I really just want an attractive smart watch for a small wrist, but not $1000

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sixxmum, Oct 11, 2014.

1. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

There don't seem to be any options right now, really. The rose gold Apple Watch is beautiful, but I don't see myself spending $3k for a wearable electronic that I would want to replace after a couple of years (six kids = much bills).

Apple may win this round for lack of other options.

2. Tanegashima macrumors 6502

Get any one that will cost less than $1k?

Or don't get any one.

3. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Is the Pebble steel too bulky? You can get it with a leather strap.

4. mtmac macrumors regular

You can buy one for as cheap as $350, or if you opt for a gold one, you'll likely be able to keep it for a long time as you'll be able to upgrade it.

Apple produced exponentially more options on this product than any other product they have ever before offered, yet people will always want more. You might consider getting an aluminum Sport anodized a gold color.

If you're just upset that like most people you can't afford/justify a gold watch, welcome to the club.

5. psylence2k macrumors 6502

go for the pebble steel until the apple watch gets better. Pretty solid smart watch that looks nice and does all the basic functions really well.

5-7 days battery life, water resistant up to 50 meters. $199

6. Piggie, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

"Apple produced on this product than any other product they have ever before offered"

Really?

Comes in 3 colours?

iPhone, iPad? come in 2 or 3 colours now.

Two different sizes?

iPhone and iPad both come in two different size options.

A selection of different looking screens?

iPhone, iPad, iPod, iMac's all have unlimited looking screens, TOTALLY open the the user.

Different types of straps?

You can buy a whole range of official and millions of 3rd party cases and add on's for iPhone and iPads.

I think you will find the watch is the most 'Limited' of Apple's devices in choice in reality if you think about it.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The piggie has reached a new high (or low) in hyperbole (and we know piggie is infamous for pessimism).:D

2 (sizes) x 3 (styles) x 2 (finishes) x >20 (bands) = >240 different aWatches combinations from Apple on launch day.

8. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

Haha this hyperbolic pessimism is quite amusing. The device isn't out yet, we know next to nothing about WatchKit but people are already convinced it's going to be Apple's most limited device yet. Even though Tim Cook told Charlie Rose Apple designed Watch to be "incredibly personal" and that it had to "reflect your taste and what you want to express about yourself". Fascinating. :)

9. Julien, Oct 15, 2014

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

We do know that Apple had 63 Apps (or placeholders) on the aWatch. Here is a thread about this. So there are probably at least several high profile companies that already have an alpha WatchKit to work on. I hope they have WatchKit ready before the end of the year. I bet many developers are up ½ the night dreaming on new ideas for aWatch Apps and chomping at the bit to get started. With Healthkit and HomeKit there could be many 100's of useful Apps on launch day. Also once the aWatch goes into production and parts can be 'smuggled' out, the 3ed party band market will pump out more styles and types of bands than can be imagined now.

While no one can predict for sure the success of the aWatch, it's a fact it will have HUGE customization and variations options on launch day. Way more than any other product in Apple or Smart Watch history.

[​IMG]

10. leenak macrumors 68020

I think finding an attractive smart watch will be difficult due to the fact that a smart watch will need to be a certain size. I think the apple watch is ugly but I'm interested in the functionality and don't really care about the looks.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Oxymoron :D

12. leenak macrumors 68020

Do you really need me to explain? I meant I don't care that it is ugly, if it has functionality that I'm interested in, I may still buy it.

13. dingster1 macrumors regular

Check out the Martian smartwatches . Very stylish, "more watch than smart" one reviewer stated on you tube.

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

No No Noooooooooooooooo.

I was really being positive, people saying well there are many permutations of the watch, kinda implying it's unusual in that respect.

I was pointing out, in theory, it's not really different from other products now.

We have iPhone in two sizes, one could say in 3 sizes really.
    We have iPad in two sizes, and soon to be 3 sizes we thing.

iPhone case comes in 3 colours of metal and the iPad we think will also come in 3 colours of metal.

Apple make cases, in different materials and many colours for iPhone and iPad.

And of course, you can fully and openly customize the on screen look of both devices totally freely to look exactly how you want.

I was not being negative.
    More being positive, and showing, actually current Apple devices already have a VAST range of permutations, probably more than the watch will have.

