I need/want some "real" ringtones and not some sound effects.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Imola Ghost, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I've got a few ringtones that I made however I'm growing very tired of the ones I've made. Can someone point me to ringtones of cell phones and not sound effects? I don't like music ringtones as they tend to blend in with the surroundings and I don't hear them ringing.

I'm looking for cell phone rings, or anything that resembles a phone ringing.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I just use the "old phone" included with the iPhone as my default

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

Me too...unfortunately most of my co-workers do too. :eek:

4. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, unfortunately most of the people do around me also. So that's why I'm trying to keep them distinguishable.

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I've added a few to mine to keep things organized.

I've got a ringtone for my wife and children.
    Then I've got one for work/coworkers.
    Then one for my mother in law (think StarWars Imperial Theme)
    And one for all others.

I know if you use google, you'll find a ton of them if you're not willing to make your own.

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Try googling for Cisco Unity or Cisco IP ringtones. There are literally dozens of them out there that are "true" ringtones and not music or sound effects.

You'll have to do some conversion most likely as the iPhone's speaker may garble them a bit, but GarageBand is great for this.

PS: I tend to like the "24 CTU" ringtone from the show 24. It sounds like a real VOIP ringtone, professional but distinct from the norm.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I hear there's a site where you can put in words and it gives you search results that match up with those words. What was it....ask.com? Something like that.

8. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I recently switched over to the pinball effect. It's a neat variation on a ring, I find.

9. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Try one of our AutoRingtone apps (many are free). You can combine ~200 FX like old phone, modem, etc., plus TEXT-TO-SPEECH in dozens of voices to announce the caller ID!

10. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Check out audiko.net on your PC. You'll find craploads of free ring tones. Most are music related, but use the search function and you'll find a pretty good amount of regular tones too. The site is set up a little weird, but you can select to download the file in the iPhone ringtone format, and you're gtg.

I searched for the Matrix phone ringtone just the other day. Very easy.

11. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Thanks for the advice. Also, the CTU chirp is great!

12. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

13. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks!

I downloaded them and deleted a bunch that I didn't like however ALL of them are showing up in iTunes and I tried syncing ALL of them but they aren't showing up on my phone.

1) how do I get rid of the ones in iTunes that I didn't want from showing up?

14. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

The .m4r is the one you drag and drop it in itune to sync with your iphone, you can right click whichever ringtone you don't want and remove it from itune so it won't sync with your phone.

15. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I cannot get rid of any of the ringtones from iTunes, even with right clicking which does nothing within the iTunes ringtone tab.