I own Apple everything but I have 0 interest in HomePod.

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by XciteMePls, Jan 27, 2018.

1. XciteMePls macrumors member

I'm an Apple fanboy admittedly (MacBook Pro, iPhone X, iPad Pro, Apple Watch S3, and Apple TV 4K) but I won't be dropping $400 on a mono speaker that's only tied to Apple Music subscription services (which I don't subscribe to, I like to purchase and OWN my digital music collection).

I already have a 7.1 Klipsch home theater setup, which puts me directly in the center of a virtual concert when I'm listening to music, so can you tell me what the HomePod will offer me?

No seriously. If you can convince me it's a valuable addition to the Apple ecosystem, I'll consider it. Any takers?

2. Relentless Power, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think you primarily listed your reasons why you would have no use for the HomePod, only you can make that justification. And I can kind of relate to the home audio set up, as I have two twin JBL set up's with two twin 400W subwoofers. But in all reality, I don't need that type extreme sound all the time emanating from my home audio set up, which I can use the HomePod for more toned down version in a separate room for music, inquiries and or HomeKit compatibility.

The way I see it, is the HomePod is not meant to replace your home audio set up, it's meant to supplement in a different room where you might be more active. Also like that they can be moved to various locations throughout your house if you want, unlike a home audio set up where its primarily a stationary set up.

I don't necessarily view my post as a way to convince you, but primarily how I would use the HomePod. Apple Music obviously will enhance the experience, which I am willing to believe most use being in the Apple ecosystem.

3. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

If I didn’t use only Apple Music I wouldn’t buy it either but I do and can’t wait to test mine out.

4. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Do you have any other smart speakers in your home? I’m not really sure if you’re sad that it doesn’t seem to fit your specific use case or what..? Just because Apple came up with it doesn’t mean you should just buy it.

That being said if you already have another smart speaker this may ‘upgrade’ that experience for you. But at a cost.

5. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Not sure which way apple is going to go with their marketing for this "high end" smart speaker but I don't see non-audiophiles finding this smart speaker worth the retail price vs "cheaper" smart speakers.

I'm basically in the same boat as you and, at least at that price, don't see how the homepod would add any value over my echo connected to a speaker for A LOT less.

6. actcyclist macrumors 6502

actcyclist

I've had a look at it and decided it's overpriced at $AU500.
    The problem is it won't sound as good as my existing sound system and it doesn't have the abilities of the Google Home or Echo which cost far less.

I think Apple saw what Amazon and Google were selling, panicked, and rushed this device out the door.

I can see why Apple is worried because these devices have the potential to break Apple's ecosystem lockdown.
    A new Google Home Mini enters my home; if I find it handy I'll switch my calendar/reminders over from Apple. Then I might switch my music service from Apple Music to Spotify.. then a few more services.
    Later on, when I'm buying a phone it could make more sense to get an Android because it works better with the services I'm now using.

7. chabig macrumors 603

I don’t think HomePod is for you, but you already knew that didn’t you?

8. JBaby macrumors regular

JBaby

Nope. And you aren’t alone. The only  device I don’t own is an  watch. I do subscribe to Music, but I still have no interest. What killed it for me was that I can’t use it with the tv. I don’t have a home theater setup. I had hoped to get a sound upgrade for my TV. My TV is in my bedroom and it’s the only room I’d use the HomePod in.

9. pcfarrar macrumors member

It works with Apple TV via AirPlay.

10. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

Well for starters, you're not really an Apple fanboy unless you have Apple Music ;) Like you, I like to "own" my own music, having ripped 30K+ tracks to FLAC. But having Apple Music is a complimentary service. Maybe I don't feel like spending $14 to hear the new Migos album, so I can stream it via Apple Music for free. If it's really good, maybe I'll buy it. If it stinks, no extra money came out of my pocket.

I'm rocking a 7.1 Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus + McIntosh system, and all the associated audiophile tomfoolery that goes with it. Again, a HomePod is complimentary. It will go in my kitchen, where space is at a premium. I already tried "audiophile" sound in the kitchen, via a pair of $1K+ Dynaudio Xeo 2 powered speakers. Sound was fantastic, but WAF was extremely low. Even I thought they took up too much room. HomePod will be unobtrusive, and be able to replace all the assistant functions that I currently use an Echo Dot for, e.g. 'set a timer for 10 minutes'.

