I should have thought about storage capacity...

geneticfusion

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Welp, I've used my 16 gigs.

Music+Movies+Games, expecially games totaling up to 2.3gb...(I'm looking at you The World Ends With You.)

What would be the best way to get a 32 gig? I tried putting an iPhone in my cart to check inventory, but it disables it after a while until 10:00pm. I could always try RIGHT when the store opens....

Do you think stores would have stock come end of October? Or any way to check Apple's inventory?

And before you jump down my throat, I KNOW, I should've gotten the 32gb from the start..my mistake.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
are you tiered data? or unlimited?
if unlmited you can set up a ftp server at home.. stream all your music and movies. If music uses a lot of space, theres always spotify too. $9.99 a month. will be a litte more for 2 years of services vs upgrade to 32gb.. but I for one can not live without spottify. It really doesnt use too much data either you have the music bit rate set to normal. Hoe close do you get to using all your data?

Comment

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
if unlmited you can set up a ftp server at home.. stream all your music and movies. If music uses a lot of space, theres always spotify too. $9.99 a month. will be a litte more for 2 years of services vs upgrade to 32gb.. but I for one can not live without spottify. It really doesnt use too much data either you have the music bit rate set to normal. Hoe close do you get to using all your data?
Yep, if you're unlimited then access your music from the cloud. This potential is one of the reasons I decided that 32GB was more than enough. I have a 64GB IP4S and always had 20+GB free.

Comment

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Yep, if you're unlimited then access your music from the cloud. This potential is one of the reasons I decided that 32GB was more than enough. I have a 64GB IP4S and always had 20+GB free.
same here on my 4. i went to 16gb on the 4s. wasnt really enough, but since then i got a 16gb ipad 3.. games on there.
my iphone 5 16gb rarely gets past 10 gb

Comment

SonRK

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
Same here...

I just posted this on the exchange topic so I'll paste it here with some added thoughts;

I bought my iPhone 5 16GB out of contract from Radio Shack (Verizon)

and ....and I realized that 16GB is not enough. I have been calling them every day and they said new shipments haven't arrived / people with pre-orders still need theirs filled out, etc.

I asked if I could do an exchange at an Apple Store and pay difference (since it's retail and stuff, but then I remembered that they dont sell Out of Contract until after a few weeks) so that obviously didn't work

It's getting closer and closer to my 30 day deadline to exchange/return. I GUESS I COULD just return the phone and go wait patiently until a 32GB black out of contract comes in...

All these games for $1, and educational apps that take up 500+ MB really drained me down to 3GB left! That's so sick....and like I said it's been pretty futile in trying to do an exchange. I literally should just return it, go back to my Galaxy Nexus for a few days / weeks and then re-pick it up

Comment

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Same here...

I just posted this on the exchange topic so I'll paste it here with some added thoughts;

and ....and I realized that 16GB is not enough. I have been calling them every day and they said new shipments haven't arrived / people with pre-orders still need theirs filled out, etc.

I asked if I could do an exchange at an Apple Store and pay difference (since it's retail and stuff, but then I remembered that they dont sell Out of Contract until after a few weeks) so that obviously didn't work

It's getting closer and closer to my 30 day deadline to exchange/return. I GUESS I COULD just return the phone and go wait patiently until a 32GB black out of contract comes in...

All these games for $1, and educational apps that take up 500+ MB really drained me down to 3GB left! That's so sick....and like I said it's been pretty futile in trying to do an exchange. I literally should just return it, go back to my Galaxy Nexus for a few days / weeks and then re-pick it up
I know that what I am about to say is kind of a drag. But if you aren't willing ot live without an iPhone 5 until a 32 GB comes on the market it works. Just keep only the apps you use day to day on your phone. Delete everything else. Whenever you need another app just download it, use it and get rid of it afterwards.

Comment

chocoyo00

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
SoCal
Same here...

Why not just reserve online a phone for next day pick up? It's fairly easy to get one nowadays.

Comment

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Sign up for Google Music and dump all your music up there. This should free up some space as you would only have the ones you really listen to locally. Since maps has navigation you don't need any other gps apps so those 2 solutions right there should free up quite a bit of space.

Comment

lumpsuckers

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I started using spotify on my 4s when space started getting tight. Learned my lesson and just ordered the 32gb iphone 5.

Comment

chocoyo00

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
SoCal
Same here...

Why not just reserve online a phone for next day pick up? It's fairly easy to get one nowadays.

Comment

Mac-Maine

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
Sign up for Google Music and dump all your music up there. This should free up some space as you would only have the ones you really listen to locally. Since maps has navigation you don't need any other gps apps so those 2 solutions right there should free up quite a bit of space.
This

DL an app called GoMusic

Its the ONLY google music app out where your log in info isnt going thru a 3rd party, it goes straight to google

and its FREE

i have a 16gb iphone with over 30gb of music on it

Comment

socbrian

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
nc
What app or how do you view your movies that are on an FTP server? How fast could you seek on 3G ? is it painfully slow?

Comment

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
What app or how do you view your movies that are on an FTP server? How fast could you seek on 3G ? is it painfully slow?
i use the app called "downloads" and just download them in it. It has a built in palyer. or plex
if you have att.. youll be just fine.

for streaming

http://blog.dreamcss.com/iphone/dlna-streaming-apps-for-iphone/
not sure if these are just for local area.. or FTP.

im fairly certain you can just open the FTP in safari.. click the movie and it will open in the video player and start to buffer.

Comment

geneticfusion

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I'm on tiered data., unfortunately.

I WOULD reserve one, but I'd have to open up a new line since I don't have the cost of an off contract phone, and if I DID reserve it, I'd be able to cancel it when I got there and swap phones, correct?

Oh, and TWEWY is really good. Just waiting for it to be updated to the iPhone 5.

Comment

SonRK

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
I have decided to go ahead and return my 16GB iPhone 5 while I wait for a 32GB to come into stock (via the 10PM reservation online thing)

How do I handle getting money back from the Apple Care + that I purchased? Should I call Apple before I return my iPhone?

Comment

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Wish more would buy the 64 gb version, perhaps that would give Apple a clue that its time to upgrade capacities.

With some apps measuring over a gb and high def videos holding in at 1 to 1.5gb, we are well overdue for a capacity update.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.