Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Recently, when I click 'sleep' or hold play on my Apple Remote, my Macbook has been going into the deep sleep mode instead of just 'sleeping'.

Is there any reason for this, or any way to disable it?

I use it closed with a VGA video adapter to my external display, not sure if this has anything to do with it. I think it's been happening since I installed a wireless Mighty Mouse, which I bought because my old USB Microsoft IntelliMouse kept waking up my Macbook after I'd put it to sleep... I just can't catch a break! :D

Arne

macrumors regular
May 14, 2006
Germany
I use it closed with a VGA video adapter to my external display, not sure if this has anything to do with it. I think it's been happening since I installed a wireless Mighty Mouse, which I bought because my old USB Microsoft IntelliMouse kept waking up my Macbook after I'd put it to sleep... I just can't catch a break! :D

I put my MB into sleep with an VGA-Adapter attached and I also have a wireless MM, but my MacBook always goes to normal sleep, so I think that is not causing the deep-sleep.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
The default behaviour for Macs these days is it goes into a hybrid sleep/deep sleep mode. It not only copies the contents of RAM to HD but it also keeps the contents of RAM there, drawing some power to maintain it. This ensures that in the event of a complete power drain, at least you can start where you left off. There are some programs to force the computer to one or the other sleep modes.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Hahah don't, I'm tired as it is!

Right, will try and locate one of these programs which tells my MB which kind of nap to take. I remember using 'insomniaX'? But that just keeps it from sleeping, right? So which program tells it to sleep but not too deep?!

jczubach

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
northwest
Hahah don't, I'm tired as it is!

Right, will try and locate one of these programs which tells my MB which kind of nap to take. I remember using 'insomniaX'? But that just keeps it from sleeping, right? So which program tells it to sleep but not too deep?!

methinks that program gives you options, but then again i could be wrong, which is not unusual...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you want to make sure that you're in the MBP/MB's default sleep mode, open up the TERMINAL and type this:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

This saves everything that was running (ie: all open windows, their position, the song you were playing in iTunes, open web pages, open MS Word documents, etc) in RAM and your harddisk while your laptop is sleeping.

Funny enough, this is quite new, and isn't the way it worked for PowerBooks (except the last generation of 15" and 17" PowerBooks, I believe). I hate the default MB setting, so I have my laptop set up to store all running apps and content into RAM, but not my harddisk. My computer falls asleep MUCH faster than default because my MB doesn't store everything into the HDD, and wakes up faster with less glitches because of this.

To set your laptop up to do this, go into TERMINAL and paste this: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
If you want to make sure that you're in the MBP/MB's default sleep mode, open up the TERMINAL and type this:

This saves everything that was running (ie: all open windows, their position, the song you were playing in iTunes, open web pages, open MS Word documents, etc) in RAM and your harddisk while your laptop is sleeping.

Funny enough, this is quite new, and isn't the way it worked for PowerBooks (except the last generation of 15" and 17" PowerBooks, I believe). I hate the default MB setting, so I have my laptop set up to store all running apps and content into RAM, but not my harddisk. My computer falls asleep MUCH faster than default because my MB doesn't store everything into the HDD, and wakes up faster with less glitches because of this.

To set your laptop up to do this, go into TERMINAL and paste this: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
Is this only for laptops or for others as well? I notice that my wife's iMac seems to take a very long time to wake from sleep, and she gets very frustrated with it at times.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK

Ok, now I'm a tad confused. A little while after posting this initial message, I found a link to that 'sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0' hack. I think I executed that code, but then (and now with InsomniaX running too) my MB just seems to 'shut down' when I sleep it...

So let me get this straight... if I do 'sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3', my MB SHOULD sleep the way it did when I first got it, i.e. just open the lid/move the mouse and it's back, but if I do 'sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0' then it'll suspend to RAM, meaning it'll wake with one of those little progress bars? Which do you guys think is better? If the 'sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0' technique is faster at sleeping/waking, why would anybody want to use anything else?

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
UPDATE:

Okay, think I might know why I'm so confused... as far as I can tell, and probably likely from something *I'VE* done by accident, both 'sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0' and 'sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3' have the same effect on my MB. Well, kind of... Let me explain using the MB's little power light as reference.

With hibernatemode 0, the suspend-to-RAM type, the MB seems to 'deep sleep' with the power light completely off, and wakes with the greyed-out desktop and the progress bar. Pretty fast wakeup time.

With the hibernatemode 3 method, there's no progress bar when waking and load time is still quite fast, but whereas in this method you'd expect it to 'sleep' rather than deep sleep, with the power light 'slowly flashing', the power light is once again completely off.

Confused? I am! Basically, looks like I've somehow activated the safe sleep function or otherwise just deactivated the 'normal default sleep' function. Could it be InsomniaX? I miss my little slow flashing power LED! It used to soothe me to sleep.... :'(

rsande

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
This is an old thread, but it came up when I was looking for some hibernatemode information, so I thought I'd help others in search of the same thing.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode X

Where X is:
0 : NO hibernate - does not write RAM to disk and power off EVER
1 : QUICK hibernate - writes RAM to disk and powers off IMMEDIATELY
2 : LAST RESORT hibernate - keeps power to RAM until battery is low, then writes to disk as a last resort to save your data
3 : HYBRID hibernate - writes RAM to disk right away, then leaves RAM powered until battery is low

The "-a" in the pmset command means it will apply this setting to ALL power profiles. If you want to do it for battery only, use the "-b" option. Charger (wall power) only, use "-c". Or UPS is "-u".

Just a note about #3: If you put your computer to sleep, it will start writing the RAM to disk. If you try to wake it up while doing that, it won't respond. Wait a minute, or until the power light starts blinking on the front of your laptop. Once it blinks, you can press the power button or open the lid to wake it back up.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Hi there, thanks for replying to this age-old thread! :)

I tried putting my machine into 'quick' hibernate mode (mode '1') but it still took about 20 seconds from shutting my Macbook to actually sleeping. I don't mind how long it takes, I'm just worried that in shutting my macbook, expecting it to sleep relatively quickly and haphazardly tossing it into my bag for work, I might damage the hard drive or similar components while it's not quite suspended.......

Also, I'm not really sure about the advantages and disadvantages of each of the modes you described (perhaps if you know you could go into a little more detail on each?). I always figured the best mode (and the only one most people would want to use) would be whichever mode allowed a user to go from working at their desk to slinging their Macbook into their bag in the shortest (but safest) amount of time? I don't know, perhaps as a Nintendo DS user I just take for granted the ability to quickly shut and suspend my device :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I like my hybrid sleep. Lets me swap batteries and keep going without shutting down. Plus it wakes up instantly anyways, so it doesn't matter in response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.