I need to revert to an older version of an app. Can I do this from a backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chinchillin, Feb 9, 2011.

1. chinchillin macrumors newbie

I have backups PRIOR to the update, however I would like to NOT have to restore my phone from an approximate 9-month old backup (for the sake of one app) if I can avoid it; I'd prefer to avoid the hassle of updating everything else on my phone if at all possible.

I don't have the .ipa of the old version in my trash bin. The version I need is in my iPhone backup.

I'm not jailbroken, this is a legitimately bought app, etc etc.. some key features in this update (that I wouldn't have expected to be changed) necessitate this for me. I'm not looking to get anything for free that I've not already paid for.

Basically it was updated blindly (I know, lessons learned, et al.)..

Anybody got any advice? :confused:

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't think apps are stored in backups. Only which apps were on the phone when the backup was taken and the saved data from those apps.

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

This will let you open an iPhone backup.
    iPhone Backup Extractor

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I'm pretty sure that you are correct! That is why if you rearrange your apps in iTunes, you have to hit apply before you leave that page.

5. chinchillin thread starter macrumors newbie

Grapes911: So if I'm understanding correctly, the info from that time would be intact, but the version of the app itself would still stand as whatever's most current?

JamesMB: Thanks for the info on the extractor; I do believe that'll come in handy in it's own right :)

All: Much obliged for the quick responses. I'm essentially S.O.L., it seems? *sigh*

I'll use the analogy of a 'snapshot' of my app info.. it's a pic of what it had (info-wise) at the time, but doesn't contain the actual .ipa info..? If this is indeed the case, many thanks for helping me sidestep the lengthy/aggravation-inducing process of going thru a restore for no reason.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That's my understanding as well. Sorry.