I now work for Apple!!

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
Hey all, t removed what i said til this can get taken off. I feel i may have said too much and dont want to do any damage before i've even started.
cheers

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Sweet! I guess you could say you come to MacRumors so you can report back on customer needs, right? It's "market research" :D

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
You lucky b*stard... :D

Congratulations...

Cross your fingers for me, I'm gonna apply for a job at an Apple Retail store here in Bergen this week... We don't have any Apple Stores here, in fact you're going to start working in my "local" Apple Store :)p), but we do have a couple of dedicated Apple Retail stores...

The Past

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2004
United States
stevehaslip said:
but if u pm me ill tell u.

You did not say that, did you? Please be careful as you already know how particular Apple is about these things. At least don't make such statements in public after announcing which store you will be working at.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I don't understand.... why is the apple store so particular about the facts? I mean, salary and stuff?? It's not that secret is it?

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
pdpfilms said:
I don't understand.... why is the apple store so particular about the facts? I mean, salary and stuff?? It's not that secret is it?
ThinkSecret had a repot about it a while ago. I don't Apple appreciated it though.

Anyways, congrats on the job, stevehaslip! I'm hoping to nab a job at the new Annapolis, MD store opening here soon for a summer job. I'm gonna have to PM or e-mail you about some things, if you don't mind and if Apple doesn't mind either. It's probably best if you just locked up your account now and never show up here again though. Apple seems pretty tight about what their employees are doing.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Geez when I read the thread title I thought it was for Apple headquarters. Then I thought, is it a good idea to post to a public forum?

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
stevehaslip said:
Also you know how the Regent Street Store is super-swank on thefloor? Well its super-swank behind the scenes too, its like being on the set of 24!
What do you mean by swank? And I would love to go to the set of 24 :D I asked Joseph Hodges but he said I would have to talk to fox :(

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
stevehaslip said:
Hey all,
I got a grin about a mile wide on my face now, my mouth has been in permanent coathanger mode since about 5pm this evening. I applied to work in the Regent Street Apple Store just after Christmas, although they didn't have any jobs then I thought if I applied then I'd be in their books as it were. Well they just decided to recruit a few more people, went for an interview last week and several very nervous days later I get a call saying they want me to be part of team zissou, sorry the team.

AWESOME huh!?

I was gonna post a thread asking for advice, but searched and found a few things out. I don't think I'll be posting anymore as I'm not sure that they like the rumour sites! But I guess I should be ok to participate in community discussions etc?

I had to sign an NDA before i even interviewed! Also you know how the Regent Street Store is super-swank on thefloor? Well its super-swank behind the scenes too, its like being on the set of 24!
Congrats on the new job.

I would suggest that no matter how much you feel that you want to clue us in on some new Apple product, policy, or whatever, that you bite your toungue and say nothing.

Feel free to post on the personal boards about other inocuous subjects but stay away from Apple related subjects. That is if you like your job.

Again, congrats!

Sushi

KCK

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2003
Oakland, CA
Lacero said:
Geez when I read the thread title I thought it was for Apple headquarters. Then I thought, is it a good idea to post to a public forum?
I have seen posts from one of the people who worked on the Mac Mini project on another forum. It wasn't a Mac specific but he didn't hide the fact of who he was. The people at the other forum saw enough details to believe the poster on his claim of working for Apple and on the Mini project.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
edesignuk said:
Congratulations! Now...on to the important stuff...staff discount? ;) :D
apple store employees get the same discount as all other apple staff (i'm not an apple employee, but i know quite a few - both in retail and that work on campus). Also I've heard that the salary they are paid now is not nearly as generous as it used to be; they also schedule people one hour under the minimum to be full-time, but so do millions of other companies. They have also lowered the standards, if you remember when they first opened you had to have 5 years retail experience, but not anymore. Though that might be better, cause I know at a couple places they hired people that have never even used a Mac but they were professional sales people going for the higher salary.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
Can you tell us some of the questions that the person asked you in the interview? I would like to get a general view of the questions they asked people for apple retail. Plan to do it when I turn 18 which won't be for awhile.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
pdpfilms said:
Apple likes their secrets.

I'd highly recommend that, before you become one of the shortest-lived Apple employees ever, you reconsider what you post or even offer to give out.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
the_mole1314 said:
Don't post ever again if you like working for Apple. Trust me man, they'll know. TRUST ME.
All these warnings are quite amusing. I know of at least 3 Apple employees that routinely view and occasionally post here, even from inside of Apple (so if they are monitoring they would know they people have accessed this site). They're not gonna fire you just for hanging out at a macrumors unless you start breaking your NDA. Helping people with things that are public knowledge is not a problem.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
I've often considered ditching my current job for one at the local Apple Store (assuming they don't reject me :p ...). But I've got a pretty good part-time office job that lets me work whenever the hell I want. I love having the flexibility.