I replaced the LCD panel and now my MBP won't go to sleep mode when I close the lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nouveaunano, Aug 13, 2009.

1. nouveaunano macrumors newbie

My MBP is a late 2007 model, I cracked the screen and decided to replace it by myself, it's quite easy, everything went smooth (at least I think so).

But now I realize that it no longer goes to sleep mode when I close the lid. I have checked and make sure that I put back all the connections the way they were but the problem is still there.

So does anyone know what cause the problem and is there any bad side effect, or I can just live it like that?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Sounds like a sensor has been left out. Walk back trough the procedure and double check that you didn't leave any sensors disconnected or loose. It is possible that something is upside down or something.

3. kybernaut macrumors newbie

There are two components involved to initiate sleep mode after closing the lid. One is the sleep magnet which is mounted in the left frame of the lid (in the height of the apple logo). The second is the sleep sensor, which is the corespondant part being located in the main body...

I recalled this description from my white Macbook Core Duo, but it should apply (more or less) the same to the MBP.

So the two problems to look for: The magnet (it could have fallen out or attached in the wrong place). The sensor (according to apple service manual is NOT to be touched directly by hand because it can break then).

Maybe just get a Apple service manual for your particular device...

Good luck,

kybernaut

4. pedroconejo macrumors newbie

As Tommi80 said, that thread may help you. My guess is that you forgot to put the sleep magnet back in when you replaced the display - happens all the time by service tech pros too. It's located on the left-hand side of the display, about 2" down - tiny little 1/2"x1/8" magnet usually held in with tape.

If that is not the case, and the magnet is in place... my assumption is that the reed switch or sleep sensor became damaged during replacement. That would be a bummer, but probably not a huge problem... I think.

The only problems I can come up with is that the magnet/reed switch controls sleep but also dimmer mode. Without these, the computer will not autodim or autosleep and there will be no automatic energy-saving options. The alternative to this is that instead of closing the lid to put it to sleep, you can just do that from the finder and all will be well. If the screen is left on all the time... well the long-term affect will be shortened screen life - burned-out pixels, hotspots, uneven brightness, etc.

Beyond that, I think you're fine.

5. nouveaunano thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank everyone for your quick responds.

I think I did touch the sensor and break it, lol ( the magnet doesn't put it to sleep).

My question now is: Do I really need to replace the sensor? Because I think I'm quite OK with my MBP not going to sleep but is there any side effect to that (beside the shorter battery life)?

P.s: somehow the autodim still works (I tested it by put my hands over the speaker areal on both sides and the screen got dimmer)

6. pedroconejo macrumors newbie

Nah, you're fine. Given your description, I think it really is just the sleep sensor that's mucked up. Just leave it alone and put it to sleep manually when needed. Other than battery and screen life, I can't imagine any other problems resulting from it.

7. weckart macrumors 68040

Have you tried putting it to sleep via the menu? Should still work.