I Ran Into a Muslim and an Iranian Yesterday

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by APlotdevice, Feb 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I was attending a joint International Student Club meeting between two colleges. I first met a muslim girl. She was from China of all places! Admittedly I was taken aback; although I know the Chinese people are more religious than its government lets on, you generally don't associate western religions. Least of all Islam. Also her dress was only modest when compared to some of the other girls who were there. Really the only reason the topic came up at all was because we weren't sure whether the hotdogs were all beef. She had a shy but cheerful personality.

While she and I were chatting a gentleman from Iran came up and joined the conversation. He wasn't Muslim, but rather belonged to one of the region's minor ethnic religions. We had a whole long conversation about how English has names for countries which are completely different from the term natives use (eg "Japan" is actually "Nihon"). He seemed like a really upbeat guy. Happily conversing with women and men alike. He did seem unsure about the degree of the holocaust, but wasn't at all bothered by the fact that I identify as ethnically Jewish.

And that's it. Just two pleasant people who came to a party to have fun.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

This is how a perfect world works. Nobody cares about anyone else's personal business, just how they interact with others.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I went to work with 2000 ethnically diverse coworkers on Friday, I am a minority on my mostly Chinese team.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

My life everyday living in Queens, NY :)

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

6. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

That holocaust bit is kinda unsettling, not gonna lie.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The emphasis on historical events is taught differently around the world.

8. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

True, and maybe I'm wrong on this, but isn't holocaust denial a widespread issue in Iran?

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if you're right though.

10. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Cool.

Yesterday I talked to a buddy of mine. He's black.

11. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Not just Iran, but denial also in the other 35+ Muslim-dominated countries. And probably widespread ambivalence (they don't give a crap about the issue) in another 5 dozen countries like say India or South Korea.

And even in "Europeanized" Turkey (they pretty much think they belong in the European Union already :rolleyes:) there is no effing way in Hell they will actually admit to the existence of the (Nazi) Holocaust. Because doing so means that they self-incriminate about their role in the Holocaust (Genocide) against Armenians.

12. A.Goldberg, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

A lot of Arab world is either teaches holocaust denial, minimizes Holocaust (numbers killed, impact, etc), or don't teach it at all. The Jewish world often says this is done by Muslims so as not to legitimize Israel. It also gives reason to criticize Jews and remove any sympathy and therefore promote hate.

Former Irianian President Ahmadinejad was a big denier of the Holocaust. As was President Abbas of Palestine.

With some local governments restricting the teaching of evolution in the US, it's not surprising some Muslim governments would deny or minimize or don't mention the holocaust to promote their politics.

There are many Asian countries that have never heard of the holocaust. That probably has nothing to do with antisemetism.

Quite honestly, I find most people reasonablely get along with eachother, if for nothing less for the sake of politeness. When you have people with extreme religious or political philosophy representing your country, then you create conflict. In my experience visiting Israel, most people I know there have nothing against Palestinians and most Palestinians have nothing against Jews. Once you throw in religious terrorists (on both sides) and extremelely polarized governments and provocation and self protection, etc... Then you end up with conflict. A random Jew and Muslim locked in a room together would however get along fine.

I'm Jewish, raised in a pretty Jewish conservative family, and have had plenty of pretty adherent Muslims friends over the years.

13. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

FYI China has around 20 million Muslims. That's the problem with generalizations and stereotypes, they are often wrong.

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I guess the OP lives a sheltered life.

15. APlotdevice thread starter macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Indeed. But it's something we're all guilty of at some point. Just on this board I see generalizations about Muslims, Christians, Athiests, Republicans, Democrats, Gun supporters, gun-control supporters, Mac users, Android users, etc etc. it's so easy to get caught in that way of thinking and forget that these are all people. Every bit as complex as ourselves.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2016 ---
    No, just trying to make a point and stir up an actual conversation rather than just an argument like virtually every other thread in PRSI.

16. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

People need to travel more in general.

The more you travel, the more you realise that the vast majority of people just want (At the core) food, water, a roof over their head and a future for their children.

The vast majority do not care about trying to go to war with other nations. People across the world aren't so different.

But that's not what most governments want you to believe. Get out there and see for yourself.

17. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Well, be sure to only book a one-way flight if you plan on traveling to places like Sudan, Somalia, Tunisia and Yemen.

18. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I enjoyed reading it. It would be ideal, if the whole world could live the same way, aka peaceful co-existence.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

First thing I thought of. :p

That, or the thread title plus "...on the way to the forum."

20. Technarchy, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

This is PRSI, not your personal blog about people you randomly talk to.

Yesterday I pet a cat. Are you impressed and want a thread about it? Probably not.

I doubt this thread would exist if you met a Chinese Christian.

21. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Islam originates in the Middle East, not from the western world, and almost two thirds of all the worlds muslims live in Asia.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

To the Chinese, no doubt, Islam originates in the West.

23. APlotdevice thread starter macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Yes, but so did Judaism and Christianity. And while Islam isn't prominent in Western Europe anymore, it once extended all the way to what is now Spain.

24. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I'm not sure what your point is exactly, the the political situation in a country and the desires of the every day people living there are often completely different.

25. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Okay, I can appreciate that. There is certainly some really nasty **** going on in this subforum. Maybe I shouldn't give you such a hard time.

Have you really never met a Muslim woman or an Iranian man? Your need to relate an utterly boring interaction with these two people is strange. Was I supposed to expect something different? You know they probably don't walk around thinking of themselves as 'the Muslim' and 'the Iranian.'

I met a Jew on the train yesterday, and we talked about Mahler. What a normal dude!