I Phone Maps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gdoubleu, May 4, 2012.

1. Gdoubleu macrumors newbie

What is going on with maps on my I phone!!!
    its never been much good but its getting worse

It cant find basic addresss sometimes which renders it useless and me stranded

The heavy blue route line obscures the name of the road (bad design)

The location dot gets stuck then jumps ahead (possibly a satellite problem rather than a phone problem??) but it seems to be happening more which again renders the maps virtually useless and incredibly frustrating

It is hard to discern which direction you need to go or are facing (i know you can go from maps to list which helps a bit) but if there was some functionality to assist you to understand which way you are pointing or something

Basically its a crappy piece of software that leaves you stranded unless you have some other navigational device to fall back on when it lets you down

Gdoubleu

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I use TomTom. Worth the 50 USD. I can't stand the built in GPS. I've used the TomTom app on several cross country trips and it's never let me down.

3. Gdoubleu thread starter macrumors newbie

i phone maps

i concur, thank you i think i will bin the amateur navigator that has been leading me up the garden path and go with a decent product ....shame you cant rely on the i phone app coz they are just too lazy to fix it

4. JAT macrumors 603

Or at least Telenav gps. Google Maps was never really designed to guide you step by step.

5. DroidRules, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012

DroidRules macrumors 65816

You seem to be a very dramatic person. If the iPhone maps don't tell you where to go you're stranded? Really? How did you get where you were going and suddenly stranded? Did the phone tell you were to go then "strand" you there? Sounds like your phone is the issue.... it hates you. You should attempt to swap it for another phone.

6. Gdoubleu thread starter macrumors newbie

i phone maps

most unhelpful response if you have little helpful to say say nothing .....my i phone maps gets you half way to somewhere and then stops working and you cannot proceed to your destination (others have been able to work that out) as you have no idea where you are
    It is not me it is not the phone its the maps software!

7. DroidRules macrumors 65816

So you blindly follow what your iPhone tells you instead of looking at the destination to at least get an idea where you're going? Sounds about right.

I have never had this issue with my iPhone map app. Maybe a restore is in order?

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I totally love the build in GPS/Google Maps. Use it constantly.

As a side note, folks do need to pull back and review where they are going vs blindly following what it says. Sometimes it does give you a wrong destination. Either a garbage in, garbage out problem or just plain stupid.

Again, use it all the time and love it.

9. mattkowalski macrumors member

I agree with that.

But when you say that it stops working... what happens? Does it lose the GPS signal, lose the cell signal or the app crashes? If it's either of the first two, a different mapping app probably won't make that much difference, and there's something wrong with your phone.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would expect an issue with the cell signal before an issue with the gps signal unless you are in the heart of a major city with tall buildings.

I still prefer my Garmin Nuvi to the iPhone - all the maps are on the Nuvi, I have a subscription for updates, and it always knows where it is.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Garmin on the iPhone performs poorly. Typically lags and then catches up.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

I meant the Garmin stand-alone device, not Garmin on the iPhone.