I scored a great deal on the MacBook Air today!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ministerman, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ministerman macrumors newbie

I just had to share. I went into our local MacAuthority here in Nashville today to get a gift for my wife. I was either going to get the base 11" Air or the base 13" Pro, which is what I use at home and at the office.

I had never really played with the 11", and I was pleasantly surprised with how great it was. The only thing I was concerned about was the memory and hard drive. If I was going to spend $1199, I was going to get the Pro, so I was not going to upgrade the base 11".

After talking with the salesman, he convinced me she would like the 11" base Air better. I told him to go get it, and waited. He came back upstairs, and had a look like that I didn't like. He said they were out but started looking for an open box.

The manager found an open box 11", but it was the maxed version. It had been used in store, never owned by anyone. They sold it to me for $1099! I was able to get what I wanted, and then some, for a lot less! I hope she likes it!

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Great deal! that was like 30% off now.
    If she does not like you could sell that on ebay for a profit..
    Check the warranty coverage though :)
    congrats..

3. Akack macrumors 6502a

4. molala macrumors 6502a

Great buy! I hope she loves it. If she's a Mac user already, don't see how she couldn't.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Great story and a lovely present for your wife. Well done.

6. ministerman thread starter macrumors newbie

She's not a Mac user, but she's an iPhone user. She's been using a 4 year old Gateway netbook. Anything is an improvement, right?

I'll just say this - I've been a Pro user for a while now, and while I'm setting this 11" Air up for her, I'm thoroughly impressed. It is quite fast, and seemingly "zippier" than my Pro!

Never be afraid to ask for an Open Box! When I walked in, I asked if they had any open box or refurbed specials. This was not brought up then, but when I went to buy it, and they didn't have what I wanted, it came up! Never know what they have laying around these stores!

7. thuglove macrumors member

Maxed version as in 4gb/128gb or 4gb/256gb? If it's the latter, then that's a helluva deal.

8. ministerman thread starter macrumors newbie

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Coming from Windows to OSX can be frustrating. They're alike but different at the same time. My wife is frustrated with Finder but love Auto Save and Resume. Great deal btw.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

i7? That's a decent deal, given that it normally goes for $1349. I have the 11" i7/256Gb, and it's a great machine. If you don't need the extra 128GB, it should serve you well for quite a while. Nice job. :)

11. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

this is an awesome deal, I'm jealous! nice find!

12. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Are those BTO and only from Apple online and not available in retail?

I think the max you can go in store is 4GB and 128 for the 11".

13. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

Compared to any netbook, she is going to be on cloud nine with this machine. I moved to an Air from my 2008 maxed out Pro and the Air blew it away. Netbooks were never good machines.

14. KPOM macrumors G5

I purchased the i7/256GB model at one of the NYC stores. Most of the big city stores stock the "ultimate" models. The i7/128GB might be available only through order, though.

15. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625