iPhone 11 Pro I should have bought the 11 Pro in 512GB capacity. What can I do to get 512GB capacity

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
So I have the 256 11 Pro Max. I should have went with a 512GB. My X was a 512. I thought I would go with a smaller capacity and take advantage of iCloud, but as it turns out, I VASTLY like having my photos and music (which is the bulk of my storage needs) on my phone.

Now that I'm six months into my current plan, is there an option to turn in my phone for a 512GB model?

Reactions: Tsepz

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
Not sure which plan you're on, but your options are probably:

1. Sell your current phone, use the proceeds to buy a new 512GB phone (you can do that in whichever order you prefer).
  2. Wait until the new phones come out in ~September/October and trade in your existing phone in favor of a new 512GB device.
Or something along those lines.

Reactions: ruslan120

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Not sure which plan you're on, but your options are probably:

1. Sell your current phone, use the proceeds to buy a new 512GB phone (you can do that in whichever order you prefer).
  2. Wait until the new phones come out in ~September/October and trade in your existing phone in favor of a new 512GB device.
Or something along those lines.
Can I even sell my phone if I'm under the Apple annual upgrade program? I imagine I'd need to pay it off in full before hand.

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
Can I even sell my phone if I'm under the Apple annual upgrade program? I imagine I'd need to pay it off in full before hand.
My understanding is that you can do whatever you want with the phone, but you'll still be responsible for paying off what you owe. So, you could use the $$ you get from the sale of your phone to pay it down/off/etc, or just do double payments, or whatever.

Then again, I've never done this. support.apple.com might be a good way to go.

Reactions: ruslan120

sirghost

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
So I have the 256 11 Pro Max. I should have went with a 512GB. My X was a 512. I thought I would go with a smaller capacity and take advantage of iCloud, but as it turns out, I VASTLY like having my photos and music (which is the bulk of my storage needs) on my phone.

Now that I'm six months into my current plan, is there an option to turn in my phone for a 512GB model?
Pay off the payments that will get you to month 12, then go to Apple and do an “upgrade”.

Otherwise, pay the remaining 18 months on it, sell it, and get the new one.

Keep it, and buy a new 512GB One and pay on both.

The above would be your options.

BuggyGT

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2019
Brooklyn, NY
I am not sure how much storage of photos you have but another option is to maybe move the photos to your computer temporarily until the next iPhone comes out (because do you really need to have gigs of photos on the phone at all times?). Otherwise the only other options is already what the others have mentioned.

Remington Steel

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2016
My understanding is that you can do whatever you want with the phone, but you'll still be responsible for paying off what you owe. So, you could use the $$ you get from the sale of your phone to pay it down/off/etc, or just do double payments, or whatever.

Then again, I've never done this. support.apple.com might be a good way to go.
Would the new buyer be able to even use the phone if Apple says the original owner still "owns" it?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I mean why not just optimize photos ? It will save space and save you money until you can buy a new phone
Ya, that's going to have to be an option. I'm trying to avoid paying monthly to Apple for the rest of my life and opting in paying for more storage. I really need a 1 terabyte iPhone.

I have 180GB of photos, 40 gig of videos (which is going to grow vastly), and 360GB of music.

I can use "optimized storage" for photos and downsize my music to 128GB. I would use Apple Music, but that service needs work (it does weird things to my collection like changing artwork, splitting albums in two, and downloading things to my phone which I never download (but in my collection - it'll download 1-3 songs from an album for no reason). Plus, it's yet another fee I need to pay to Apple on top of the increased iCloud storage.

Sigh. I need a 1TB iPhone stat.

Reactions: Closingracer

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
Would the new buyer be able to even use the phone if Apple says the original owner still "owns" it?
Apple doesn't keep track of who 'owns it'. A financial agreement is struck at the time of purchase, and the person that goes into that agreement is responsible for fulfilling it, but Apple doesn't mandate who 'owns' the phone.

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Ya, that's going to have to be an option. I'm trying to avoid paying monthly to Apple for the rest of my life and opting in paying for more storage. I really need a 1 terabyte iPhone.

