I need urgent help.. how do phone companies check if I used the Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by IDontbreak, Nov 9, 2012.

1. IDontbreak macrumors newbie

Basically my mom bought an Iphone 4s which I dont even need. Yet she convinced me to open it and I started the phone.
    The company which I bought it from said we could return it if I didnt start the phone. So I was thinking. If I leave it with 50% battery which it had from the beginning AND deleted all my settings, files etc. Then turned of the phone.
    Will they still be able to see If I started it?

I called them and said "They would check the manuals" Lol what?. It might be legit though because they said they would examine/investigate it for 1 week.

So how do you really make you Iphone brand new so NOBODY can see that you have used it?

Thank you.

Ps. I bought it from Sweden and NOT from apple

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

As long as it hasn't been activated with a carrier, the following will do the trick:

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

If it's been activated with a carrier, then I'm guessing they can check using the phone's IMEI.

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

If you do a factory restore through iTunes, the phone will look like it was never touched. However, if it's been activated, there is probably a way they can tell.

I've never heard of a company that will investigate the phone for a week to see if it was used though. That's a bit out there.

4. IDontbreak thread starter macrumors newbie

They said it was okay if I started my new shipped sim card on a different phone so that doesnt matter? Or do you mean that im ****ed if I started my Iphone with the new Sim card? :(

Thanks

----------

The 1 week thing is probably because they are lazy or that they got 1000 other customers. But what do you mean by "However, if it's been activated, there is probably a way they can tell."

Do you know how? And activated how? I thought you said it would look brand new after the Itunes restore..