I predict Trump pics Thomas Hardiman, but Trump should wait.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Jan 31, 2017.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I predict Trump pics Thomas Hardiman, but Trump should wait.

Since Hardiman worked with Trumps sister, and Trump may even know him, strong inside connection.

But I think Trump should not announce now because the SCOTUS is a huge er, Trump Card, for him.
    He can dangle the new justice to encourage faster action on his other promises, like the $1T infrastructure program he will have difficulty getting Rep support.
    Congress deny, he chooses moderate choice.

2. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Unless that last part is already out there pending the nod. Trump moves faster than a DC cop car chasing a burglar.

3. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

FYI for everyone, the reason the administration is making the SCOTUS nomination now is deliberate. The Court's current term ends in June, and it will likely take until then before the nominee submits all the paperwork, goes through hearings, the Senate votes, etc. The goal is to have the new Justice confirmed and in place for the start of the Court's next term that begins in October 2017.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

That might be part of it, but it is also a desperate attempt to change the narrative. The current president needs to get people thinking about something - anything - other than the disaster his first 10 days in office have been.

Remember 241 dead Marines in Beirut?

5. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

That slow?
    :p
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2017 ---
    Did not see any urgency to get a new judge last year.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

lol i read that as "chasing a burger".. giving away my nyc roots I guess...

7. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Had it been a donut, then I would say it is fast. :D :D

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

We used to joke that when a patrol car went by with rack lights flashing and full on sound effects, it meant the precinct just radioed them the pizzas were in house. I used to look both ways on one-way streets near the 24th precinct house, and not because I feared muggers.

On the thread topic, I don't know if this is the best moment for Trump to announce his pick since he already put the country in such an uproar that few will care about a conservative nomination that's going to be filbustered for months. His first pick, to fill Scalia's seat, should get all due attention.

The two apparent final candidates are qualified. They can expect to get the filibuster treatment nonetheless and really they have McConnell to blame for that. It's not like Garland was an unqualified pick, it's not like Garland was a "liberal" pick and it's not like the country couldn't have used a fully qualified justice to help with the workload that was piling up. Tit for tat will now ensue and no one should expect otherwise or whine about it.

Oops, too late, the whining began when Trump in all his insanity complained that he won the Presidency without winning the irrelevant national popular vote.

I can hardly wait to see what Trump tweets when his court pick gets to warm a bench for however many days Garland got to do the same. "So unfair! So sad! I will have to fire this guy and pick a liberal to get him passed! Stay tuned"!

Man if that happens the GOP leadership in the Senate will go full baconbits.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No sense in waiting. The left is going to howl about this like Trump roasted a live puppy and ate on tv regardless of who he picks.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

And rightfully so considering that is the same treatment that the right extended to Obama.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Trump picked Neil Gorsuch. A good pick from what I've been hearing.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

He will have killed a gay and used a racial slur by weeks end. The media is on it.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

“Judges should instead strive (if humanly and so imperfectly) to apply the law as it is, focusing backward, not forward, and looking to text, structure, and history to decide what a reasonable reader at the time of the events in question would have understood the law to be — not to decide cases based on their own moral convictions or the policy consequences they believe might serve society best. As Justice Scalia put it, “if you’re going to be a good and faithful judge, you have to resign yourself to the fact that you’re not always going to like the conclusions you reach. If you like them all the time, you’re probably doing something wrong.”

“[Gorsuch] has a well thought out conception of Constitutional interpretation and the way that structure protects liberty. He’s most known for his opinions supporting religious liberty and pushing back on the administrative state,” Shapiro said.

When it comes to the administrative state, Gorsuch is a proponent of small government. He is skeptical of doling out authority to bureaucratic agencies and allowing them to interpret the law.

I like what I have read about him so far. Need to hear his thoughts on 2A though.

Sources

15. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I LOL'd!

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

"Gorsuch is also a defender of religious liberty. In a well-known case, Hobby Lobby Stores Inc. v. Sebelius, Judge Gorsuch ruled against the Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive mandate, which requires private employers to provide employees with insurance to cover contraceptive costs. The companies in question claimed it violated their religious beliefs, and Gorsuch sided with the private companies and their rights to religious liberty."

[​IMG]

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

So he's for company's religious liberties but not individuals, great....

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yeah I saw that decision as a lose lose.

19. MacNut, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So the republicans better not vote for Trumps nomination seeing this is his last year in office. They set a precedent they better not go back on it now.

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so a judge that does what you want then instead of a neutral one?

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

What is stopping individuals from buying their own contraceptives?

22. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

It's a private company and birth control. Don't like it, don't work there.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I didn't know companies go to church.

How hard it must be to dodge the collection plate.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

priorities: air, water, shelter, food, sex... contraceptives...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2017 ---
    post of the day, man. where is rdowns. "you win the internetz".

25. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Cost, it is something that should be included in insurance. I'd be happy to have a compromise where the government funds our insurance and companies don't have to worry about their religious beliefs being compromised. But as it is if the choice is between individual rights and corporate rights I will side with the individual rights.