I support the right to arm bears!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

2. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I hope we will not arm bears.

This year, I have seen lots of black bears including one that walked 5' from me while I was sitting on a porch :).

3. Zenithal macrumors G3

The rare bears we get take a dip in people's pools or sleep under the sun. I once witnessed an idiot get rammed by a young bison because he was being a dick to it. Greatest show I've ever witnessed.

4. Herdfan macrumors 6502

What a moron. Normally Black Bears are not a threat to humans. They avoid us like we avoid them.

But when a mom has cubs, stay TF away.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

sad thing is if the bear defended her cubs by attacking the POS moron the bear would be the one getting killed :(

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Maybe the guy was trying to keep the bears from wandering into the road? But, yeah, a near-Darwin Award.

7. Mousse macrumors 68020

Mousse

I can't believe Kipling's The Female of the Species isn't require reading in school. A long poem, but like any great piece of literature, worth reading.:cool:

The TL;DR version. The female of the species is more deadly. This is why I never, EVER piss off the Missus.:oops: I'm all bark and no bite. The Missus speaks softly and carry a big stick...and she uses it too.:p:D:D

8. Solomani, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019

Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

Yep, I totally understand the difference. I sympathize (with people) when the bears wander into people's backyards and property, and those people naturally get spooked and defensive (fight or flight instinct) about bears intruding into their property.

But in the case of the video above that occurs in a State Park (Smoky Mountains I think), it happens to be designated as their home, the grey-haired idiot man above is intentionally provoking the bear in a protected wildlife park designated as the home turf of the bears. Idiots like him I don't have sympathy if they get mauled. In the video, you can hear them laughing.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 15, 2019 ---
    Possibly. But he was also coming towards the cubs, as if wanting to tease them or provoke them…. which is an incredibly stupid thing to do.

9. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

It can be a tough decision when you are walking and encounter a bear cub and the mother isn't visible. You know that you need to move away from the cub but you aren't sure the safest way.

It can be tougher when you are walking a stupid dog and encounter a bear and her cub :).

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

That happened top me once in the Appalachians. Cam across two cubs who freaked, climbed a nearby tree, and starting calling for mama bear. I had no idea which direction the mama bear might come from , so just picked a direction and slunk off as quickly as I could.

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Bears are armed naturally with a fistful of sharp claws on each paw. Good on the bear I say! Ask Timothy Treadwell.

12. Zenithal macrumors G3

That's somewhat the problem. A lot of this area was developed on wild land and even today it's not uncommon to site 5-8 coyotes prowling around at night looking for someone's poodle to eat. In the time I've owned my home here, I've had to discard maybe a few dozen rabbit feet or carcass strewn about. The first time I saw a coyote I thought some idiot on the blocks nearby let their dog out because I didn't see a lead on the pup. Then I realized what I was staring down at and slowly made my way inside so as not to entice the creature.

13. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Only if you force the bears to take a mandatory safety class and store their arms in a locked container.

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I would agree with you. Once bears have been as stupid as the human race and gone on mass clawings while showing themselves as incapable of handling such deadly weapons.

15. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Mamma Bear should have at least smacked him around and nibbled on him a little.

He is lucky he didn’t get between the mother and her cubs.

16. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

17. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

I'd be wary of going eye to eye with one coyote. But I know one coyote can't kill me (tho it could seriously injure me with a rabies bite).

Now…. if I stumbled into a pack of coyotes just a couple dozen feet away from me, oh yes I would be very concerned for my safety. Even small pack animals such as coyotes become 10 times bolder and more aggressive when they know they outnumber you (a larger creature).

18. Herdfan macrumors 6502

The brain trust that runs the DNR many years ago increased our coyote population to help control deer. (Why they didn't just issue more deer tags I don't know.) So now they are controlling our population of small pets. :(

The other issue we have here is they breed with stray dogs, usually large ones, so they are now bigger than a standard coyote and less afraid of humans. Not a good combination.

19. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

This thread seems like it's panda-ring to a specific group, it'll probably cause some polar-rizing reactions ... the results could be __grizzly__.

OK, I've got to get back to making lunch ... I'm black-ening some fish and brown-ing some onions ...

20. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

Your sense of humor….. it's un-bear-able! If you continue, it might Bruin your reputation!

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

At the risk of sounding insensitive, I have far more appreciation of coyotes than poodles.