I ran an app called MacMechanic and I lost the files associated with my iTunes songs...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by a-m-k, Jan 2, 2018.

1. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

When I want to play something from my iTunes list, it won't play. However, I backed up my MBP to TimeMachine yesterday. How do I retrieve the mp4 files from TimeMachine to be played from my iTunes list?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

3. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Thank you for your advice, I knew Mac Mechanic did that, I was told by an :apple: technician over the phone to install it. It has been very handy. I didn't download this on my own.

4. ZapNZs, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

As Sam noted, Mac Mechanic is not a helpful App and its safety profile is questionable at-best. Why an Apple technician would advise this I do not know, but after doing the restore, removing it is probably the best idea (removing this type of software is sometimes a bit tricky...for example, you will want to remove any files it places inside your launchd folders.)

Programs of this type generally do not offer any additional benefit over functions that the OS performs on its own or the User can perform manually, and multiple people who are far smarter than I have noted how some of these Apps can cause significant directory damage, increase CPU usage (and running temperatures), increase RAM usage, and increase disk usage, ultimately resulting in the system being worse off than it was to start.

Further, upon removing the App, you may want to run First Aid on the disk.

Is this the website for the App?
    http://www.advancedmactools.com/