When you experience the pure simplicity of voice-requesting 40 million songs via Apple Music, it's hard to go back to anything else. When I want to sit down, relax and enjoy the sound.. I have a dedicated room + gear for that.

11. Plett macrumors regular

Plett

I am having the same problem, just can't come up with a use case. I stream my music to my vehicle, or computer, or Apple TV, and can do it from my phone in the same manner. I suspect this is a great device, but one that even a fanboy can ignore.

12. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

LOL - also great answers to the rest of the post.

13. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

For a speaker it seems really basic/small. Like the kind of speaker you would take with you on a trip or to the park or something. It doesn't look like a piece of high end audio equipment that I would invest in for my home.

And as a voice assistant we all know Siri sucks, she's dumb as a plank. For me this product is just meh and I'm really deep into the ecosystem with every category of product Apple sells apart from the Apple TV.

14. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

HomePod has no business replacing a home theater. To me they would be useful in other rooms with AirPlay 2 compatibility for multi-room audio. Have an ATV in the living room with the bangin’ surround sound and HomePods (or other AP2 speakers) anywhere else you want them.

15. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

You can use it with the Apple TV

16. JBaby macrumors regular

JBaby

You can, but it’s not ideal.

17. bopajuice, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018

bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I was with you with the B&W and McIntosh until you said you put Dynaudio in your kitchen, and you named prices. Makes you go hmmm.

I thought iTunes does not support FLAC. How are you going to get your media to a HomePod? Not sure if there is some smoke blowing going on.

18. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

I’ve got an Atmos setup in my living room. I don’t see it as a replacement for in there. I do have a further 12 rooms that could do with some music. And yes we all use Apple Music. Will be nice to have them all linked with minimum amount of cables.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't buy Apple products because of the fruit logo, but rather that they fill a specific need. I'll not belabor that point and create a point by point list of why I think the iPhone/Mac/watch are great but suffice to say I think there are advantages to sticking with the apple ecosystem.

I have a smart speaker, the alexa, and I'm very happy with it. Also given the price I feel no guilt if it sits in the living room for several days unused. I do think Apple's design is eye catching, and I believe the first looks (no real reviews yet) stating that the sound is excellent. Yet because of the price tag, I don't think its something that will fit in with my plans. Heck, it seems seeing a Jeep commercial, you can use Alexa to remote start your car via uConnect. I'm sure there needs to be some special equipment, but that just shows how much more ahead of the game Amazon is over Apple.

20. BeatCrazy, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018

BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

Dynaudio - in the kitchen. Still with me?
    IMG_0538.JPG

Never said the FLAC was in my iTunes. I use Plex Media Server, and Logitech Media Server to handle my FLAC collection. I don't expect the HomePod to directly pay my FLACs. Either I just voice-request songs directly from Apple Music (most common), or if there's something Apple Music doesn't have, both Plex and LMS (via iPeng app) have direct streaming apps to pull FLAC to my iPhone, then send that via AirPlay to the HomePod. Done all this hundreds of times with devices like AppleTV, etc. Works great.

21. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Nice looking speakers. Always been a fan of Dynaudio.

22. gvasco macrumors newbie

gvasco

For me the HomePod doesn’t fill any usage gap there is. Want to airplay music in every part of your house there are simple software and hardware solutions that you’d literally be able to place in each and every room for the price of the HomePod.

With “Hey Siri” available on every new device as long as you have one of your devices in the room you have Siri with you to control HomeKit devices and Music playback (so long as it’s that device that’s playing).

I must admit I have an iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro but was never tempted by any of the other devices like the Apple TV or watch and now the HomePod. For any of these there is either another competitor solution that’s more feature rich and cheaper or there are open source solutions that provide more freedom and are easy to use as well.

23. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

0 interest and you post a thread asking to be convinced????o_Oo_Oo_O 0 interest means NO interest what so ever, as in not caring to even read a thread much less create one.

24. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

AirPlay solutions with voice support of Apple Music? Please share more info.

I have 2 kids and a wife, all enjoy music, around the house and especially in the kitchen. Not everyone wants to pick up a phone or iPad when you quickly want to hear a modern favorite, or an old classic.

25. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

from the link:

1. Most AppleTV in use today are already linked via HDMI to an AVR receiver with wired speakers.

BUHAHHAAHAA, no. no they are not.

the other author points were weighted with silly or is still an unknown given the fact that the software in the home pod will adjust for room placement.

not making a comment towards you. just want to make sure people don't think that link is the be all end all post on the subject.

we will all collectively know feb 9.