I still have 5 months left on my T-Mobile contract... how can I get an iPhone now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 2A Batterie, Jul 22, 2008.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Here's my dilemma:

1. My current contract is with T-Mobile for another 5 months.
    2. My current T-Mobile cell phone is broken.
    3. I'd like to keep my current number, as I've had it for the past 10 years.
    4. I don't want to pay any early termination fees.
    5. I want an iPhone 3G.

Does anyone know of any loop holes?

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

not until 3G unlock comes out, which hopefully will be soon since the jb is out. otherwise just get an original one. with 2.0 the original is better IMO

3. apb509 macrumors member

T-Mobile's text message plans recently went up from $.15 to $.20 per msg (I believe, not sure of the exact numbers; positive it was a $.05 increase). There's a clause in their contracts that you can cancel a contract you have with them if any of their rates change and you deem them to be "monetarily adverse" (or something to that effect). There is a window from the date the change went into effect to the date that you can use this excuse.. (again not sure of specifics).

I know this loophole exists, just not sure if you've already missed your window of opportunity. Perhaps others can shed some more light on this?

4. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

No loop holes that I know of. I can see only one option if you want an Iphone without penalty. You could buy an unlocked first gen Iphone and that would work on T-mobile until your contract is up. Then you can alway move over to AT&T and get your 3G phone.

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Sometimes you have to compromise when it comes to things like this, and if you want to keep everything done legally with T-Mobile, Apple & AT&T, then you will have to pay an early-termination with T-Mobile, but that usually isn't more than $175. But one excuse that I have heard of people using (or at least attempting to use) is that they are moving to an area that doesn't have service under their current carrier, but I personally don't see the T-Mobile personal being that stupid by not checking the facts.

6. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

7. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Every cell phone company has a loop hole to get out of their contract. You just have to find it. Just a little hint, Most cell phone companies raise their rates(texts,data,taxes,etc..) without your knowledge or consent which is a deal breaker. At least thats how i got outta sprint. AS far as keeping your same number, u need to take your phone to ATT and have it ported over BEFORE you cancel your t-mobile acct. Otherwise u will loose that number for good. Search around on the internet for tmobile loopholes and stuff and im sure u will find something. Good luck.

8. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Man... ugh. So I guess I'd have to go on eBay to buy an unlocked iPhone since first gen iPhones probably aren't sold in stores now?

And unfortunately I do have unlimited texts on my T-Mobile plan.

9. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

Yep and you will pay a premium since they are no longer available new.

10. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

ARe u not reading what everyone is telling u? Find the loophole. GO to ATT and port your number. Buy the new iphone3g for the discounted price and be happy.

11. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I've searched for loopholes, and the only one I can find is about raising the price of texts. Unfortunately, this does not apply to me at all since I have unlimited texts. I'm not sure I can just call up t-mobile and say that I'm moving to a different location out of T-Mobiles range without proof. Anyone know of any other loopholes?

12. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

I say screw the loopholes. If you are this hot-to-trot on the iPhone you should just bite the bullet and get it. Pay the early term. fee and move on. If you really can't afford it then you can use as meditation device to improve your Buddhist practice. 4 Noble Truths and such.

Seriously, get the phone. I had to pay the early term. fee last year when I got mine and it was worth it then and I would do it again if I had to.

13. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

If you are like me then you wouldn't give a damn about the 3G. I won a bid for a 2G iPhone 8GB on Ebay yesterday. I still have couple months left with T-Mobile and I'm in a family plan, so screw atnt and it's expensive plans.

14. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Yea I'm considering doing that.... it's just that old unlocked iPhones on eBay are going for a higher rate than the new ones! I'm also traveling for four months straight and would have a hard time getting one sent to me via any mailing service.

15. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Get them to not like you!

Get them to not like you!

It may be more difficult with T-Mobile than other carriers but try to get into a digital roaming area and use as many minutes as you can. Also, if you have any unlimited time, such as evenings and weekends, use as many minutes as you can, such as dial a land to a land line and leave it on all night and all weekend. T-Mobile may have to pay for time on other networks and this is how you may get them to "not like you". A nephew got booted from his carrier (Verizon or Cingular, don't remember which) because he went to school a long distance from home and eventually they asked him to leave. BTW, they also tried to charge him an early termination fee for leaving before his contract was up! He immediately said "no way" and told them they could either cancel him or he was going to remain using their service and let them absorb the extra out of area costs. They eventually released him and did not ding him for the extra fee.

Like I said, I am not sure if this will work with T-Mobile. Depending on the contracts they have with other networks this may or may not work as it does on other carriers.

Also, be very careful about where you go out of your area to do this. I live in a state bordering Canada and there are a few northern carriers that T-Mobile told me they don't have good contracts with and users get charged expensive rates on those networks.

Good luck.
    ;)

16. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

you can try a couple ways to get out early by telling them that your moving overseas, that usually works i've heard but your not going to be able to keep your same number

17. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

T-Mobile will not let you out of contract without paying for every single month you have remaining. It's a contract, you signed up for 12, 18 or 24 months knowing that you were going to have to give them money for that period, so why on earth do you think they'll let you go early?

The Unfair Contract Terms Act is no help to you here.

18. ottergal macrumors member

You might try seeing if they will honor their new pro-rated early term fee policy: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9975212-7.html

The meaty part of that article is this:
    Beginning on June 28, customers with a one-year or two-year contract with T-Mobile will see their early termination fee drop from $200 to $100 if they end their contract with 91 to 180 days remaining on their agreement. If they end a contract with fewer than 91 days left on it, they will pay a termination of fee of $50. For customers who terminate their service in the last 30 days of their contract they will either pay the $50 fee or their standard monthly charge, depending on which one is cheaper.

The new policy only applies to new T-Mobile subscribers and subscribers who are renewing their contracts on or after June 28.

Keep in mind that a) it's only going to save you $75 if they do honor it and b) they probably won't because it's for new customers... when you signed up you agreed to a different term. BUT, it's worth trying. Just remember if you do try, more flies with honey, right?

19. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

So I've decided to pull the trigger somehow. How should I go about porting my number? Should I wait to try and weasel my way out of my T-Mobile contract until I get to the AT&T or Apple store? If I get out of/cancel my T-Mobile contract before I purchase an iPhone, will I lose the chance to port my number? One way or the other, I am getting an iPhone. Also, I'm on a tour and can't order a phone and have it delivered to the local store or my home. Is there any chance of me just waltzing into an Apple/AT&T store and getting one?