----------

Indeed. I have been wondering this.

Apple's straps. The metal ones, and going to be expensive. I think we are all expecting this. Given how much they want for a rubber molding for the iPhone.

If you Ebay or Google metal watch straps, even some really decent looking ones then cost very very little indeed.
    Machines in other countries are pumping out fine link chains for straps 24 hours a day I'm sure, and cost perhaps a couple of dollars.

Naturally there will be the high end brands who will sell very nice straps at just under Apple's official strap price. However, I'd imagine it would take that long before you will be able to pick up some really nice metal straps that fit, for a really reasonable price.

They would be quite up to the quality, but the'll cost a fraction, and people have been making straps for decades, it's just the connector than needs creating and that won't take much.

So yes, but the cheapest watch and fit a nice metal 3rd party cheap strap and get good looks for minimum outlay :)

15. KPOM macrumors G5

I'm guessing the actual mechanism will be patented, so Apple can choose whether or not to license "official" replacement bands. They may want to keep all the band market to themselves. No one has yet reverse engineered the MagSafe connector (at least not on a commercial scale).

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It's a bit of metal with a hole/spring clip

that's not going to last 5 minutes before it gets copied :)

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Your both right. You will be able to buy Chinese gray market knockoffs on launch day. Also I bet Apple licenses it and we see official bands from companies like Ralph Lauren.

18. sixxmum, Oct 15, 2014

sixxmum thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

Thanks. Suggestions were what I was hoping for :)

As I said, Apple may be the choice because there are not a lot of other options.

While the sports or "regular" Apple watches are not ugly, I'm not sure they look stylish enough to wear with a suit for on a woman's wrist. I think the edition watches might be there, but the rumored costs are, in my mind, too high. It's not that I "can't afford" one, it's more that I'm not willing to spend more than $1000 on a smart watch that will likely be obsolete in a short period when there are other things that I could spend that money on.

If it turns out that the watches are updatable, then it will be a whole different ballgame.

The Pebble Steel is attractive, but it's too big for my wrist size (I'm not tiny tiny, but at 5'6" and about 120 lbs, I don't have big wrists) and looks a bit off with women's dress clothes.

Perhaps it's just too much of a challenge right now to make an attractive smart watch in the smaller size for most creators.

19. maria315 macrumors newbie

I heard it has Bluetooth capability. I wonder if it can be paired with a speaker of some sort.

================================================
    Bluetooth speaker sale : Get 40% off by using this code (LDSVC3UA)

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Not at all.

It really depends on two big things.

1: What type of screen do you want on the device.
    2: What do you want the device to do.

If those are flexible requirements you can do a lot.

Apple's problem is they are basically trying to put a whole iPod Touch on your wrist that needs an iPhone to help it along.

As yet we've no idea if this is the wrong approach and people simply don't want all of this on a watch.

Trying the homer Simpson of cramming everything into 1 tiny device.

21. nando87 macrumors 6502a

It's not obligatory to buy one. If you don't have enough money, there is nothing you can't do because you don't have one. Who said everybody can afford everything? Is this communism or what?

22. leenak macrumors 68020

Yes communism, that is the plan.

Obviously you didn't read the thread. Also, just because someone doesn't want to pay a certain amount of money for something doesn't mean they can't afford it. I personally would be very, very wary about spending $1000 on a watch myself and I wouldn't want to spend any money on a non-sport watch, even if I got one for free, I still wouldn't wear a watch without sport-like capabilities, I'd give it away. People value things differently and that is ok.

23. DesignG macrumors member

DesignG

In my opinion any Apple Watch is elegant, even the sport watch. You can spend only $250-$450 and you get a elegant one.

24. sixxmum thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

It's definitely a matter of definition. As I said, I'm thinking about something that would look good with women's business wear (so, often suits with skirts and pumps). While the Apple sport looks like it will be a nice looking sport watch, I don't think it's the kind of attractive that I could wear with my suits.

But, my initial point was that I may end up getting the apple watch (probably not the Edition, if it's the prices people think) because I can't seem to find another one that is not too bulky and still has decent capabilities and reviews.

25. firewood macrumors 604

The Pebble Steel looks cheaper and uglier than the plastic version (I have and use one of the latter with my iPhone).