I purchased osx lion 10.7 how to load on a server 2011 mini

Discussion in 'macOS' started by philipma1957, Aug 17, 2011.

1. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Okay don't want the server software want lion osx 10.7 on my 2011 server mini. I purchased it legally via the app store and have it on my mac pro. I know the software can be downloaded to my apple computers if i want no server on the server am i allowed to do so? if so how. second follow up question can the usb stick be used to load the server mini with non server version?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 2011 Mini's have a special build that isn't on the App Store. If your Mini came with the Server software, you'll have to find another 2011 non-server Mini and make a USB recovery drive with it.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

What OS did your server mini ship with? Was it SL? If it was SL, you should be able to install Lion by redownloading to the mini. I saved time by copying the install app to memory stick before letting it run so I wouldn't have to download it on each machine. When I walked up to a mini I wanted to upgrade, I popped in the stick, copied it to applications and ran it from there. It worked fine. Now if your Mini came with Lion server, why on earth would you care whether it's server or desktop as long as it's Lion? (Does Apple leave important stuff out of server 'cuz they assume nobody's gonna sit there?).

4. philipma1957, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

okay I have a 2011 2.5 model I cloned it to the server second hd2 and that seems to be doing what I want. I now have the mac hd2 drive with regular lion 10.7 on it. the other hd has server on it.
    If I go to preferences and pick startup drive on one I am getting server osx and if i go to preferences and pick the other I am getting standard lion. that is okay for now... I did not want server but I wanted the quad cpu.

r0k
    "What OS did your server mini ship with? Was it SL? If it was SL, you should be able to install Lion by redownloading to the mini. I saved time by copying the install app to memory stick before letting it run so I wouldn't have to download it on each machine. When I walked up to a mini I wanted to upgrade, I popped in the stick, copied it to applications and ran it from there. It worked fine. Now if your Mini came with Lion server, why on earth would you care whether it's server or desktop as long as it's Lion? (Does Apple leave important stuff out of server 'cuz they assume nobody's gonna sit there?)"

MY server is a 2011 it is lion.

I want standard lion osx because it is working better then server lion osx is at this time. Server lion is having a problem with my mail and my nas. Standard lion is working with both.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

These instructions may work too.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4827