I Spilled On My Macbook And Now It Won't Come Out Of Sleep Mode

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Arleigh, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Arleigh macrumors newbie

So I spilled some tea on my computer and it caused it to think that there is no more battery so it will only run off of the wall charger. Also it will turn on but the screen just flashes on and then goes back off like the computer thinks that the screen is closed. I was wondering if anyone would know which parts i would need to change that would cause these problems... maybe i need a new logic board?...:eek:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My god, I've never heard of anyone spilling anything on their Mac!
    Holy hell, this must be terrible for you. :rolleyes:

Your logic board appears to be fried. Warranty voided. You're SOL unless you buy a new one or pay the $900-$1300 for a new logic board repair.

3. Arleigh thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it is fried. i forgot to say that some times the screen will come on long enough to see the login screen but then it goes off again

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And so continues the trend of at least 4 " i spilled _____" on my macbook threads.

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE EVEN TAKE CHANCES WITH A $1300 INVESTMENT!??

put the damn bottlecap on or better yet, dont have liquids near your computer!

And to the OP, your basically screwed, warrantly voided, my condolences. If this happens somehow with my macbook (when I finally get one) I will literally break down in tears. I've been saving for way too long to go mac for that to happen.

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

RULE #1 when spilling liquid on an electronic device. TURN THE DEVICE OFF IMMEDIATELY AND LET DRY FOR A FEW DAYS BEFORE EVEN ATTEMPTING TO TURN IT ON.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The volume of spills on this board is astounding.

OP: If you tried turning it on too early, you could have fried the whole logic board. Leave it to dry, upside down. Come back in a couple days.

7. mbonamassa macrumors newbie

My wife did a similar thing a few month back with wine. The best advice you have received is to leave it off for a few days to dry out but you can't take that since it is OBE. For what it is worth we had exactly the same symptoms as you describe. I opened the MB dried off everything that had any dampness then let it sit for a couple days (upside down). We finally got it to the point where it will run fine with the power plugged in but won't charge the battery (or even acknowledge that it exists). Strange thing is that if you unplug the power it just suspends and restarts where it left off when the power was removed. So now the laptop is a desktop and otherwise works fine. As far as diagnosis it is either the Logic Board or the power board. The power board is only about $70 but the logic board is too much and it would be better to replace it. I did not try the power board because of all the disassembly required and chose to just get my wife another and let our son use the power tethered MB.

Best of luck.

8. dquattlebum macrumors member

How about keeping liquids away from your electronics? Sounds pretty easy.