I salute the poor working the system

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

There are leeches on both end of the spectrum but if I had to side with one I’m going to go with the poor. Assuming they are truly working it they’re also just taking advantage of their version of what makes this country great. Good for them. The middle is probably where people are the most miserable struggling to not slide any further down.

If I were to get back the percentage of my taxes that go towards supporting the poor my lifestyle would change by a factor of zero. Meanwhile the cost of living in the Silicon Valley is suffocating. Who should I blame that on, the poor or the rich? You have to blame one or the other for everything.

2. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

You should blame the Federal Reserve for both. Their QE and ZIRP policy makes the rich richer, the poor poorer, and destroys the middle in the process.

3. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

While that may be true we need to either be mad at people who live in hotel sized estates or unemployed people with Playstations.

4. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

This brings up a sad thought. When I was growing up there would be a tree with kids names on a card where they would ask for a Christmas gift. They would typically ask for a new pair of shoes, a jacket, or at most a doll. Now when you look at these cards you see kids asking for a Playstation with games, a bike, a TV for their bedroom.

How times have changed.

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

No, does not.

No matter what the FR or Congress does, powerful people will always be able to take advantage of it.

Gradually raising the minimum wage will benefit everyone the best, but the rich will still benefit in long run.

6. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

You are still walking by the same tree every year? I don't believe that.

7. Dmunjal, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Currently, less the 4% of the population makes a minimum wage. You're solution doesn't help the other 96%.

Here's a better way that helps everyone. End the last 8 years of QE and ZIRP. Trump is right on this one.

The problem is the not the nominal wage but the real wage. If we increase the nominal wage while increasing the cost of living even faster, then people still fall behind.

The Fed's purpose with QE and ZIRP is to increase inflation. Unfortunately, most of the new money went to the rich and well connected so they drove up asset values like stocks, real estate, and commodities. The rich got richer BECAUSE of this policy.

Driving up the cost of real estate raises rents on the middle class and lower class who don't own a home. Driving up commodities drives up the cost of food and energy for the middle and lower class.

In addition, ZIRP means that middle class savers and retirees cannot get any interest in their savings.

After eight years of this policy, the results are plain to see.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/barack-obama-successfully-rich-richer/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lynn-parramore/how-the-fed-is-making-the_b_7079636.html

http://reason.com/archives/2012/09/13/occupy-the-fed
    [​IMG]

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I blame the bankers.

Seriously, though, blaming people in a society with the least power - the poor - makes no sense whatsoever.

9. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

You're getting close. Bankers benefit the most but who enables them? The Federal Reserve Bank. Which is wholly owned by the private big banks.

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

But never ever blame the hotel size estate makers and their marketers to lure, or blame the video game makers knowing what they do is aimed squarely at those to be able to manipulate the parents. No, the supply side should be able to do whatever it wants because it is always someone else's fault. Remember, when we spend we do so too much (despite cost) and when we save too much then the media says our saving is endangering the entire economy too... the narcissism is so warped that the demand side is blamed for every turn and more people know it.

Even the desire to make everything wireless, show us responsible batter recycling and replaceable commodity batteries instead of one-piece throwaway anti-environmental garbage like the stuff Apple is all too quick to make and say how we need it*... no real environmentalist would approve of this gutting for such short term gain. Nobody aged 50 or under, anyway...

* so just wait as to how Apple's customers and/or everyone else will be shamed into blame if the headjack gambit fails, and it will since there is nothing wrong with the jack and despite the claim of "valuable space" anyone looking at a circuit board AND how the next processors' generation will take up less space AND be faster... at least they didn't mention increasing fragility of the external cables or how lamely wireless-anything is made (can't imagine why, ka-ching...) But the nonsense-flinging marketers can stop trying to pull wool over our heads.

11. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Research proves raising MW does help, but I did not say it should be the only tool.

MW impacts a number of factors, including more purchasing, which cause more product moment, more sales.
    Such an action will eventually cause an increase in inflation, and that in turn will more support the action you want.

Besides that there is always some inflation so every month the purchasing power of the $ is reduced, so by nature by not raising the minimum promotes recessionary forces.

But yes, get ride of QZ and other things, but predictably raise MW also.

12. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Another issue is even some small business owners are trying to emulate their big corporation counterparts in making substantially more money than the people they employ. I know several. They’ll gladly take on more business while not growing their workforce to handle the business growth and they start seeing their overworked employees as the enemy while having an “I can pay somebody else less to do your job” attitude. Bull$hit scales in all directions.

Another fine example of how hard work doesn’t get you anywhere for the average worker. Poor people living off the system don’t have to deal with this soul crushing aggravation.

13. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You should probably be realistic and blame the law of supply and demand.

14. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

To be even more realistic I’d blame the great geography and weather. Otherwise Silicon Valley could have just as easily sprung up in North Dakota and that wouldn’t be my problem.

15. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Core of Supply and Demand.

Excellent stable weather (not freezing spells like ND) in limited supply.

16. 5684697 Suspended

Blame government.

There is an great article referencing local governments approving massive expansion in the valley without commensurate expansion in residential housing and supporting infrastructure. They skew the supply of places to live and leave it dwarfed by demand.

17. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I don't know about that. I'm constantly seeing memories from my childhood being demolished to erect yet another condo with retail space monstrosity and I guarantee once complete the word "affordable" won't be anywhere on the vacancy advertisements.

18. 5684697, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

5684697 Suspended

It's called progress and has cleaned up a lot of crumbling neighborhoods and towns. Your mindset is why the city councils haven't approved more housing. That being the case, the HQ buildings should be located elsewhere. Not Apple, no way. Tim and the boys can afford the close in housing and don't want to move.

And yes, I know moving the HQ would be disruptive to everyone. The counties have "allowed" (isn't gummint wonderful?) more condos and complexes to be built, but it isn't remotely enough to swallow the additional employees. The article stated that an hour and a half drive was required to live in affordable homes.

Perhaps this is why the Titan self driving car project was born?