I have 180GB of photos, 40 gig of videos (which is going to grow vastly), and 360GB of music.

I can use "optimized storage" for photos and downsize my music to 128GB. I would use Apple Music, but that service needs work (it does weird things to my collection like changing artwork, splitting albums in two, and downloading things to my phone which I never download (but in my collection - it'll download 1-3 songs from an album for no reason). Plus, it's yet another fee I need to pay to Apple on top of the increased iCloud storage.

Sigh. I need a 1TB iPhone stat.
If you had optimized storage off, you can turn it on and iOS will free some space by deleting some photos and videos, but it won't delete everything you've downloaded. So there's a good bet most of your photos and videos will still be on your phone. In fact, I did that on my phone when I got it, I turned off optimized storage, let it download overnight, and then turned it on. I almost never see the loading from iCloud icon!

Remington Steel

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2016
Apple doesn't keep track of who 'owns it'. A financial agreement is struck at the time of purchase, and the person that goes into that agreement is responsible for fulfilling it, but Apple doesn't mandate who 'owns' the phone.
Oh..ok. I guess I always thought the "owner's" Apple ID was locked to that phone until it is "paid in full". We use the upgrade every year plan so that is just my way of thinking I guess.

DevinNj

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Not sure if swappa.com is an option where you're located, but you can try listing it there, they run the s/n and if it comes back tied to Apple, they won't publish the ad.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two

I'm the inverse. I store everything off my phone and stream my music (I've had Google Play Music since it was in beta). I could lose everything on my phone and it would be on my computer or a cloud service somewhere (I don't use iCloud, except for backups).

That said, I usually buy the largest capacity Apple offers whenever I get a new iPhone. I've never filled up more than a quarter of my total space.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I'm the inverse. I store everything off my phone and stream my music (I've had Google Play Music since it was in beta). I could lose everything on my phone and it would be on my computer or a cloud service somewhere (I don't use iCloud, except for backups).

That said, I usually buy the largest capacity Apple offers whenever I get a new iPhone. I've never filled up more than a quarter of my total space.
I'm going with a playlist that will sync a subset of my 350GB music library. I turned on Optimize Photos on my device so now I got some breathing room.

Even if I get the 512GB I still can't get everything on the phone. I'm looking into Google Photos (currently uploading) and forgoing iCloud Photo Library all together. Might use both. I think Google had an option to upload my music for free so I need to see if that still works.

Sigh. I really wish iPhone's could use MicroSD cards.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
I'm going with a playlist that will sync a subset of my 350GB music library. I turned on Optimize Photos on my device so now I got some breathing room.

Even if I get the 512GB I still can't get everything on the phone. I'm looking into Google Photos (currently uploading) and forgoing iCloud Photo Library all together. Might use both. I think Google had an option to upload my music for free so I need to see if that still works.

Sigh. I really wish iPhone's could use MicroSD cards.
Personally, I've just found it easier to dump my photos periodically from Dropbox into Adobe Lightroom. They stay on my Macs, get backed up and I can access them that way.

However, we probably have very different lifestyles. I'm near at least one computer 24/7. Most of the time there is one on my lap or in front of me. It's just easier to use a computer then it is to turn away and pick up my phone.

Sounds though like your phone is your main computer.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Personally, I've just found it easier to dump my photos periodically from Dropbox into Adobe Lightroom. They stay on my Macs, get backed up and I can access them that way.

However, we probably have very different lifestyles. I'm near at least one computer 24/7. Most of the time there is one on my lap or in front of me. It's just easier to use a computer then it is to turn away and pick up my phone.

Sounds though like your phone is your main computer.
A 16 MBP is my main computer. However, my iphone is on me 24/7

Reactions: eyoungren

Tsepz

macrumors 68040
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

You are worse than me, quite happy with my XS Max 256GB, however I know for a fact my next is 512GB as I want to do more 4K@60FPS video.

I would suggest selling your 256GB Pro Max and using the proceeds to pay up the plan and move to 512GB.