I phone 4S is larger the the 4 according to Best Buy today...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrandonZ, Oct 13, 2011.

1. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

I went in to Best Buy to purchase a case for the 4S and the worker at the counter said Apple just confirmed to them today that the 4S is 4mm or so larger is dimension. Im not sure which dimension. He said he was told to let customers know before they purchase a case. Anyone else heard of this?

2. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Yeah, no.

3. theperipheral macrumors 6502

the 4 and 4S are different. the volume buttons, and the mute switch are further down on the 4S than they are on the 4. cases for the 4 will not fit the 4S.

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Any case that supports the Verizon iPhone 4 will fit on the iPhone 4S.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So much for people claiming apple did everyone a favor keeping the design the same as far as accessories go.

6. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I had a similar thing happen. Walked into Best Buy to buy a case that will work with the 4S. Salesman walks up, asks me if I need any help. I tell him I'm looking for either a case for the 4S or the Verizon iP4. He says, "oh, any case will work as long as it's for the iPhone 4. They're EXACTLY the same". Um...no they're not.

So, I had to inform him that the mute switch is closer to the volume buttons on both the Verizon iPhone 4 and the 4S. The only difference between those two is the 4S has a SIM slot. And yeah, while technically a case for the AT&T iPhone 4 will work with the 4S, the mute switch will be nearly covered and may not be able to toggle the way it's supposed to.

It amazes me that these guys don't know the basic differences between phones. Or maybe I'm just expecting too much. I don't know.

7. futch macrumors 6502

futch

I hate cases on my iPhone.

This may give case manufacturers the ability to charge higher prices for the 4S cases than the 4 cases that have already come down some.

8. BrandonZ thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I hope the guy was wrong. I purchased a Lifeproof case anyway. Ill just return it if it doesnt work. We will all know tomorrow.

9. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

mikethebigo got it exactly right. And the volume buttons ARE NOT different. It's only the mute switch between the AT&T 4 and the Verizon 4/4S. It's closer to the volume buttons on the 4S and Verizon 4.

Left - iPhone 4S
    Middle - AT&T iPhone 4
    Right - Verizon iPhone 4

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/225931ispim66z66iawdwb.jpg

10. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

If you go to lifeproof's website, they market their cases as iPhone 4/4S, so you should be good to go.

11. BrandonZ thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually just called them and they said it is the same case just a different package with the 4s logo. Good news.

12. theperipheral macrumors 6502

Saw this the other day.

Attached Files:

13. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I hate to tell you this but you are wrong. I have my 4S sitting on top of my 4 right now. The volume buttons are in this EXACT same place. The mute switch is slightly further down. As per Apple's website, all of your iPhone 4 cases and accessories will work with your new iPhone 4S. I have my new 4S in my 4 case as well.