I seem to be getting a lot of pop ups on Safari for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nerdy Keith, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Nerdy Keith macrumors member

Nerdy Keith

I am using the latest version of Safari 8.02 and the latest OS X system OS X Yosemite (10.10.1). I've only noticed this, this past week. Its very annoying. I even have installed a ad block extension and its not blocking a lot of ads and popups

Thanks in advance if you are able to help me guys :)

2. tratclif macrumors newbie

First, go to Safari -> Preferences -> Extensions. Is anything installed? And if so do you remember installing them? if not remove the extensions.

Next, from the Finder menu click Go -> Go to Folder. Enter /Library/LaunchAgents .

What's in that folder? I've seen "vsearch" adware a lot recently.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Check for new extensions like TC mentioned.

Also, you might try running this adware removal app to see what it finds. You might have accidentally installed adware along with an app and it can cause this.

4. lankytom macrumors newbie

Adware/spyware cleanup

There has been a recent surge in adware and spyware - usually attached to emails. Barracuda is supposed to be a firewall against that. Any good results? Also I've seen adware medic, clamxav, and adblock mentioned as adware cleaners. Any good results from any of those? My son used adaware on a PC, but they don't make that for macs.