I returned Iphone 3g after buying in September, and now I'm having the itch again...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Roram7, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Roram7 macrumors newbie

I'm a power blackberry user for work. I've been a mac user for 4 years now. My work pays for my blackberry. I played with iphone 3g all weekend and I can totally see myself using it all the time as i travel and always want to surf the internet/listen to music/watch moveis while kililng time.

I bought Iphone3g before the 2.0 software release and I was very unhappy with service in NYC so i returned it before 30 days because i didn't want to be stuck with bad device. Now I understand its better and after playing with a friends all weekend in bumblef*ck new york where ther ewas surprisingly great service, i feel as though i need one right now!!!

I have the effin itch!

My dilemma? currently a VZW subscriber so i don't know if i want to switch (or if i should keep both devices. - soon iphone will be compatible with bloomberg software (not the app - that's nothigngcompared to what the real software is) which is my work software.

Price decreases? rumor of a CDMA iphone? rumors of a newer hardware revision? i see according to the buyers guide that it says to wait for hardware revision since we're passed the normal average product upgrade cycle length.

Should I go for it, or wait? I know that when i bought my macbook last january i had read about upgrades coming - they didn't come for a while but in hindsight the wait would've been worth it. ....

If i get an iphone 3g...and say in 6 months they come out with a new iphone.....under verizons ruling, i'd have to pay for a new full retail phone if i wanted the new one........since this is partly apple and partly at&t i'd be dealing with....could i just buy the new iphone for the regular cost???

I make good money so i'd be willing to shell out now and then shell out a standard cost later...but if we're talking like a 500 price tag no thanks.

what was the situation when people upgraded from the old iphone to 3g? did they cut deals or *** everyone over????

I want this toy now....and i really can't wait much longer....i dream of using it on a daily basis....i'm beginning to think i need this device.

I love blackberyy for what it does...but lets face it...the storm (which i bought and returned) just isn't an iphone killer......and well, mac is mac...mac is the bomb and i love my mackbook to death and want a companion for it.

So. if you're reading this an you're experiecned with iphones and all this, please direct me a bit.

Also, I hear about pricing options, ways to get your plan chepaer. that was something that really ticked me off before when i signed up for At&t....20 dollars for unlimited text????? 10 dollars for just a limited amoutn????? How do i save money?????

tahnks to whoever reads this and helps.

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Another topic that deserves it's own forum next to the Nano. :rolleyes:

You're going to get the same responses every other one of the billion that have been posted received. "If you want it now, but it now. If you want to wait for a hardware upgrade, you'll be waiting forever because progression is nonstop" or something along that line.

My personal favorite: Why ask strangers? Who cares what we think?

3. Roram7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay - I see your point for sure.

so I want it now!!! (i understand the upgrade thing - hence my anectdote about my last macbook) that's technology right!

if i get it now and a new one comes out, what would my options be then?

and how do i save money with at&t plans?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Live with it unless you bought it in the last 14 days, then you could return it, paying 10% of the purchase price to Apple to do so.

5. Roram7 thread starter macrumors newbie

what would it cost to upgrade to the newer version?

6. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

No one knows about that one yet, there's not even a newer version than the iPhone 3G.

7. Roram7 thread starter macrumors newbie

what has happened in past. how much was it to upgrade to 3g if you had the original? I'm with verizon and you're always stuck to high upgrade charges, but i thought maybe its different since this is an apple device. kind of like, hey if i want a new ipod then i'll pay 300 for a new one, not bad. is that how it is with iphone ???

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

It was $200 less, for more info visit this site.

9. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Diifference from the upgrade to the 3G was that the original wasn't subsidised, which meant users could upgrade for free.

This time around the 3G was subsidized... so we have no idea what the future will hold.

Okay? :)

10. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Your post is so rude I don't even want to help you out.

With that aside you say you don't have to worry about money but go on to say you want to save money blah blah blah. You sound like an 18 year old.

Anyway; the iPhone is a great phone if you can justify the premium. It's not the only phone that does email etc but it is, in my opinion the best implemented - and I've also owned a blackberry and loved it in the past.

So yeh, go for it. Please don't write posts as though you're high though - it's really annoying to read.

11. Roram7 thread starter macrumors newbie

missing my point

Let's say I have the original iphone....i want the new one....can i go into the store and simply get the new one for 300 (16gb)?

To clarify: when i'm with verizon, I'm limited to only getting the 2 year contract price if i upgrade on a yearly basis....

with at&t iphone, could i just go in and upgrade to the new version without paying a huge premium???

12. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Read the FAQS. It seems you never even bothered to take a look at it.

13. Roram7 thread starter macrumors newbie

My apologies to those offended and for the brashness of my post.

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

How did you get the iPhone 3G before the 2.0 release? The iPhone 3G CAME with 2.0 pre-installed. It can't run any firmware lower than 2.0.

15. Roram7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it with the original software - 2.0 i guess. so before 2.2 then, or whatever other software has come out.

16. davidlw macrumors 6502a

If you are on VZ the Pre will be out in a few months. Take a look at it.

17. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

Here's the resolution for your dilemma. But iPhone 3G and throw it away. Cry and run 3 miles east. Talk to the girl name Mary. Ask her for ice cream. And story goes on...

18. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

2.1 I'm assuming...

2.0 was extremely buggy.

19. jason72780 macrumors regular

Wow. I don't even know where to start with this whole thread. For one of your questions, it is doubtful you'll be able to get the next iPhone for the new contract subsidized price if your still in a contract. It's the same as it is for verizon. Someone replied about the pre. It is on sprint, not verizon, so that's no help. That's all I can help with for now because I honestly get lost reading the op's posts.

20. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

It's on Sprint