I still have 128kbps tracks from iTunes that I bought years ago.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kendo, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

With iCloud, if I download them all over again, what will happen? Does the iTunes Store even still carry these songs in a lower bit rate? Or will they give me the upgraded 256kbps version? This isn't really an iTunes Match question, it is more a question of them giving me the 256kbps version just because they don't carry the 128kbps anymore?

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If it is matched, you will get 256 Kbps, DRM free. Without iTunes Match, I think I tried it and got 128 Kbps.

3. lostless macrumors 6502

If you purchased a song as 128Kb/s back in the day and redownload that song from the cloud, it will download as 128Kb/s DRMed AAC. If you purchase iTunes match, songs can be upgraded to 256Kb/s DRM free if you delete the original song from your library if iTunes still has that song. It will still download the DRMed version if you go to previous purchases and download from there.

4. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

I covered this (and many other related questions) on my appculture blog, if you're interested: http://appculture.net/how-does-itunes-match-work/

(seriously, not just being promotional here... it's become a hell of a resource!)

Long story short, as others have said, yes, you'll get the 256k versions.