I need urgent help.. how do phone companies check if I used the Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by IDontbreak, Nov 9, 2012.

1. IDontbreak macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2012
    Basically my mom bought an Iphone 4s which I dont even need. Yet she convinced me to open it and I started the phone.
    The company which I bought it from said we could return it if I didnt start the phone. So I was thinking. If I leave it with 50% battery which it had from the beginning AND deleted all my settings, files etc. Then turned of the phone.
    Will they still be able to see If I started it?

I called them and said "They would check the manuals" Lol what?. It might be legit though because they said they would examine/investigate it for 1 week.

So how do you really make you Iphone brand new so NOBODY can see that you have used it?

Thank you.

Ps. I bought it from Sweden and NOT from apple
  2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2010
    Paris, France
    As long as it hasn't been activated with a carrier, the following will do the trick:

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

If it's been activated with a carrier, then I'm guessing they can check using the phone's IMEI.
  3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

Jul 19, 2010
    If you do a factory restore through iTunes, the phone will look like it was never touched. However, if it's been activated, there is probably a way they can tell.

I've never heard of a company that will investigate the phone for a week to see if it was used though. That's a bit out there.
  4. IDontbreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2012
    They said it was okay if I started my new shipped sim card on a different phone so that doesnt matter? Or do you mean that im ****ed if I started my Iphone with the new Sim card? :(

The 1 week thing is probably because they are lazy or that they got 1000 other customers. But what do you mean by "However, if it's been activated, there is probably a way they can tell."

Do you know how? And activated how? I thought you said it would look brand new after the Itunes restore..