I should have thought about storage capacity...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by geneticfusion, Oct 12, 2012.

1. geneticfusion macrumors member

Welp, I've used my 16 gigs.

Music+Movies+Games, expecially games totaling up to 2.3gb...(I'm looking at you The World Ends With You.)

What would be the best way to get a 32 gig? I tried putting an iPhone in my cart to check inventory, but it disables it after a while until 10:00pm. I could always try RIGHT when the store opens....

Do you think stores would have stock come end of October? Or any way to check Apple's inventory?

And before you jump down my throat, I KNOW, I should've gotten the 32gb from the start..my mistake.

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

are you tiered data? or unlimited?
    if unlmited you can set up a ftp server at home.. stream all your music and movies. If music uses a lot of space, theres always spotify too. $9.99 a month. will be a litte more for 2 years of services vs upgrade to 32gb.. but I for one can not live without spottify. It really doesnt use too much data either you have the music bit rate set to normal. Hoe close do you get to using all your data?

3. blackbear219 macrumors regular

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

Yep, if you're unlimited then access your music from the cloud. This potential is one of the reasons I decided that 32GB was more than enough. I have a 64GB IP4S and always had 20+GB free.

5. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Do you absolutely need your movie collection to be on your phone?

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

same here on my 4. i went to 16gb on the 4s. wasnt really enough, but since then i got a 16gb ipad 3.. games on there.
    my iphone 5 16gb rarely gets past 10 gb

7. SonRK macrumors 6502

Same here...

I just posted this on the exchange topic so I'll paste it here with some added thoughts;

I bought my iPhone 5 16GB out of contract from Radio Shack (Verizon)

and ....and I realized that 16GB is not enough. I have been calling them every day and they said new shipments haven't arrived / people with pre-orders still need theirs filled out, etc.

I asked if I could do an exchange at an Apple Store and pay difference (since it's retail and stuff, but then I remembered that they dont sell Out of Contract until after a few weeks) so that obviously didn't work

It's getting closer and closer to my 30 day deadline to exchange/return. I GUESS I COULD just return the phone and go wait patiently until a 32GB black out of contract comes in...

All these games for $1, and educational apps that take up 500+ MB really drained me down to 3GB left! That's so sick....and like I said it's been pretty futile in trying to do an exchange. I literally should just return it, go back to my Galaxy Nexus for a few days / weeks and then re-pick it up

8. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

I know that what I am about to say is kind of a drag. But if you aren't willing ot live without an iPhone 5 until a 32 GB comes on the market it works. Just keep only the apps you use day to day on your phone. Delete everything else. Whenever you need another app just download it, use it and get rid of it afterwards.

9. chocoyo00 macrumors regular

Why not just reserve online a phone for next day pick up? It's fairly easy to get one nowadays.

10. SonRK macrumors 6502

The issue is; Do they allow it out of contract yet?

11. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

Sign up for Google Music and dump all your music up there. This should free up some space as you would only have the ones you really listen to locally. Since maps has navigation you don't need any other gps apps so those 2 solutions right there should free up quite a bit of space.

12. lumpsuckers macrumors newbie

I started using spotify on my 4s when space started getting tight. Learned my lesson and just ordered the 32gb iphone 5.

13. chocoyo00 macrumors regular

Why not just reserve online a phone for next day pick up? It's fairly easy to get one nowadays.

14. Mac-Maine macrumors member

This

DL an app called GoMusic

Its the ONLY google music app out where your log in info isnt going thru a 3rd party, it goes straight to google

and its FREE

i have a 16gb iphone with over 30gb of music on it

15. socbrian macrumors regular

What app or how do you view your movies that are on an FTP server? How fast could you seek on 3G ? is it painfully slow?

16. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

17. dnelms macrumors regular

dnelms

Look into Plex.

18. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i use the app called "downloads" and just download them in it. It has a built in palyer. or plex
    if you have att.. youll be just fine.

for streaming

http://blog.dreamcss.com/iphone/dlna-streaming-apps-for-iphone/
    not sure if these are just for local area.. or FTP.

im fairly certain you can just open the FTP in safari.. click the movie and it will open in the video player and start to buffer.

19. geneticfusion thread starter macrumors member

I'm on tiered data., unfortunately.

I WOULD reserve one, but I'd have to open up a new line since I don't have the cost of an off contract phone, and if I DID reserve it, I'd be able to cancel it when I got there and swap phones, correct?

Oh, and TWEWY is really good. Just waiting for it to be updated to the iPhone 5.

20. SonRK macrumors 6502

I have decided to go ahead and return my 16GB iPhone 5 while I wait for a 32GB to come into stock (via the 10PM reservation online thing)

How do I handle getting money back from the Apple Care + that I purchased? Should I call Apple before I return my iPhone?

21. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Wish more would buy the 64 gb version, perhaps that would give Apple a clue that its time to upgrade capacities.

With some apps measuring over a gb and high def videos holding in at 1 to 1.5gb, we are well overdue for a capacity update.