i refuse to look. so answer my question or i shall be very cross with you

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gin&tonicorelse, Feb 29, 2008.

1. gin&tonicorelse macrumors newbie

gin&tonicorelse

i'm a very new member to this website (5 min ago in fact), but i need the help of the more experienced mac users on this page to help me out with a little question of mine.

i have always been a pc user, but now intend to switch to a macbook pro, however, i am totally unwilling to spend $400 for 4 gig of ram. it seems utterly ridiculous. i went to newegg.com and saw that they sell 4 gigs of memory for around a $100 and then have the courtesy to give a $30 rebate along with it. my question is this (really several questions) where should i buy my new memory? would someone at the apple store install it for me? which piece of equipment do you suggest i purchase?

2. davidec macrumors regular

Welcome to MR. There are hundreds of threads to search which would have answered your questions.

Memory is dead easy to install. It's also up to 300% cheaper from various vendors around the globe. Crucial, OWC & Newegg appear to be the most popular with hundreds of MR peeps happy with their 3rd party ram.

Now go and spend some time around these parts looking for answers to your next questions

3. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

buy the newegg..
    make sure it's compatible with your MBP
    you can actually do it yourself..
    there's a lot of YOUtube videos that can guide you..

do you really need all that RAM inthe first place?

4. gin&tonicorelse thread starter macrumors newbie

gin&tonicorelse

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Go OWC - they're Mac-centric and very professional, courteous, and high quality products under their own brand name.

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

I think I have said this a thousand times... All SR notebooks from Apple use the SAME memory as SR notebooks from Dell, Alienware, Toshiba, Sony, Lenovo, etc, etc, etc. The current memory spec for Santa Rosa (both Merom and Penryn CPU's use the same) is 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

Take your pick, my advice is to just stay away from modules with heat spreaders on them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1309121116+1309221136&name=DDR2+667+(PC2+5300)

7. tokiidokii macrumors regular

yes newegg is the best place to buy your ram. and yea you REALLY need all that ram. your computer will love you and you will love it back even more. i mean 2gb is sufficient but trust me you will feel and see the difference with more ram (just one example: minimizing window, with 2gb i noticed it's jerkyness but with 4gb the animation is alot smoother).

oh and yea i work alot with adobe programs and you DEFINITELY need more ram for that. i wish i could get more than 4gb but oh wells.

edit:
    oh by 'sufficient' i mean if you really can't afford more ram then stick with it for now and save money to buy it later :p

8. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

go buy your RAM.. supply is limited since almost all NEW MBP owners are buying.:)

9. xjames macrumors regular

i bought from OWC, received it very quickly. Ho huss, no fuss.
    Still waiting for the mbp to arrive, so it's still untested, but OWC was very highly spoken of...

10. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

OWC ROCKS! Not to mention, they are long-time Mac people, too. I can remember buying PowerMacs from them, back in the day.....

MacDann