I need to run disc utility but I can't find my apple install dvd.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Penn42, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Penn42 macrumors newbie

Hello all, I ran disc utility and tried to verify my hard disc the other day and it told me it needs to repair itself. The reason I ran DU in the first place was because I noticed the amount of space left on the computers is different depending on if its the computers info or a download windows info (say from nugs.net). Anyway, disc utility said I need to boot up using my apple install dvd, which I can't find, then repair the disc. I am wondering a couple things. 1: my computer has been running just a little slow as of late, could this be the cause? 2: should I not use my computer until I get this fixed? 3: Is the anywhere to get another apple install dvd?

Thanks,

Penn

2. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

That will be sort of tricky if you don't have the original DVD.

Though, if you have an external HDD, you can restore your system onto there through Disk Utility, boot from the external HDD, and run disk utility on your internal HDD to repair it.

3. Penn42 thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked up how to restore to an external HDD but the instructions I found say I also need the apple install dvd.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1553

are these not what you meant?

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Most likely, yes.

Keep computer use to minimum. Also, keep that thing stationary.
    As for the DVD, if you have bought Lion, then you have the easy way out.
    Create a Lion boot DVD. If you're currently running Lion, go to your Purchases tab and hold the Options key. You should be able to re-download the Lion installer. Do that, and when that's done, open the package contents. Find InstallESD.dmg and copy that to your desktop. Burn that to a DVD and you will have a bootable install DVD again, complete with Disk Utility!

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

Very helpful, thank you :)