I really like the size of the Kindle Fire

Discussion in 'iPad' started by drober30, Nov 18, 2011.

1. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I really like the 7" screen. I think it offers plenty of screen to read, web surf, watch videos and game!

I think it's perfect for mobility.

I wish the iPad 3 would come in this screen size as an option as I know not everybody would want the smaller screen.

2. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

At first I was cool with the fire because of its price, but after lengthy time with it, I must say all around, it just plain sucks. I hate the screen size because the fluidness of the scrolling, swiping, and pinch zoom is horrible. It constantly stutters. If you are going to have a small screen u MUST have a fluid interface. I won't complain about the screen sucking because I mean, it is a 200 dollar device. But the lack of hardware buttons(home and volume) really is irritating. 10,000 apps vs Androids complete library.....SMH.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't consider it any more portable than the iPad, but I agree that a smaller one would be nice as an option.

4. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

There's not much extra portability in the iPad 2 compare to the 11" Air … so it's alway difficult figuring out which to take.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Those are similar in size. Its more a case of which is more portable, the 11" Air or the 15" MBP?

6. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

But that's what my dilemma shows. If I have an 11" Air, I would like a 7.85" iPad to compliment it and not compete with it.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think we're talking about the same thing.

Where does the 7.85 number come from? I would think the desire is for a 7" iPad not an 8" one. Otherwise there isn't enough of an increase in portability.

8. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I think it comes out that way because iPad's aspect ratio. Also, rumors had Apple testing 7.85" displays recently.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

I'll admit that this is an unfair comparison because I've spent 18 months with iPads and only a couple of hours with the Kindle Fire, but I don't get the 7" format. It's definitely not pocketable (it's a dense sucker, weighs as much as 3 iPhones and it needs a eally big pocket) and the size isn't distinguishable enough from a smartphone. Obviously lots of people enjoy the size but I just couldn't see using that over a 10" iPad.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Weight and one handed handling. I have a Tab 8.9 and prefer it over my iPad 2 (form factor wise).

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

Gotta say the weight thing puzzles me. I don't find the iPad to be too heavy. And the Kindle is almost 15 ounces, roughly 3/4 the weight of the iPad. Maybe I'm unusual bu there's rarely a time when I have to handle my iPad with one hand for an extended period. There are apparently a lot of people out there who have a need for a one-handed device.

12. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

You're frackin right there is a need for a one handed device. My kitty needs one.

[​IMG]

13. shaun319 macrumors member

I think Apple will eventually come out with a smaller iPad screen. Can't wait. I think the Kindle Fire is the perfect size for my use (mainly consumption).

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

ROFL! Is that picture for real? That is the cutest cast I've ever seen!

----------

Try using it in bed of more than 30 minutes. It gets heavier as time drags on. My Tab is my new nighttime email/browsing device.

15. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Apple needs to jump on the 7 inch tablet program very soon.They are loosing a large customer base.

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I use my iPad in bed all the time. Usually while I'm on my side, with it supported between my left hand and the mattress. This way hardly any weight is put on said hand.

17. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

No Apple needs to make the 4" iPhone before even thinking about a 7" tablet! Well, IMO anyway. :D

I don't know if Tim Cook will go that route, especially after the firm stance Jobs took against it, and quite frrankly, I don't think the 7" form factor lends itself to a great experience. Let the low end tablet market get saturated with The Fire's, Nook's and Tab's. Those companies really don't care too much if the consumer eperience is great, so long as it is good enough. This is not Apple's mantra.

----------

nah, i don't have a kitten. Found that pic on the interwebs. It was just too funny to pass up on this particular thread.

18. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Is this a quote from Mr. Rolls when he was asked about Henry Ford's Model T?

19. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I think Mr. Daimler would be more accurate.

20. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Perhaps. But Mr. Daimler invented the automobile. Apple didn't invent the tablet. Mr. Rolls, on the other hand, took an existing model (developed by Royce) and developed it into a luxury brand. I'd say Rolls is a better analogy.

Of course, neither Daimler nor Rolls had nearly as significant impact on either automobiles or the 20th century as Ford.

21. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Has anyone seen the samsung galaxy player 5.A big screen mp3 player in a totally portable device.Yes i know its an android but its a very usable item.

22. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Well, since Sculley coined the term PDA with the Newton, one of the first true tablets, that's debatable. Or we could say Gene Roddenberry invented the tablet and the cell phone with his Star Trek props. :D

Regardless, the original Ford business model can be equated to Apple or vice versa. Ford always said, "you can have a Model T in any color, as long as it was black." Apple also limits many of their models to a single form factor and color.

23. urkel macrumors 68030

The key word is "option". I really dont understand why so many people out here are so against 7" screens, but if their only reason is "Steve Jobs said so" then I feel bad for them because exploring multiple screen sizes (both smaller and bigger) will only make the product more diverse.

I just bought a Kindle Fire primarily for its size, but IF Apple offered a 7" then I'd gladly pay $400 for it because I prefer the iOS platform.

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, I can hold my Tab in the air for over an hour period without getting tired. Different strokes for different folks. Which is why options are good. I find the Tab easier to hold, manage and use. This is the 8.9 mind you, not the 10.1. Samsung has those, plus a 7.7, a 7, a 5, and their phones are 4+. I like being able to pick a size that is right for me, not what some Apple engineer or executive decided was optimal at a given point. And for general browsing and email, the whole Apple ecosystem is a bit pointless. This will hold me over until Apple decides its time to grace us with a iPad mini.

25. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Honestly I don't think an iPad mini is ever going to happen. If just for one simple reason: iOS apps tend to be designed for very specific screen dimensions and resolutions. iOS not flexible with UI elements like Android. Putting current iPad apps on a screen half the size could render them almost if not entirely unusable.