I now own two iPads, White & Black: Which to keep? (I feel like a spoiled American)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BJB Productions, Sep 2, 2011.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

My lovely new Lion Safari managed to erase my entire thread that I was just about to post, so I'm re-writing all this. (yay)

Before I get into things. 1. Yes, I have two iPads. No need to troll about how I'm spoiled. Simply work gave me one. Call it what you like, but I call it blessed.:apple: 2. Yes, I own a white iPad, and I don't think it makes me girly. :rolleyes:

The dilemma:
    I purchased a White, 16gb wifi iPad2 back about a month after the release. It has light bleed, but otherwise works awesome.

Yesterday, my work just gave me a brand new, sealed, Black 16gb wifi iPad2. It's a gift from them to me, so I can do what I please with it.

My questions:
    • Anyone noticing which unit is having better resale value? White/black?
    • Has anyone been uncertain between both colours and decided on one?
    • Was light bleed fixed with the more recent batches of iPad2 shipments?

Some pros I've thought of if I keep black:
    1. Basically getting a brand new iPad for free, this includes warranty
    2. Light bleed fixed? (Correct me if I"m wrong)
    3. Basically getting a better device

Some pros I've thought of if I keep white:
    1. Get to keep the white
    2. Don't take the risk of getting a device which could preform worse, keep one I know that works.

As crazy as it might sound, I felt like the white bezel actually made the iPad resolution look better. I really do like the white most of the time. Although when I pull it out at meetings I feel like it sticks out a lot and is really embarrassing. That also goes for public places. I feel like it really sticks out and yells "mug me" (I will be traveling to Europe with it too...)

So in essence: I really would like to know if the more recent iPads are better/same/worse than the first batch that shipped. Has Apple fixed problems such as light bleed, etc? Or is the first shipped batch just as good as the current shipping models, or worse?

Thanks,

Oh... P.S My work also gave me a brand spankin' new 15" Quad Core i7 MBP...so I've got two of those too. Winning. :D

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This definitely qualifies for #firstworldproblems. :rolleyes:

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I have the white one and I have to say I like the change. I was getting tired of the same black on all of my stuff.

I say keep the white, but ultimately it's up to you.

Sent from my iPad.

4. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

"Use both iPads. There's starving kids in China who could eat tha-..." ...oh wait.

5. RebelScum macrumors 6502

If you're gonna nickel & dime over the difference in resale value of your purchased ipad and your free ipad, I say keep the white one. That way, when someone comes along and rips it off you in Europe and you come back to whine about it, I can point and laugh.

I also kind of hope someone backs over both of them. With a tank.

Anyway, good luck. When I get my bonus I'll come back and brag about it so you can make fun of me in return.

#classy

6. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Win. Tanks drive by quite often so I'll make sure to ask them next time about that.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

8. ninerfan macrumors regular

I think you ARE blessed! I also think you need to get all of us hired by your exceptional employer. That way, we can all be faced with the same dilemma and arrive at a workable solution :). Cherish the good times!

9. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

If what you received is a new & sealed iPad 2 & you are allowed to do anything to it, doesn't it make more sense to sell that one since I would think that it would get you the best resale value. No? :confused: I mean a brand new sealed iPad 2 is going to fetch you more money than a used iPad 2, correct? :confused:

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I doubt your employer would be impressed if you sold the items they gave you.

11. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

You are correct. However, I'm not doing this for the money. Again my really main question is if the current iPads shipping are better/same/worse than the first batches that shipped early on. I know they changed display providers, and tweaked a few things based on what was being returned.

Possibly in some cases. However, my employer gave iPad 1s to all staff a year ago, and now they've made it a priority that all new staff members receive an iPad automatically. Some of my coworkers sold off their iPad 1s as soon as they got them and waited for the 2.

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I bought two so one would always be at home for the family if I'm taking one to work.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

If they are fine with you hocking it ... next time tell them you would prefer cash

14. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

Is the light bleed your fault? Cause you might be able to get a new white one... I do believe that white iPads sell better than the black model

15. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

That's all you needed to ask in your first post. Nobody would assume your spoiled and you'll get the answers you need without fuss.

Or you could've mroogled your question.

EDIT: I just saw your signature. This is a waste of time.

16. planetwave2000 macrumors member

planetwave2000

Same specs, different color. You can sell either one of them.

or..........

I would sell the black one (don't open it for more resell value).

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you like white then keep it, the unopened one will have the best resale value.

18. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

19. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I was wondering if they all gave out the black iPad 2s, because if they did, then someone would definitely notice that you are using a white iPad 2 that they didn't give it you you. Then they will start wondering what you did with the black iPad 2 that they gave you previously.
    If this is not your concern, sell the black iPad 2 unopened, but at a cheaper price, locally or online. Then, you can save up that money for iPad 3.

20. henry72, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Sounds like you love the White one :D
    By the way, I'm really interested in your job and the company, could you tell me more about that? :)

If you really care about the light bleeding, you can always get it fix within one year :) so get your White on fix.

21. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I was about to ask that question, lol.

22. Jodene =o) macrumors newbie

Jodene =o)

... This wouldn't work out for you or your employer....

A cash bonus would be taxed on YOUR side....

However, your employer giving you a gift/vouchers is a tax write-off for THEM!

(Eg. $1000 bonus in cash would be taxed on your side.. = less cash. BUT, if you get $1000 gift/voucher, you get full amount, because employer buys them as work items and then claims them as a tax break on their side...)

BOT.. To OP... lucky you.. oh, to have your problems ;) I'd sell the sealed mint in-box one now... and wait for the iPad 3..... :)

23. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Wow. Companies are dishing these things out like sweets! Even state schools in the UK have started issuing them to teachers. The world has gone mad, but I love it.

As for your dilemma, it's a no brainer for me. The white. Keep the white. I think it's by far the best looking (especially with smart covers) and you already 'know' the device.

24. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Sell the black one that you got as gift, since its brand new it can be sold for more. Keep the white iPad, that way you'll get more money and you'll have the color you prefer. It may sound odd to sell an item that you got as gift but thats the best option IMO.