I need your help getting a replacement iPhone due to scuffs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anajaf27, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Anajaf27 macrumors regular

Ok so I went to the apple store yesterday to try and replace my black Iphone 5 again, because of the scuffs that keep Adding up even tho my phones always been in the case..

So the apple genius told me since that they replaced it the first time that they can't replace it again

Today I called Apple support and they offered to send me another one for 30$..I asked if I could get the white and she said I can only get the black one since my phone is black. I then decided to keep the ip5 I had instead of risking getting another one in worst shape.

Is there anyway I can get the white Iphone 5??

I'm tired of all theses scuffs appearing from nowhere

Thanks

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

What about selling the black/slate and using the funds raised to buy the white ?

3. Anajaf27 thread starter macrumors regular

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It's "against" Apple's policies to trade models/colors when doing exchanges for warranty issues. That being said, I have seen several users posting on these forums that they caught the right person in the right mood on the right day, and it was done for them.

Perhaps keep trying and praying to the deity of your choice that you find someone willing to help you out. Otherwise, don't get your hopes up.

5. brdwygurl macrumors regular

So there are no scuffs out of the box? If your phone is getting scuffed from use, I don't think apple is going to continue to replace them.

6. SouthsideJohnny macrumors regular

One day in the future, well-burnished antique iPhones, showing proof of their importance in the daily lives of their owner, will command a hefty price from collectors.

7. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Ditto this comment.

Unfortunately, you may not find the perfection, which you will ultimately be satisfied with. Regardless of what color iP5 Apple may or may not give you in exchange, you will most likely be unhappy with any future scuffs.

8. AlterZgo macrumors member

Maybe you should try changing to a different case if your iPhone is always in a case, yet keeps getting scratched up. Perhaps the case itself is scratching the phone.

I used my black slate iphone5 in a silicone case, then more recently with a skin and it has zero scratches since release date.

9. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Good luck with getting it exchanged but the scuffs don't come from nowhere. Dirt or particles are getting into your case and abrasion is causing the scuffs.

10. Anajaf27 thread starter macrumors regular

What skin?

Should I accept the replacement at 30$

Is there Any DIY fix for the scuffs yet?

And every time I lay my phone on the table or tap the back there is a small rattle.. Is that normal?

11. megapopular macrumors 6502a

And yes, I'd definitely take the replacement at $30.

12. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

Talk to a senior advisor. They waive the fee, the normal reps can't.

I have had three replacements due to camera not working (dead on arrival) replacement had the battery shacking issue but my third is perfect. The advisor even threw in for me new EarPods, an extra charger and adapter.

Just ask to transfer to a senior advisor please (say please!) if they try to charge the $29.99 for shipping.

13. darster Suspended

You have 30 days to return it. Return it and order a white one.

14. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

please don't start the rattling thing again.... it's perfectly fine it's the camera. And user scuffs are not going to warranty a free replacement. It's either you pay the $30 or you return it and hope that they have more iPhones in stock and you pay the restocking fee.

15. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

What the heck are you doing to the phone? Mine has been used naked since day 1...Sept 21 as I remember.....and it has not a single nick or scratch. Yes it's black. Maybe you would be better off with a plastic phone.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Maybe but why is this Apple's problem?

17. dave006, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

dave006 Contributor

dave006

Maybe depending on where you purchased your Black iPhone 5. If it was from Apple, return your iPhone 5 since it has not been 30 days and purchase the white model. :eek:

Did you purchase from Apple or from a carrier?

Also the $30 fee is actually $29 if you want an Advanced Replacement (AppleCare Advanced Replacement Service). This means that Apple sends you a replacement iPhone 5 first and then you have 10 days to return your iPhone.

Dave

18. Anajaf27 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try talking to a senior rep but if nothing else works .. I'll just keep the ip5 I have since there is nothing wrong with it expect the scuffs

Guess ill live with it

19. Surely Guest

Surely

The tires on my car keep getting scuffed up when I drive. Do you think my car dealership will replace them for me? I'm sick of them scuffing up from my use.

20. Anajaf27 thread starter macrumors regular

I purchased from a carrier and then replaced my first iphone 5 at the Apple store..guess I can't return it

Also I'm going naked

21. jason4427 macrumors member

Yeah. I was thinking that Mazda might want to replace my car because the bumper got scraped while I was parallel parked. lol

22. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

If people are so anal about scuffs why not put a full wrap on it?

23. Anajaf27 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm looking for side protectors but none of the stores I went to had any

24. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

That has not been my experience.. I have had advanced replacements and they charge $30 (unless you purchased apple care) and then put a hold for the full price of the phone on a credit card. If you return the defective phone in 7 days the hold will just fall off your card. However, if you don't return it the hold will turn into a charge for the full amount.

What exactly are you talking about $299 ? Have you had this done before?

I have had several advanced replacements from apple over the years including one for the iPhone 5 and they have all worked this way.

25. Anajaf27 thread starter macrumors regular

I called again and even the senior advisor couldn't hook me up a white iPhone as a replacement

Guess ill keep this one