year, 1.5 years after Verizon. But both of their LTE networks seem to outperform Verizon's here in terms of coverage and speed, at least from what I've seen from my friends colleagues that have their service. :mad:

Hopefully Verizon's a different story in your neck of the woods!

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

Here's a visual (from where I live) of how different the signal strength from Verizon's LTE network can be from their "legendary" voice/3G network.

Both screen shots were taken from the same location.

Attached Files:

6. Sup3rknova, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

What about pricing though? Whats better vaule? I think when I checked Verizon a couple weeks ago it was about 160 for two lines. My wife and I would share 4GB of data with unlimited text. Our voice minutes dont matter since we hardly use any and I have always been on the lowest voice plan. I forget what At&T was but I think it was slightly more a month but the data was different. I just didnt go with either one a couple weeks back because of the Sept 10th event. I just really want to get the best vaule.

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

Looking on their websites now, it looks like the AT&T/Verizon "share plan" prices are the same for two smartphones + 4GB of data.

$70 for 4GB of data, and $40 per smartphone (with unlimited texts/minutes).

8. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

ahhhh crap. Of course they would be!! haha

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

I would go with AT&T over Verizon. AT&T has a much faster "4G" HSPA+ than Verizon's slower 3G network. Their LTE is also the fastest of all the carriers and they have the largest selection of phones. Voice+data at the same time too.

10. aka777 macrumors 6502a

This is going to happen as they are building out their network. Improving poor LTE coverage spots is not the priority as of yet and is in the next phase of construction. AT&T on the other hand took over 9 months to expand and install a new LTE base station next to an area they had existing LTE coverage. AT&T doesn't do squat unless they are forced to by other entities.

A large portion of Verizon's LTE network is up and running. In addition, they will soon be firing up their 1.7GHZ LTE and breaking down the LTE cells as they overlap and improve even further. All while AT&T, Sprint, and Tmobile will still be building out their network. Heck, it's 2013 and AT&T is still building out their 3G network, as they have 2G in various locations.

11. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Verizon has way more LTE coverage than any other carrier. Right now, Verizon is the only carrier with LTE in my city. I consistently get 20mb down and 10+mb Up. I also know Verizon has the best coverage in my area, but coverage differs from area to area. The GSM carriers have never had the best coverage in my area, so I've always just stuck with Verizon.

12. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

A lot to think about I suppose. Kind of why I never liked the "largest 4G carrier blah blah blah nationwide" commercials. It doesn't pertain to me. What would I care about Ohio having 4G. NO OFFENSE TO PEOPLE IN OHIO!!! But I've never been there, no would I ever have any plans of going there. I guess i should look at that though. Whos bigger, reliable. Etc. I'm just talking monthly price and SPEED! I did just check with my employer and I could get a employee discount monthly to bring a ATT bill to $140. 2 lines and 4GB data shared. Unlimited talk and text. Worth it compared to Verizon? Again this is someone coming from Sprint. Just nervous about getting capped.

13. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It's certainly going to vary by area but I consider Verizon to be the best carrier. They are certainly priced accordingly.

14. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Considering you are with Sprint, AT&T and Verizon would be a HUGE upgrade! I have been a happy AT&T user for many years. If I had to leave, I would be a Verizon customer. I know few who like Sprint!

15. aristobrat macrumors G5

Why on earth did they roll out new LTE networks with sub-par coverage in the first place? We're talking about the mighty Verizon, no?

On the 21st of this month, it will have been literally two years since Verizon launched LTE in my market. Two years with the same poor coverage areas and data speeds that are declining faster and faster (which indicates to me that they've already over-saturated their LTE network here).

How much longer until they come back and fix their mess here? Again, this market is the largest in Virginia.

Sup3rknova, Verizon may have done a much better job with LTE in your market. You might try rootmetrics.com to see what others in your area have reported in terms of signal strength and speed.

16. aristobrat macrumors G5

The Verizon iPhone 5 doesn't support that frequency, does it?

17. cynics macrumors G4

As a Verizon customer I think the only benefit is the iPhone is unlock and that's only because they have to do that.

Their 3G is pretty bad, and while they may have a large LTE network in a lot of places it's only as fast if not slower then ATT's 4G network.

Plus the iPhone can't do voice and data on Verizon, don't know if that's a big deal to you.

Only the past year I've slowly been dumping Verizon services due to high charges, mediocre service and/or poor customer service.

I bought a tablet on Verizon subsidized and got an email saying I was eligible for an upgrade. I call them and they don't subsidize tablets anymore. Even AT&T gives a small discount with a contract. I cancelled the service.

I know this isn't Verizon Wireless related but I called Verizon last night because I wanted to just get Fios Internet and get rid of TV. I was on hold for:

[​IMG]
    45 minutes

When they got to me their best price was 65 dollars for 15 down / 5 up Internet. I cancelled the service. Xfinity was 25.99 for 20 down / 10 up.

I used to be a big advocate of Verizon but now it just feels like mediocre service at premium prices. Not saying anyone else is light years better, just less terrible.

18. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

I think I will try ATT. Its a $100 deposit but I will get a cheaper monthly plan through them with my work discount.

19. mrschanah macrumors newbie

I have Verizon and their LTE is awesome. Customer service could be better though...but you can get a discount on your phone bill and accessories. Also, my iphone can do voice and data at the same time.

20. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Yah when your on wifi. Try doing that while on Verizon's LTE network with an iPhone 5.

21. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

As others have said it depends on where you live.

I personally think Verizon is a trash company. Not only was my bill inconsistent each month but they turned me into a collection agency over an ALREADY PAID ON TIME $1.35 bill. They also wouldn't accept any proof from my bank that it was paid. (I forget why it was so small but it had to do with the timeframe in which I cancelled my contract).

It took awhile but eventually I got an "Oops our bad" response and had the negative entry on my credit score removed (although there was a dip in it).

Garbage company.

I went back to ATT and never looked back. My bill is the exact same month to month, I can make changes much easier, and I don't have to click through 3943483098 menus to pay my bill online (and no, don't trust Verizon with auto-bill pay either!).

Also there's the whole being able to do voice and data at the same time on ATT which is nice.

22. cynics macrumors G4

Verizon iPhones can't do voice and data, all CDMA iPhones (unless you are on wifi which is a different radio)...

[​IMG]

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1976

23. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

I suggest you go with a prepaid carrier like aio wireless or NET10. It sounds like you could save a lot of money if you did.

24. cnotes2019 Suspended

If you want I can sell you two Verizon unlimited data plans for $200 apiece. Let me know. Paypal only.

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would go with AT&T over Verizon. I'd rather have HSPA/+ (which I can get up to 10 Mb/s at time) than CDMA in the case that LTE is unavailable.